Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Hey, this is a psychology thread, so cause and effect are "right at home" here.

There is some evidence of chauvinism and misogyny on some sub-forums here. (The retorts from women could also be considered misandric, but that's not being evaluated here.) I don't know if it's just the eternal "battle of the sexes" but, assuming it's actually chauvinism and misogyny, what causes it? Are they different things or two sides of a coin?

Please discuss civilly.
I think both of these things are a direct result of men who dislike women in general, have been hurt by them, familial or otherwise, and also can come from very insecure and shallow men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
it happens when we dont treat each other well. of course the most critical thing to grasp, u have to call it correctly. is it an attack or a defense??
many attack and assert they were only defending themselves.
the "initial deterrant strike" argument is often used. arguing that your attack really wasn't an attack but only self defense. the victim card is a giant in this game and often the property of women and minorities. archie bunker has a rough time in this game, its not his best sport. he should probably stick to bowling. if little archie were to learn to do prenups instead of believing everything that is said, life would get as good as his bowling score.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
archie bunker has a rough time in this game, its not his best sport. he should probably stick to bowling. if little archie were to learn to do prenups instead of believing everything that is said, life would get as good as his bowling score.
Huck, have you seen the density in Queens? I often wondered where they hide the bowling alleys and if they have any parking?

As a side note, I think Archie and Edith really loved each other, in a not very apparent kind of way.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Huck, have you seen the density in Queens? I often wondered where they hide the bowling alleys and if they have any parking?

As a side note, I think Archie and Edith really loved each other, in a not very apparent kind of way.
nobody said it would be easy breezy. every place got em, paris is 58,000 people per square mile but they got bowling, been there done that.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...de_France.html

Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Is the US/Canada matriarchal or patriarchal?
Western societies are patriarchal. Most Asian societies are too, these days.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I think both of these things are a direct result of men who dislike women in general, have been hurt by them, familial or otherwise, and also can come from very insecure and shallow men.
This can also result from men feeling threatened in the workplace by women, feeling like their position of dominance could be taken away by women qualified to do the job. Men are used to running things. They're not going to give up their place without a fight (many of them, anyway).

What I don't understand is why are so many young men, even when still in college, arrogant and ego-driven? Why are parents raising their boys to be self-centered and to feel entitled? It's bizarre how guys with a fresh BA (or not even that, but with some experience interning) think they're experts in their field already and even think they know better than people with far more experience. What's going on in the parenting department that fosters this arrogance? There's a direct relationship between arrogance and how guys treat their women.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nobody said it would be easy breezy. every place got em, paris is 58,000 people per square mile but they got bowling, been there done that.
Bowling Alley on the Champs Elysees? - Paris Forum - TripAdvisor
That's great...going to Paris to bowl!!!

Back on topic...

Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Foot binding also took place in a time where women had very few rights. The woman who had sons as opposed to daughters had much more status.

I'm not sure that women actually wear high heels and "think nothing of it". Even feminists feel some pressure to conform to a female ideal.

I don't know about other women, but when I wear a pair of heels at least 75% of the time they are at least somewhat uncomfortable, so it is pretty much impossible to "think nothing of it". I don't wear them often, but when I do, why do I do it? To look more attractive. Why? Not sure. Cuz once in a while I don't want to be the dullest looking female in the room.

What does it mean? No clue!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
A son having a poor or abusive relationship with his mother and/or sister may be a factor. If a man's mother growing up was unable to provide the proper support or stability, he may grow up to not have the capability to respect women.

On the other hand if close to his mother he probably has more of a balanced view of other women.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Western societies are patriarchal. Most Asian societies are too, these days.
In some ways I think even now Asian societies (especially SE Asia and China, Japan and Korea not so much) are more gender-equal than Western societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology