Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times

Advertisements

The first rule of business and industry is this, "the customer is always right". And the entertainment industry is no different. These shows are popular because people watch them. They are not influencing us as much as we as viewers are keeping them on the air. If people stop watching these shows they would be pulled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The first rule of business and industry is this, "the customer is always right". And the entertainment industry is no different. These shows are popular because people watch them. They are not influencing us as much as we as viewers are keeping them on the air. If people stop watching these shows they would be pulled.
And that is the problem...we as a society have grown to become spineless where rebellion and sexual immorality is concerned . It no longer bothers us , its not seen as wrong anymore, and in fact it has become americas favorite pastime in reality.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
And that is the problem...we as a society have grown to become spineless where rebellion and sexual immorality is concerned . It no longer bothers us , its not seen as wrong anymore, and in fact it has become americas favorite pastime in reality.
It has nothing to do with being spineless. It's simple, people like watching trashy shows with a lot of drama. Jerry Springer's show has been own for 2 decades covering the same crap over and over again. No one is holding a gun to their heads telling them they have to watch the shows. They choose to.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM

657 posts, read 717,100 times
you can't stop a teenager from watching mindless tv. it what they do and if you try surely its a fight you lost. even with their monies teenager are reckless...... but they out number us so its want the customer wants........... mindless tv....

Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 AM

It has everything to do with being spineless when it involves willfully suppressing their moral conscience to do, watch, partake in anything they feeeeel like . There was once a time in America and not too long ago when Springer and TV programs like his would never have gotton on TV and we wouldnt make millionaires out of national Vile and Filth Spreaders .

Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
you can't stop a teenager from watching mindless tv. it what they do and if you try surely its a fight you lost. even with their monies teenager are reckless...... but they out number us so its want the customer wants........... mindless tv....
No, you as a Parent CAN stop your Teenager from watching destructive TV programs in your own house, its just that Parents have been dumbed down as well and enjoy tolerance to immorality (apathy is a better description).

Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 AM

640 posts, read 717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

You might be able to make a case for this argument when discussing adults. Kids, however, often emulate the behavior they see especially when they see bad behavior rewarded. That's why their minds are considered to be formative.

The entertainment industry is a bit different in that the rule includes the additional proviso that "sex sells" and I think that part of the problem is that there is little balance in viewing options. I'm struggling to come up with a television title in which an attractive but non-hypersexualized woman does anything productive or positive. As adults we know that this is not an accurate representation but children are probably not equiped to discern this.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Caught a few Bridezilla episodes. I flat out told my wife that if she had behaved like that at all I would have changed all the locks on my home and called off the wedding and the relationship. Such behavior goes on because they aren't held accountable for their behavior. In some cases, the family and friends are enabling such behavior. I was happy with one Bridezilla groom who got fed up during the reception and threw his ring at her and told her he's filing for an annulment then let her know why in great detail. For the first time he acted like a man and stand up for himself and his family instead of her doormat.
There was another episode where the groom-to-be vanished at some point during the filming of the show, so she had to call off the wedding because she had no clue what happened to him. I don't think she heard from him for a month after that. Good call

Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
There's no way to regulate the entertainment industry, and it would be a slippery slope to do that anyway, but it is very scary to me to see how kids imitate things they see on tv and hear in popular music. It FRIGHTENS me, and it should scare everyone else because the generation that grew up on the internet are the people most affected by this, and it won't be long before they start entering the workforce and making decisions. I see it with my younger brother, the things he says and does that are modeled after what he and his peers think is cool. Yea, the parent has a responsibility to govern here, but peer pressure and the desire to be cool is a huge factor in this behavior. Nevermind the fact that many parents just don't care or know how to deal with it.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
are shows like jersey shore, bad girl club, bridezilla, etc ruining this society ?

is teaching young girls and women that its ok to be a hookers, strippers, pole dancers,ok?

that 's its ok to be like Kim kardarisan, Rihanna, etc - (no intergrity, sleep with hundreds of men)

are we teaching them that its o.k to have little self worth, low self esteem, and major selfishness issue.....

are we doom ? if this continues and would u want this for your daughter?
If people believe reality TV is ruining society, what about Hollywood before reality TV, or even video games for that manner?

What is bad for society is when children are not raised well, and then they become adults, and their poor behavior is carried on to the next generation. There will always be a scapegoat in society to blame our problems on. But, it is the people who want to better themselves and their families that make the difference.
The television doesn't raise the children, the parents do. And parents that instill good morals and ethics and behavior make the difference. Now, there will always be the person that doesn't accept any kind of teachings, for their own selfish reasons, but those people have been around before TV was ever invented.

Don't blame TV, don't blame society....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology