Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:54 PM

588 posts, read 956,854 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I seem to be drawn to men who are either depressed, suicidal or have suffered a loss. Their helplessness, tears and/or pain pulls me in, and I find myself wanting to rescue them. I've even fallen more in love during a crisis. It's baffling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
For some reason, I seem to be drawn to men who are either depressed, suicidal or have suffered a loss. Their helplessness, tears and/or pain pulls me in, and I find myself wanting to rescue them. I've even fallen more in love during a crisis. It's baffling.
I'm sorry, what's the baffling part? You're drawn to them because you want to rescue them--you said so yourself. Where's the mystery here?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
Mia25, That's not love or infatuation. Often times women drawn to toxic men usually aid and/or assist in their complete destruction up and including death. My mother used to love to spend time with people who were dying. I accused her of accelerating their deaths in her pursuit to become a female undertaker. She stopped caring for or spending time with the dying when she said she met the angel of death. All of friends around her started dying, she said it was as if all her guardian angles had their wings clipped. Her brother died prematurely of cancer and her father died at a young age of a massive heart attack.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Are you a Virgo by any chance? We like to fix problems. Even if we can't.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Are you a Virgo by any chance? We like to fix problems. Even if we can't.
It's been my experience that Leo's cause the most problems on this earth. That is only if you believe in astrology.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
It's been my experience that Leo's cause the most problems on this earth. That is only if you believe in astrology.
I'm a Virgo who thought she could "fix" a Leo! It all makes sense now!

I don't really believe in astrology but I like how coincidences can happen with it. And for the record I wasn't intending to "fix" the guy but ultimately that's how one would describe the situation. I never acted on it but I thought if I were able to show my love for him that I could change him. haha!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Maybe there's something about their vulnerability that attracts you.

In that case, you'll probably love me .

Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I would recommend that you read Lillian Glass' books on Toxic People, if you have not already. You may start with TOXIC MEN. Her books contain some great insights and may steer you into the direction you need to take care of yourself first.

As for your original question, I like to use the analogy of a black hole. Toxic people are like black holes. A Black hole is an object in space that sucks in everything , even light. Nothing can escape the pull of a black hoe and once drawn in, nothing can escape.
Toxic people suck in everyone around them, (like magnets yes) They want to drag everyone else into their own personal hell. Some people I have observed are not happy in life unless they can make everyone around them more unhappy than they are. They want others to suffer, to be miserable, and the only happiness they have in life is the comparative "At leat I am not as bad off as you" Which they can attain ONLY by destroying the happiness of those around them.
The best advice we have for dealing with black holes is just don;t get close to one.
The best advice for toxic people is to recognize them and the games they play and simply do not play along. If they want to play, let them find someone else to play with, or play alone, which is how most of them will otherwise finnish anyway.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I would recommend that you read Lillian Glass' books on Toxic People, if you have not already. You may start with TOXIC MEN. Her books contain some great insights and may steer you into the direction you need to take care of yourself first.

As for your original question, I like to use the analogy of a black hole. Toxic people are like black holes. A Black hole is an object in space that sucks in everything , even light. Nothing can escape the pull of a black hoe and once drawn in, nothing can escape.
Toxic people suck in everyone around them, (like magnets yes) They want to drag everyone else into their own personal hell. Some people I have observed are not happy in life unless they can make everyone around them more unhappy than they are. They want others to suffer, to be miserable, and the only happiness they have in life is the comparative "At leat I am not as bad off as you" Which they can attain ONLY by destroying the happiness of those around them.
The best advice we have for dealing with black holes is just don;t get close to one.
The best advice for toxic people is to recognize them and the games they play and simply do not play along. If they want to play, let them find someone else to play with, or play alone, which is how most of them will otherwise finnish anyway.
Kudos! Well said. Misery loves company thats why they spread it around.
As for the topic starter; I'd say look at your life. What are you not forfilling that leaves only room to rescue someone in "worse" shape?
I mean, it's nice to be able to help someone when they are down. We've all been there at some time. BUT, it is not your job to fix all the broken men that come across your path. Sorry, if I sound too harsh. If I knew you I'd be a lot louder probably about it. I guess that's why I don't have many friends

Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
You're a rescuer. You have a need to be needed and get meaning from helping people. You can resolve it through therapy, it's a well-known type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology