Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times

Advertisements

they just want to tell you what their opinion is and then claim it's the 'correct' one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
I'm going to have a bit of a difference of opinion right now.

I don't think all opinions are created equal. There are opinions that create real harm for real people. And it does make me angry when a person tells me they hold an opinion that is harmful.

But aren't opinions just words? Well, yes...but they lead to action. An opinion is reflective of a worldview. And if your worldview puts another person or group below you, your actions will reflect it.

And this is why I do get angry when people say that we should tolerate people who are intolerant and that if you don't, you're doing something just as bad as the intolerant person in the first place. That's not the way things work. Thinking badly of people because of religion, sexuality, gender, race, creed, etc. is wrong because you're judging them based on something superficial. You don't actually know them at all. But if I'm judging you because you* told me all brown people are scary or all gays are going to hell, I do know something very important about you and I won't apologize for being angry about it.

* generic you

Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

I don't think all opinions are created equal. There are opinions that create real harm for real people. And it does make me angry when a person tells me they hold an opinion that is harmful.

But aren't opinions just words? Well, yes...but they lead to action. An opinion is reflective of a worldview. And if your worldview puts another person or group below you, your actions will reflect it.

And this is why I do get angry when people say that we should tolerate people who are intolerant and that if you don't, you're doing something just as bad as the intolerant person in the first place. That's not the way things work. Thinking badly of people because of religion, sexuality, gender, race, creed, etc. is wrong because you're judging them based on something superficial. You don't actually know them at all. But if I'm judging you because you* told me all brown people are scary or all gays are going to hell, I do know something very important about you and I won't apologize for being angry about it.

* generic you
Good point. But aren't human values just the most popular opinions?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
it's all about the ego.

Our ego feels threatened when our beliefs are challenged, so anger is merely a self-defence mechanism.

This tends to gradually solidify with age.

I am talking about men here, but I imagine it is similar for women.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
" Everybody is entitled to their OWN opinion" _ I hate that saying. Get a dictionary - Opinion means theory. Everybody is entitled to display facts...as for opinions...they are fleeting and fanciful...they are not facts. Those who have theories about aliens from outer space visiting earth...should keep such foolishness to themselves. If you have a useful fact- share it- We all know when we are full of crap and opinionated to a fault...To be opinionated as an older person shows lack of wisdom- Wise old people are supposed to be full of facts---The are old enough to know what is real and what is not.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

* generic you
I agree with you that all opinions are not created equal and that there are opinions that can cause real harm. But I think there is a line there in realising that most people are also in a state of evolution, and their opinions may change with more life experience, more education, or both, and sometimes badly thought-out opinions are only a way station on the journey. Time will correct/ modify some opinions. I try not to be too quick to think of people in a certain way, based on opinions that are often simply based on ignorance.

Ignorance can be fixed. It's just hard to tell sometimes from genuine stupidity.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Good point. But aren't human values just the most popular opinions?
I'm not sure what you mean? As I stated, I don't believe that people are 'entitled' to believe something harmful. This isn't hipster emotions, where it's 'cool' to like something niche like racism. Humans values SHOULD be the most popular opinions.

I do believe that right and wrong are subjective in that they are social regulations. But we are a society and there a beliefs that help a society function and beliefs that don't.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree with you that all opinions are not created equal and that there are opinions that can cause real harm. But I think there is a line there in realising that most people are also in a state of evolution, and their opinions may change with more life experience, more education, or both, and sometimes badly thought-out opinions are only a way station on the journey. Time will correct/ modify some opinions. I try not to be too quick to think of people in a certain way, based on opinions that are often simply based on ignorance.

Ignorance can be fixed. It's just hard to tell sometimes from genuine stupidity.
But ignorance is a choice. I might be able to forgive a young child who grew up in a racist home for spouting such beliefs. But at some point, the person alone is responsible for their opinions and it's not my job to educate them. Nor will I expose myself to such toxicity.

For me again it comes back to the reality that such opinions cause actual harm. They aren't just words in a vacuum. I'm not obliged to wait around for this person to come to a state of realization as basic as all people having value. His (or hers) opinions are too harmful and dangerous for that. I'm going to fight back as best as I can, which may mean with words or may mean with my vote. And hopefully by doing so the next generation will have less such toxicity in it.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 AM

707 posts, read 687,420 times
If a person feels threatened because of a lack of confidence, in that belief, they may get angry and defensive. It's a way of compensating and convincing themselves that they are at least right for themself.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
I think we can become self-righteous...Our sense of "being right" can go to our "head" and turn us into a zealot or even a "whacko!"...After awhile we no longer have a "balanced mind." Or an "open" mind...We start to view anyone who disagrees with us as the "enemy." (Someone who needs to be "shot-down" or given 200 "lashes" in the public square.)...Some people definitely start to consider themselves God and the ultimate and supreme "authority" when it comes to their beliefs and their innate "superiority!"...It's no fun to be around rigid and self-righteous people. They hardly ever have a sense of humor. Everything is "do or die" to them. Everything is very "intense" and "super serious!"...Maybe they were "mocked" and teased when they were growing-up and they are carrying around a lot of "old baggage." If so this is sad!.. But coming all "unglued" and turning into a "dictator" won't help them "win" respect or many friends in adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology