Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times

Advertisements

good point booklover, it seems to work that way for a lot of people

Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I could loose 30lbs and I might. I've done it many times before

My brother has always been obese. He lost a lot of weight a few years back but it turns out he was very sick so it was hard to celebrate that too much. I have had friends who smoked too much, drank too much, are emotionally needy, etc. and I TRY to take people as they are, especially when I've known them awhile. That said, I wouldn't seek out a new friendship with someone if I knew they had a major issue, and being obese can be major. It's not a slam against them personally, it's just me protecting myself from another negative influence in my life. I have my own problems!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
OP,
You claim to have once been overweight and that you are now down to 170. That is great (unless you are less than 5' tall! ). Most here would celebrate your hard work with you. But instead of using your success story as a rally cry for others (THINK: "If I can do it, you can too!) you are using it as a way to judge others (THINK: "I did it, what is your excuse you lazy slob?"). This is a major turnoff to people.

You are under no obligation to help others by sharing your own example. But if you are not going to have the decency to be gracious about this, at least have the decency to keep your feelings to yourself.

You may be further along than you ever were, but remember, there is always someone else who is bigger, better, and stronger and can look at you and say in disgust, "What a lazy chump." It's all relative.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
^^^ Great post.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
A couple of things here, number one this thread is more suited for the fitness forum or the diet forum,

Number two, when someone says they hate someone, they better be damn sure that hate is directed at a person who has threatened them and their loved ones in some way shape or form. Hating a group of people because just because they're overweight, gay or of a certain race is stupid and pathetic and speaks of a person who is not grateful nor appreciative of what they have in life.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So heres my background. I was pretty fat when I was in middle school. I'm 27 now and I weigh about the same back when I was 10-13, 170 pounds or so. I tried on some shorts from back last week, 1-2 inches loose on me. Now, I HATED HATED being fat so I lost weight and got skinny enough to become a X-country runner a few years later in high school. Since then, I've always been into fitness in one form or another.

As I get older, I don't take overweight people under say 40 years old seriously. I know with age losing weight gets harder so I give older people slack. However, with people my age and younger regardless of sex...I don't respect them. In fact, I don't befriend overweight people. Now, an extra 10-20 pounds is one thing but I mean fat. Getting tired doing basic stuff like walk around a mall or climb some stairs without getting exhausted. When overweight people give me advice, I ignore it regardless of topic. My good friends can tell know this about me and they can tell the difference with my demeanor and attitude. When I'm at work, I fight this but its always in the back of my mind especially when prior managers are overweight.

And yes I know how shallow this makes me look but its more than that too me. It's a complete lack of self-respect and willingness to live a better life. I know, people have health issues but I really doubt so many people have "thyroid" conditions. In fact, I use to have a low thyroid count when I was 20 and nearly needed medicine. I just changed my diet and exercised more.

I'm able to do whatever I want without feeling embarrassed about my looks. I don't get nervous at theme parks and the awkward seating. I go to the beach and walk around shirtless with no worries...minus a minor farmers tan. I think things like that worth so much in ones life and you can change it with just a few months of dedication. I have a few friends who don't work out nearly as much as I do and they are in better shape. They got a better luck of the draw but all that means too me, I need to work a little harder than most.

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?
1. Back when you were in Middle School and admittedly FAT, then you didnt respect yourself according to this Post you made .

2. How do you think youre doing on being intolerant and biggoted ?

3. I wouldnt say you are a huge prick...just a hostile One-eyed Trouser Snake possibly impotent (?)

Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
that's below the belt, 007.5
but I agree with you
you too iknowftbll

Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
that's below the belt, 007.5
but I agree with you
you too iknowftbll
Well, yes....as a matter of fact it IS below the belt

Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It is always nice to feel "superior" to others. When you need to have external need for self esteem. When you are self actualized and have self confidence, you don't have the need to look down on others. Does not sound like you are there yet...keep working on it.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So heres my background.

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?
Why would you ask total strangers whether or not you are a HUGE prick? Are you not capable of making that simple call about yourself? Maybe there is a fat person out there who can answer that question for you?

Or maybe they just won't respect you enough to answer what you already know. For whatever reason you choose to hate or disrespect others, it goes back to the old adage, "One's perceptions are colored more by what's behind our eyes, than what is in front of them."

Geez, I hope your Mom isn't fat. It's a good thing she didn't feel the same way you feel towards others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology