U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM

14,091 posts, read 27,177,687 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many symptoms apply to myself and yet I never heard of this before. At a young age I regularly separated myself from others. I even built a fort within my bedroom to keep people out when I was 5. Books were my place of refuge. In elementary school I became obsessed with astronomy, that obsession moved onto the Greek mythology, Norse Mythology, then onto the TV Guide and the TV schedule. I literally had the entire week's TV prime time schedule memorized as well as which shows were new or reruns (back when it was four networks). Another time it was on the history of Mustangs, pinball, comic books, and many other strange subjects. Sometimes it's movie trivia. People mistaken my outward behavior as being rude, strange, and uncaring. I'm just not good at verbalizing in social settings and am not sure how to respond to certain situations like death in family, severe medical problems, or other very emotionally traumatic situations. I care greatly about people and the best way I can show this is by the things I try to do for them to help them. I have had two nervous breakdowns,...one while working the entire fast food kitchen by myself on a busy night and the other during Navy Nuclear Power School right after several emotionally painful events. Fiancé of two years left me after having cheated on me while I was in bootcamp (I was very obsessed over her), distant relative died and wasn't allowed to attend the funeral by the Navy, and three guys I attended bootcamp with tried to kill themselves(one was successful). Several events in the Navy were hard for me. Arriving on my first ship to replace one of the ten sailors killed in a steam leak. First night was the first time I heard men screaming in terror in their sleep. This went on for weeks. Then Desert Storm. Things like seeing a mine float past the ship and "missile inbound, all hands brace for impact" happened there. Nearly got killed by electricity because a shipyard worker wired a battle lantern wrong. Nearly drowned trying to remove a pump from a minesweeper. Sudden loud noises makes me jump. Don't wake me by touching me. I'll probably kick or punch. For the last two, my dad was the same way and he served on the flight deck in Vietnam. It wasn't until after my time in the Navy that he was willing to tell me some of the things he saw. For More than ten years after the Navy, if the electricity went out, I'd wake up ready to run with my pulse racing. On the ship, if we lost power, us engineers had to literally run to the engine or fire room to get the engines, boilers, and generators back up and running. Off and on for years I'd have nightmares about drowning. I still get the occasional Navy dream. I can spend days or even weeks in solitude and be happy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,652,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. However, although I have some PTSD and don't have Asperger's, I'm wondering what distinguishes someone with Asperger's who is anxious in social situations and sensitive to surroundings from someone who is not but has the same characteristics. I have always been anxious in social situations (and worked very hard to overcome most of it) and sensitive to surroundings (colors, noise, etc.) and yet it's not Asperger's, obviously.

Since 9/11, I have more triggers, of course, such as reaction to loud sounds, floors that "move", and oddball stuff, such as smelling the WTC when I watch it on TV.
I don't think my sons that have Aspergers are anxious in social situations, they simply do not know how to socialize. They don't know how to make or keep friends, they don't know how to talk when appropriate and be quiet when appropriate, they don't know how to talk about anything other than video games, and they don't know how to pick up on other people's physical queues. I don't know how other people see, but with my sons it isn't a matter of being anxious in social situations.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM

82,332 posts, read 75,690,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I don't think my sons that have Aspergers are anxious in social situations, they simply do not know how to socialize. They don't know how to make or keep friends, they don't know how to talk when appropriate and be quiet when appropriate, they don't know how to talk about anything other than video games, and they don't know how to pick up on other people's physical queues. I don't know how other people see, but with my sons it isn't a matter of being anxious in social situations.
Thanks, but you will note that I was responding to a person with Asperger's who specifically said SHE has problems with Asperger's-related anxiety in social situations overlapped with PTSD anxiety.

I understand that doesn't apply to all.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM

10,373 posts, read 10,176,388 times
Aspergers sounds a lot like Autism. I have plenty of experience with that as my son is 30 years old and lives with us full time. Its hard to get into their head. They don't think like a "normal" person. (Whatever that is). They are hard to deal with. Takes lots of patience, sometimes lots of explanation. Just don't ever figure you can explain anything too comlicated to them. They tend to deal in black and white, not shades of gray. They also have a hard time explaining themselves.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,652,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Aspergers sounds a lot like Autism. I have plenty of experience with that as my son is 30 years old and lives with us full time. Its hard to get into their head. They don't think like a "normal" person. (Whatever that is). They are hard to deal with. Takes lots of patience, sometimes lots of explanation. Just don't ever figure you can explain anything too comlicated to them. They tend to deal in black and white, not shades of gray. They also have a hard time explaining themselves.
Aspergers is an autism spectrum disorder, so it is a higher functioning form of autism.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 4,137,614 times
Wow never know it was called this..A lot of people probably me suffer from some form of this.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,781,387 times
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Aspergers is an autism spectrum disorder, so it is a higher functioning form of autism.
Thank you for your information.
What is your opinion about adults who are undiagnosed? Can some slip through the cracks, even if perhaps, they had a problematic childood?. I have a specific case I am reading but will maybe DM the facts if its okay.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,326,521 times
I have only known about Aspergers Syndrome a few years now. It is considered a mild form of autism (high functioning individuals). They often refer to themselves as "Aspies" for short.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 AM

24,682 posts, read 53,347,226 times
I've got several friends who have AS, to varying degrees. There are pros and cons to talking to someone with AS.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM

32 posts, read 148,435 times
I have Aspergers and am 49 years old...It was diagnosed about 2 years ago....I always loved baseball statistics since I was about 6 years old and was a whiz at working with numbers all of my school life...I also have trouble looking people in the eyes as I feel a lot more comfortable looking down at the floor but I try...I also was bullied almost every day in school so I still feel more safe by myself rather than around others....It has been easier since I was diagnosed because before I always felt a little different but didnt know why....I also have the monotone voice and almost every employer that I have had has tried to change it....Now I am a courier and it doesnt pay great but its a good job for myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology