Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times

Advertisements

The first year of your new age range is usually the beginning of a new phase in your life. What I mean by this is when you reach a birthday that indicates that a new decade in your life begun, you tend to reflect on what your life has been up to that point and where you are in life at that moment as well as what you expect your life to be like in the new decade. Now that is only part of the equation, what I am talking about here is the psychological effects if any that reaching certain ages has on us. For me turning 30 was not something I was happy about but after that I was pretty much ok with turning 31, 32 etc. that was until I reached 40. That bothered me even more because I wasn't happy to admit I was a 40 year old man. I have to admit that I feel better than ever now but it is the fact that I am the age that I am that sometimes bothers me. I know what they say, age is nothing but a number but I know that knowing how old I am is always there in the back of my mind and was wondering if some of you feel or have felt the same way I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
My last 2 new age ranges were years that I had to be hospitalized with some temporary health problems with subsequent monitoring tests. But otherwise, I had no other major psychological effects.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Health problems are a hard one to swallow. I have been fortunate enough to say I have been healthy. My issues was definitely a result of mentalities that are acquired over time. Today a active lifestyle is encouraged although not everyone does have one.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
I think each decade becomes tougher after 20.

I would imagine that 50 and 60 are the toughest. The reason the experts say that is because you can't make any more major life changes.

At 70, a person should be in Palm Springs, Fort Lauderdale, or the mountains of NC, and not be worried about changes, but perhaps their health.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
My Dad still climbed on his roof to replace missing tiles in his early 80's. (And he viewed this as perfectly normal since he was still active and limber.)..My husband used to climb on our roof or climb-up in our attic to check on things when he was in his 60's...I'm in my 60's now and I can probably walk farther than people half my age!.. I still dance and "shake my booty!" (And I'm not talking about "slow" dancing!)...My cousin (in the Mid-West) is in her upper 70's now and she still does farming and helps her kids with cattle and runs her own business. Plus she drives all across her state and into neighboring states when need be!..I've never been one to "freak-out" about my age! I just keep "doing" what needs "to be done" and I don't sit around feeling sorry for myself because of my age...I think we're here to "live life" to the fullest. And when it's our time to "go" we'll move on to some brand new "adventures" in a different place and keep on "kicking!"...Age is basically a state of mind. If we consider ourselves "old" and a "has been" this is what we'll become!...I don't let society tell me "who" I'm suppose to "be." Or what I "can" or "can't do" based on some stupid numbers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology