Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

People can say the OP is being a prick. Maybe he is, a little. But lets be honest. Physically and emotionally healthy people tend to hang out with other physically and emotionally healthy people and vice versa.

A friend of a friend started going to Overeaters Anonymous and she eventually lost 85 lbs. One of the issues that came up early in her 12 step program was that she had a hard time hanging around her old (overweight) friends because she came to realize how much of their lives revolved around eating.

So in many ways, it's completely rational to hang around healthy people if you want to be healthy yourself. I liken it to someone who doesn't use drugs not wanting to hang around drug addicts.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 07-15-2012 at 02:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 02:07 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
drugs and overreating , theres no comparison... the only way Id consider really obese people affecting others is children at school being teased over an adult parent...

Old 07-15-2012, 02:12 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
People can say the OP is being a prick. Maybe he is, a little. But lets be honest. Physically and emotionally people tend to hand out with other physically and emotionally healthy people and vice versa.

A friend of a friend started going to Overeaters Anonymous and she eventually lost 85 lbs. One of the issues that came up early in her 12 step program was that she had a hard time hanging around her old (overweight) friends because she came to realize how much of their lives revolved around eating.

So in many ways, it's completely rational to hang around healthy people if you want to be healthy yourself. I liken it to someone who doesn't use drugs not wanting to hang around drug addicts.

Boom, there it is! Overeaters anonymous exist because its treated like AA, right? 12 step program sounds just like AA.

People act like the majority of overweight people are overweight due to issues out of their control via health issues. Nearly all of the overweight people I know are simply lazy. Many of my friends I've grown up with are now overweight. Yea, they don't care as much about their body due to work, kids, stress, etc with being an adult. If you can't manage handling life without eating yourself into obesity, that's a personal choice. I've gained 10 pounds here and there, the second my pants get tight...I tell myself, "oh s*it, I need to lose weight." I simply refuse to purchase new pants. The second I buy bigger pants, thats the second I give up.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
drugs and overreating , theres no comparison... the only way Id consider really obese people affecting others is children at school being teased over an adult parent...

No comparison? Why not? Do you seriously think the majority of overweight people have issues limiting their ability to lose weight?

Plenty of people have genetic traits which make them more likely to become drug users. We tell them to stay away and remain strong. The same could be said to the overweight yet we don't tell them anything unless they are severely overweight.

I don't see a difference between putting away a 12-pack of beer or a 12-pack of Doritos. You get a rush from both and are used to cope with pain. One makes you a drunk and the other makes you fat. Drunks are looked down upon and fat is acceptable? And overall, it's pretty comparable calories wise. If you wanna do either, go for it and I'm not saying I don't...I just keep it in check because I have self control.

If you can't control that and fully respect yourself, why should you expect others to fully respect you?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
drugs and overreating , there's no comparison... the only way I'd consider really obese people affecting others is children at school being teased over an adult parent...
Research is showing more and more that obesity is contagious.

....people were most likely to become obese when a friend became obese. That increased a person’s chances of becoming obese by 57 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/25/health/25cnd-fat.html

Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I've gained 10 pounds here and there, the second my pants get tight...I tell myself, "oh s*it, I need to lose weight." I simply refuse to purchase new pants. The second I buy bigger pants, thats the second I give up.
I do the same thing when my pants get tight. I force myself to walk more, swim more, take the stairs more, and eat less.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
A pound of fat equals 3500 calories. One hour of walking burn 252 calories. To burn the 3500 a person would walk 13.8 hours. Or 138 hours for a 10 pound burn. Many would find a 17 day walk of 8 hours a day difficult to do.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
A pound of fat equals 3500 calories. One hour of walking burn 252 calories. To burn the 3500 a person would walk 13.8 hours. Or 138 hours for a 10 pound burn. Many would find a 17 day walk of 8 hours a day difficult to do.
Some of this depends on the person's size, too.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
God I know what you mean OP.

I can't stand skinny people...I mean, how DARE THEY?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Actually, it's hard to equate Overeaters Anonymous with Alcoholics Anonymous. Alcohol is not necessary consumption for survival, while food is. I don't know anyone who needs alcohol to survive, but I don't know anyone that can survive if kept foodless for an indeterminate period.

Alcoholics Anonymous does not LIMIT alcohol. It PROHIBITS IT. Therefore, alcoholics are not in a constant state of torture by being allowed to have "just a limited amount." IN FACT, isn't it true that Alcoholics
Anonymous consider one drink to be a failure, and expect the members of the group to have no drinks at all?

Hell, if overeaters could stay away from all food, if it were possible in the same way that alcoholics do, it would be far easier than it is. But food is necessary for survival, and so one must tease oneself by having only a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, kinda like, "Oh, I think I'll have only one drink."

I do have one question though. You say overeaters are lazy. Does that mean that you were lazy? Are you a lazy person fighting hard not to fall back into laziness? Are you at heart some inferior creature, fighting hard not to be inferior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Boom, there it is! Overeaters anonymous exist because its treated like AA, right? 12 step program sounds just like AA.

People act like the majority of overweight people are overweight due to issues out of their control via health issues. Nearly all of the overweight people I know are simply lazy. Many of my friends I've grown up with are now overweight. Yea, they don't care as much about their body due to work, kids, stress, etc with being an adult. If you can't manage handling life without eating yourself into obesity, that's a personal choice. I've gained 10 pounds here and there, the second my pants get tight...I tell myself, "oh s*it, I need to lose weight." I simply refuse to purchase new pants. The second I buy bigger pants, thats the second I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology