Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times

Advertisements

we all have the capability to murder and do other athrocious things; humans kill for no reason, unlike other mammals...it's up to us to control that. Sometimes we think we are justified in doing something really terrible, for instance someone terrorizes and murders your family and you go out on a vengeance trip to give them a piece of your mind later on...is that evil? or just taking the law into your own hands? Some have no control or choose to not control their urges. Some have no empathy and they are the cruelest. Depends on the wiring in our brain.
We think some "evil" has no purpose...maybe to us it doesn't but the one committing it may have a perfectly good reason. Unacceptable to us maybe but it's not up to us to decide that when we're not the ones doing the deed.
Anders Breivik who killed 77 people in that summercamp in Norway in 2011 thinks his actions are justified, he was killing the enemy and refuses to come off that idea.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 09-01-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM

588 posts, read 957,473 times
Humans have the capability to kill, but not every single person would do it, given the chance or motive. At least in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
yeah they would all do it, let's say someone attacked your nearest and dearest..wouldn't you try to kill to save them? it's killing no matter what you call it..self defence, survival, whatever...same thing with cannibalism and other "athrocities"..we all say no way! but you don't know till you are in that predicament...

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
I think people are naturally inclined towards empathy and cooperation, which are good things. The problem is that people are very tribal, so that cooperation and empathy will usually apply mostly to those people within your tribe. If good and evil existed on a scale of 1-10, then I think humans would be a 6.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Humans have the capability to kill, but not every single person would do it, given the chance or motive. At least in my opinion.
most people luckily never find themselves in a situation where they even feel driven to kill , the murder rate in haiti is many times higher than in west london , people in west london have no real need to kill anyone , they are no better or worse on average than people in haiti , the most important thing in life is nesscessity

Old 09-02-2012, 12:51 PM

20 posts, read 55,609 times
There is no black or white answer here. Everyone has the capacity to do both good and evil, often simultaneously. Even Adolf Hitler loved his wife.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
To me, it seems as if people are mostly good. Sure, crime and violence do exist, but as a whole, there are a lot of decent human beings out there. A man stepped in front of a child at the Batman premiere in Colorado, taking a bullet for her during a mass shooting.
A hidden video captured many bystanders coming to the aid of a woman in need.
Every single time I get a flat, many stop to help; rarely do I use Roadside Assistance.
Just my opinion, but I don't believe that guy from Colorado was evil. I believe he was mind controlled (and if that's true, the people behind the mind control ARE evil).

Was Colorado Shooter James Holmes Mind Controlled? - YouTube

Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
To me, it seems as if people are mostly good. Sure, crime and violence do exist, but as a whole, there are a lot of decent human beings out there. A man stepped in front of a child at the Batman premiere in Colorado, taking a bullet for her during a mass shooting.
A hidden video captured many bystanders coming to the aid of a woman in need.
Every single time I get a flat, many stop to help; rarely do I use Roadside Assistance.
I agree with you. Most people are mostly good. A small number of people are simply evil. A few good people are capable of doing very bad things. A few good people are INcapable of doing really bad things. Those "incapable" people, most likely, wouldn't even lift a finger to defend themselves if threatened. Those same people would allow themselves to be walked over, thier entire lives, because doing otherwise, would cause them to do something that they're totally incapable of doing....saying something hurtful, or even saying, "NO".

Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trewq View Post
There is no black or white answer here. Everyone has the capacity to do both good and evil, often simultaneously. Even Adolf Hitler loved his wife.
True. That's what makes it all the more scary. If our lower selves take over (I think the unconscious parts of ourselves are our "lower selves") you can never say what will happen. But, it's "us" not some "monster." Just that unacknowledged or primal or rageful or crazy part of the human that can become a monster. But, I also wonder if the psychology is only 1 thing. There might be a darkness, spiritual (not religious, not Fundamentalism or anything like that)that's involved in real heinous crimes. I can't see that the unconscious of humans would be that deviant and dark. I'm not really sure if psychology, thus, can explain certain levels of pure evil.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Any forensic psychiatrist will tell you that the reptilian part of the brain, controls the survival instinct. This part of the brain cannot be labeled "good or evil" which is a naive premise.

Neocortex - Thought (including planning, language, logic & will, awareness)

Limbic System - Emotion (feelings, relationship/nurturing, images and dreams, play)

Reptilian Brain - Instinct (survival, breathing/swallowing/heartbeat, startle response)

people are capable of amazing things both good, and bad.
nature vs. nurture, there are some children born with genetic defects, and are simply anti-social, without a conscience. It is a fact of medical studies. nothing to do with religion.

SSC: Key Concepts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology