Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does society dislike and/or discriminate against introverts?
Yes 100 84.75%
No 18 15.25%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times

Advertisements

[quote=nightbird47;25182305]Not eveyone is a good listener, but an introvert is more likely to be. But they may also see throughR]surface that the extrovert doesn't see as one and point it out. Maybe if your idea of torture is sitting alone at home you never will. But that's the point. Someone who doesn't look through the same filter can often point out what you don't see.

My guess is you really don't want to 'understand'. I personally don't care if you do, so long as I am respected. But no, I don't 'understand' someone who can't stand a silent room as peaceful and welcome. Your welcome to not 'understand' as well.

It doesn't matter to me as I'm not your keeper

You just proved my point about POOR LISTENING. I said I COULD UNDERSTAND all points of view. My mum, sis are introverts, reserved and private. My best friend ,too, the CRUCIAL DIFFERENCE between them and the selfish ones is they understand that SOME conversation is not a sin and they ADJUST ACCORDINGLY. Talk less if that is what is wanted , too,of course!

Some people on this forum get alll huffed about about other people wanting fake friends, being insecure and wanting attention!Obviously, some are like that but an equal mumber aren"t. Maybe they AREN'T NOTICED because some introverts only focus on themselves and the "'other baddies""?

Last edited by Gudra; 07-16-2012 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
[quote=Gudra;25188780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not eveyone is a good listener, but an introvert is more likely to be. But they may also see throughR]surface that the extrovert doesn't see as one and point it out. Maybe if your idea of torture is sitting alone at home you never will. But that's the point. Someone who doesn't look through the same filter can often point out what you don't see.

My guess is you really don't want to 'understand'. I personally don't care if you do, so long as I am respected. But no, I don't 'understand' someone who can't stand a silent room as peaceful and welcome. Your welcome to not 'understand' as well.

It doesn't matter to me as I'm not your keeper

You just proved my point about POOR LISTENING. I said I COULD UNDERSTAND all points of view. My mum, sis are introverts, reserved and private. My best friend ,too, the CRUCIAL DIFFERENCE between them and the selfish ones is they understand that SOME conversation is not a sin and they ADJUST ACCORDINGLY. Talk less if that is what is wanted , too,of course!

Some people on this forum get alll huffed about about other people wanting fake friends, being insecure and wanting attention!Obviously, some are like that but an equal mumber aren"t. Maybe they AREN'T NOTICED because some introverts only focus on themselves and the "'other baddies""?
First of all, when I talk with friends I listen and understand. But if I just want to be left alone and someone wants to talk and they won't go, they get tuned out. If its a joint venture, sure I'll listen. I still cannot understand why someone would enjoy floating on the surface, but its their life. Just as I don't expect anyone who does to understand the joy of watching the room. Truth is I hate groups and would much rather be ignored.

Most likely its not that I came because I wanted to be there.

Its called respecting space. I have friends. But I won't start a conversation and my reaction should show someone else I'm not interested.

And its not nice to call people 'baddies'.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Nonsense, quite a lot of introverts are POOR listeners- and selfish, too. I am privy to some of them , they are rather often WORSE THAN THE maligned extroverts but can give off the impression they are smart, calm and nice. Not . I can understand in/extroverts and in betweens- but will the introverts want do the same ?!
I've personally dealt with a lot of selfish "extroverts". Perhaps these "introverts" can sense when someone is looking down on them. (I can) Maybe you are giving off some sort of "vibe" that rubs them the wrong way. (judging by your post) I can apply everything you said to the "extroverts." I've dealt with so many "extroverts" that twist everything I say so that they can continue on with their belittling (Talk about not listening). So what's the point?

Also note, this Introvert/extrovert label is not always going to be accurate. I am an "introvert." However, there was a certain point in my life when I was an extrovert. I guess it depends on what type of people I'm around. (I guess)

If I sense that you are full of s*** and are just going to work me over, you aren't going to get much out of me.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
everyone discriminates against everybody else. the term discriminate is commonly used to describe activities that violate civil rights law. unfortunately that has been narrowed in our court system (& EEOC) to just mean white on black violations or women's rights. of late thru extreme activism, gays have also made some inroads. i regret there is no archie bunker movement so this group continues to get what is left in the bottom of the pot.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Understand. I'm human and have never felt compelled to pick on those who I thought were below me. Those who I think are below me don't deserve my time or attention. Maybe it has more to do with the self esteem of the extrovert (aggressive one) not the introvert.

I don't do that either and just for example in other threads where aggressive males shout insults at women on the street. again, they feel compelled to give these women their .02 cents without having been asked. IMO most extroverts feel 'compelled' to do a lot of things where other people are concerned and mostly all of the motive for it is based on their personal wants/needs.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,779 times
Default Introverts can be targets of discrimination

I am proudly an introvert...a physician by training a good chunk of my time is spent reading and keeping up on the latest medical information. I also prefer to listen to my patients rather than talk over them which has helped me to understand and appreciate my patient's point of view rather than just rushing in and doing "what I think" needs to be done.

Unfortunately, I have experienced discrimination against my introversion. As a former faculty member at a major university, I had a department chair routinely berate me for my introversion. Never mind that I was more efficient and was able to handle more work than my peers (they had to hire three faculty to replace me when I left). My performance evaluations were always top notch and my patient reviews were always positive. I eventually complained to the secretary of the faculty and the ombudsman who did little to support me, and referred me for "counseling".

I applied for a fellowship about 2 years ago and was asked to return to do a week "observership" because they needed to "get to know me better" because I was "too quiet". When the time came to select a fellowship program...they were not on the top of my list (they did offer me the position but I turned them down).

I'm tired of being in an extraverted society. There is beauty to being able to think through things before opening one's mouth. I'm tired of sitting in meetings where extraverts take up everyone elses time rambling through their thoughts because they haven't done the respectful thing of coming prepared and expect everyone else to stop what they're doing so they can "think through" things. Extraverts have a lot to learn from us...

Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
I'm an extreme extrovert and love to purposely single out and talk to people who appear to be introverted.
The last coworker I did this to is now a good friend.
After going up to him and constantly making conversation he finally broke down and said he might as well talk with me since it was obvious I wasn't going to allow him to do otherwise.

One thing I hate on an epic scale are healthcare providers with a personality of a bag of sh7t.
Be friendly, smile and engage your damn self when it comes to my health!
I've auditioned physicians that were just horrible because they were too locked away in their thought process to even interact with me outside of yes/no questions.
Did they beat you into submission at the particular med school you went to idiot?!!

I now have a doctor who smiles, jokes, is kind to his staff and actually gives a sh8t about my overall health and not just my medical issues at the time.

Since NASA is shot to hell the only thing introverts are good for is accounting and IT.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:11 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm an extreme extrovert and love to purposely single out and talk to people who appear to be introverted.
The last coworker I did this to is now a good friend.
After going up to him and constantly making conversation he finally broke down and said he might as well talk with me since it was obvious I wasn't going to allow him to do otherwise.

One thing I hate on an epic scale are healthcare providers with a personality of a bag of sh7t.
Be friendly, smile and engage your damn self when it comes to my health!
I've auditioned physicians that were just horrible because they were too locked away in their thought process to even interact with me outside of yes/no questions.
Did they beat you into submission at the particular med school you went to idiot?!!

I now have a doctor who smiles, jokes, is kind to his staff and actually gives a sh8t about my overall health and not just my medical issues at the time.

Since NASA is shot to hell the only thing introverts are good for is accounting and IT.
So introverts are heartless people and should only go into accounting and IT. Extroverts however the world is their oyster.

You have your own problems since you had to break this guy so he could talk to you. Most won't see it that way but if you see yourself on some crusade to break introverts. I mean you made friends with an introvert then go on to say they have the personality of sh7t.
It's this kind of generalizing and thought process is why introverts feel the way they do. If folks are going to be that judgmental then I suggest that engaging with people is really overrated.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Probably. Way to many people love to discriminate in America. It would just be another group of people, that has been singled out as different.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 PM

24,105 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
How does this affect an IT geek who makes $85K (geekiness and income hypothetical) who lives a fulfilling life and always has? He or she is not cowering from anyone and does not feel oppressed. If that person was trying to be an investment banker, however, then I'd say they'd have a problem on their hands.

It doesn't effect an IT Geek. However there are more professions that it does effect than an investment banker. And at every level of employment. If one is truly talented in some field - mathematics, art, IT geekery, classical musician, writing - it doesn't matter.

However, if the introvert in question is kind of average at everything, winging it without an outgoing personality becomes way more difficult.

In so many professions, a degree of selling one's self is involved. All things being equal, would you rather have a doctor for example, who was outgoing and at ease with herself or stiff, quiet and ill at ease?

Again, if this is a genius doctor and there is a life threatening problem and the doctor is amazingly skilled - it doesn't matter. With more commonplace situations, it seems to.

And socially, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology