Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

What you don't seem to understand is when you see an obese person in the store walking or riding a motorized shopping cart, you have no clue as to what lead to their condition. Also, once someone has reached the level of morbid obesity, cross country running is deadly to them. Even walking for exercise is painful for them as it hurts their feet and knees. Some of these people never had experience with exercises and so have no clue what's available that they're physically capable of doing until they can do the harder stuff. If someone can't do regular push-ups, I tell them to try bending their legs at the knees. If that's still too hard, I tell them to try wall push-ups. If they can't do squats, I tell them to try chair squats. That way if their knees give out, they'll fall into a chair instead of risking injury falling to the floor. If they can't walk outside due to safety or weather, I tell them to try high stepping during commercials. Though few will take such advice, it's rewarding when one does and begins to show progress. They also don't forget who it was that helped and encouraged them. It's a much better feeling than being angry and disgusted like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Thank you!

And clearly, most of you didn't read my post. I stated I don't respect overweight people UNDER 40. And yea, some people have serious medical conditions which obviously hinder weight loss. Thank you for pointing out obvious exceptions to the rule.

I guess I need to cross my T's and dot my I's here or people will continuously put out stupid exceptions. Being overweight IMO is a life style choice. The times I do hang out with overweight people, they eat like garbage late at night. Just about every time we go out to party, people get hungry at 2-3am. I have the restriction in myself to not order a boatload of food before I sleep. Same thing happens in the morning, nasty nasty meals.

I know what its like to be overweight and I worked hard to lose the weight. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't handicapped and younger wouldn't lose the weight. If I woke up today 40 pounds heavier, I would seriously go to the gym everyday, do two hours of cardio, and change up my diet. The overweight family and acquaintances I know eat out way too much.

Lastly, the "don't judge the book but its cover" is such BS. People use their first impressions without even thinking. Then, it takes time to change their viewpoint. So yea, if you say you don't judge people by your first impression...you are a massive liar.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
I don't hate people for the way they look. Some people can't help being overweight.

But many people can help it, and their weight is a result of the lifestyle choices they've made. When I see grotesquely fat people waddling into fast food joints, or drinking big gulps, it certainly makes me cringe. I don't like it, but it's not like I can make them make good decisions with their lives.

And we have far, far too many people like this in the United States. It's one of the surest signs of societal atrophy to me.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times
and some are overweight due to psychological problems, it's easy for someone else to judge and say "you should do this or not let that get in the way". The old "walk in someone elses shoes before you judge.." is a good one. I weighed probably 100 pounds when I was in my early 20's and felt horrible, I was very unhappy in my skin even though I was being whistled at and told how great I looked, even by my then husband who hardly gave compliments. The rest of the world thought I looked great but I didn't care. I'm much more content now and no longer skinny. Society tries to tell us what to look like, and just because society feels uncomfortable, we should loose or gain weight...

Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
You're not so much a "prick" (your word), as you are terrified. We are all afraid of that which we are but don't want to be. You are a fat person inside, and will probably always be one.

Quote:
So heres my background. I was pretty fat when I was in middle school. I'm 27 now and I weigh about the same back when I was 10-13, 170 pounds or so. I tried on some shorts from back last week, 1-2 inches loose on me. Now, I HATED HATED being fat so I lost weight and got skinny enough to become a X-country runner a few years later in high school. Since then, I've always been into fitness in one form or another.

As I get older, I don't take overweight people under say 40 years old seriously. I know with age losing weight gets harder so I give older people slack. However, with people my age and younger regardless of sex...I don't respect them. In fact, I don't befriend overweight people. Now, an extra 10-20 pounds is one thing but I mean fat. Getting tired doing basic stuff like walk around a mall or climb some stairs without getting exhausted. When overweight people give me advice, I ignore it regardless of topic. My good friends can tell know this about me and they can tell the difference with my demeanor and attitude. When I'm at work, I fight this but its always in the back of my mind especially when prior managers are overweight.

And yes I know how shallow this makes me look but its more than that too me. It's a complete lack of self-respect and willingness to live a better life. I know, people have health issues but I really doubt so many people have "thyroid" conditions. In fact, I use to have a low thyroid count when I was 20 and nearly needed medicine. I just changed my diet and exercised more.

I'm able to do whatever I want without feeling embarrassed about my looks. I don't get nervous at theme parks and the awkward seating. I go to the beach and walk around shirtless with no worries...minus a minor farmers tan. I think things like that worth so much in ones life and you can change it with just a few months of dedication. I have a few friends who don't work out nearly as much as I do and they are in better shape. They got a better luck of the draw but all that means too me, I need to work a little harder than most.

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,316 times
Sounds like you don't want to catch the fat "disease"--are you afraid you'll cave in and inhale a 20 piece chicken nuggets and a big mac if you associate with fat people?? Good for you for being fit and active, but your type made my poor mom so self-conscious about herself. The horrible looks she got from people disgusted by her size really made her eat more and then eventually not care about her weight any more. She battled cancer twice--steroids, radiation, chemo, depression. She couldn't lose the weight then gave up. I'm glad you feel so smug.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
Fat people have crippled the health care system. I have nothing personally against them or their choices. As an outside observer, you can clearly see they do not respect their bodies or themselves to care enough. They use weight as protection, often times they use food to derive comfort and pleasure.

I have encouraged fat people who have lost the weight to non verbally tell fat people how disgusting they are without saying it out loud. Of the fat people I know who have done this, none has gained the weight back. I gave the mantra "lose the weight fat ass" as a non verbal ritual. When they exercise while keeping the weight off, I encouraged them to tough talk the old fat self they once were in their minds. It's never polite to give away your true intentions, fat people should never know what you are thinking. I tell them to never give any body language away as that would be considered cruel. You never want to give anybody the satisfaction of knowing when they self loathe.

Always tell yourself, this helps me heal. Skinny people can help fat people heal by non verbally doing the same for the fat people who have lost the weigh and kept it off. If people complain about my advice, I say no pain, no gain. Bodybuilders spend hours a day in the gym to sculpt their bodies. Fat people spend just as much time eating and watching Jerry Springer type talk shows.

I then remind them of Europe where being fat in southern Europe is taboo. The best way to help fat people is non verbally, they know they're fat. When you remind them, it reinforces their already poor self image.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You're not so much a "prick" (your word), as you are terrified. We are all afraid of that which we are but don't want to be. You are a fat person inside, and will probably always be one.

Hmmm, there might be some truth with that.

And once again, obviously the vast majority in this forum read the thread title and ignore the post...I guess reading is too tough for the overweight. Someone said if my mom is overweight. Considering I've stated TWICE, I don't feel this way for those over 40 and I'm 27...you do the math there with my mothers age.

I've also seen a few "small prick" jokes. LOL. I get called a bigot so you assume I have a "small prick". Pot calling the kettle black much? Funny thing is, I'm lucky enough to have an above average "prick".

Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,504 times
Reading is too tough for the overweight huh? Nice how you assume everyone who negatively responded to your post is overweight. I'm sure it's easier for you to think that way. I would actually guess your feelings come from a place in the back of your mind reminding you that you used to be that way, and could be again. You don't want that to happen so you react strongly when faced with the prospect of life as an overweight person. I think that is what JustJulia was talking about, and sarita too.

But then again, I'm an overweight person under the age of 40, so my opinion doesn't count.

What interests me is, what if you speak with someone online/over the phone several times (such as in a work setting where you work with someone in another office for months before you meet them) and grow to respect them as a person, but then meet them in the flesh and discover they are overweight. Do you then lose that respect? Or let's say you befriend someone who gains weight over time, at what point do you stop being friends with them? Or is this more about a snap judgment when you first see a random stranger?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:22 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,504 times
Oh, and I wanted to address the bad eating habits/unhealthy lifestyle point too. I know this is just anecdata but I know plenty of skinny people who eat like crap all the time, fast food, diner/greasy spoon food, never make anything from scratch, even drink all the time (which I don't think helps when you want to lose weight) and even in their 30s and 40s stay skinny. I will be honest and say I also know a lot of fat people who eat this way - but being skinny doesn't automatically equal a healthy person.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Hmmm, there might be some truth with that.

And once again, obviously the vast majority in this forum read the thread title and ignore the post...I guess reading is too tough for the overweight. Someone said if my mom is overweight. Considering I've stated TWICE, I don't feel this way for those over 40 and I'm 27...you do the math there with my mothers age.

I've also seen a few "small prick" jokes. LOL. I get called a bigot so you assume I have a "small prick". Pot calling the kettle black much? Funny thing is, I'm lucky enough to have an above average "prick".
Oh, no, we read your post. It is very judgmental. You stated that you do not respect the opinion of someone simply because they were obese, or that you would not makes friends with someone who is obese. There are a lot of working class professionals (lawyers, accountants, mechanics) who are overweight and whose advice and services you may someday need. You have possibly passed on the opportunity to have a lifelong friend whose support for you as a friend would be what gets you through a personal crisis later in life.

I cannot read your mind, but it does not seem to me that you started this thread out of a genuine curiosity and desire to change. It seems like you just wanted to get something off your chest. No wonder people react the way they do.

Lastly, do not assume that people who react negatively do so because they are obese. I'm not, actually I'm quite fit. It is not a personal attack on me that you have made, but it is a low class attack on people who are more and more suffering public indignity after indignity. It's a shame, because you consider yourself a success story and you probably are. You could be a lot of good to someone who is overweight, but you are choosing instead to be a jerk.

PS: If what you said in bold was really true, I doubt you would feel the need to respond to the "prick" comments. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology