Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,922,055 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if the psychology forum is the right place to share this odd encounter, so if a moderator feels it should be moved to another thread, so be it.

This afternoon I was leaving a large medical facility. As I approached the elevator, a woman was there waiting. When the elevator arrived, she stepped in and I followed. She did not ask what floor (basic elevator etiquette) but it was okay because we were both going down to the ground floor. She pushed the button and backed into one corner, and I assumed my position in the opposite corner.

Now here is where it got weird. The front of the elevator was clad in mirrors. Aside from being a bit tacky, it enabled me to notice something weird about my "travel companion." I was staring at the floor and my eyes eventually wandered around. I caught this woman "staring at me" in the mirror, and we made "eye contact." Fair enough, thought I. After all, it is not uncommon for our eyes to wander to the only unique feature around, which in this scenario was me. But when I caught her "staring," she did not break her gaze or turn away. You ever been caught staring?

Don't you look away as soon as the other person notices you looking at them?

Now this woman was probably 30-35 or so, and I'm 32. I figured at first that she must have liked the way I look. (Silly me. Ego, right? ) But as the elevator ride continued, I chanced a couple more glances at her reflection and her stare did not seem to indicate that she found me attractive. It was an intense look. Not quite a "I'm going to kill you slowly and painfully" look, not quite angry, but definitely not friendly. I smiled. No emotion from her at all. I mean NONE. And the whole ride down, staring. It was somewhat chilling.

Finally the elevator stopped at the ground floor and I waited for her to exit. Her gaze stayed on me (not my reflection anymore) for a few steps before turning away. Then she was on her way and I on mine. I took a quick self assessment to make sure that I was in a presentable form. (IE: pants zipped, no big ugly boogers hanging from my nose, etc...) Nothing wrong, there.

Sort of made me wonder what was on her mind. Anyone ever have something like this happen?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,653,031 times
Never. But that's absolutely hilarious.

I have a feeling I might do it to others at times, particularly if my mind is elsewhere. I can seem to be staring at a particular thing when I'm not even looking at it...if you get what I mean.

Maybe it was that with her.

Or maybe she just found you so ridiculously attractive that she was literally dumbfounded.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,248,768 times
That would have creeped me out.

But I'm in the "maybe she was a million miles away" camp.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

Or maybe she just found you so ridiculously attractive that she was literally dumbfounded.
I would like to believe this is true, but somehow I don't think it is! Thanks for suggesting it as a possibility, though.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
That would have creeped me out.

But I'm in the "maybe she was a million miles away" camp.
That was something else I considered, but she had too much focus on her face for it to be the "thousand yard stare."

I told my wife this story, and she suggested something that I think is possible. But you need to know a few more details.

This was an Army hospital, and the woman was a Captain in the U.S. Army. She was in her uniform, I was in shorts, flip flops, a polo shirt and wearing a Denver Broncos visor. Now there are certain customs and courtesies that service members owe to their superiors, such as an appropriate greeting. If I were junior to her, I would have owed her a polite, "Good afternoon, Ma'am." I did not say a word though, as I am a Captain as well, just in the Marines. Anyway, my wife suggested that maybe she assumed I was junior to her and that she was waiting for me to offer an appropriate greeting. Of course, we're the same rank, but she didn't know that.

Oddly enough, I feel that if that was her reason, she could have easily turned to me and attempted to correct me. In which case I would have politely told her that I was her peer. Plus, I would like to think that a fellow captain would not shy away from making a correction if she believed one were needed. Still, I think my wife's explanation is as plausible as any I could fathom.

Thanks for the replies, thus far. I do hope you find my little story amusing. I'll admit this is a fairly benign event that lasted only a couple minutes, but two speechless minutes on an elevator is a long time to get stared at.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,669,046 times
She prob had something on her mind like a fight with her boyfriend. Maybe he cheated. And she was like in her head saying ," Look at him, just like all men....thinks he is sooo hot and smmooth. Bet he cheats too. Look at him trying to smile at me. Like I want you, you cheater! Just like my boyfriend...No sir I don't want you."

Lol all kinds of emotions could of been going through her head.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,874,801 times
Sounds like she might have been mentally ill. You were lucky to escape.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,240,641 times
..Or you could have looked like someone she used to know. Or had some sort of illness or got back from seeing someone who was sick.

Or maybe the mirror was positioned so that you thought she was looking at you when she was probably looking straight ahead.

Or maybe she had eyeballs painted over her eyelids:

Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Normal people don't stare when they're caught. Continuing to stare is usually a sign that they're a bit "off" in some way, that's how I'd read it. Unless you reminded her of someone, and she was trying to figure out if you were some guy she remembered from somewhere. Still, I'm with the "creepy" verdict. Did you try smiling, to see if she'd respond or look away? When someone is staring at me, I give them the benefit of the doubt, and give them a smile. If they keep staring, I get out of the way, I flee the scene.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
..Or you could have looked like someone she used to know. Or had some sort of illness or got back from seeing someone who was sick.

Or maybe the mirror was positioned so that you thought she was looking at you when she was probably looking straight ahead.

Or maybe she had eyeballs painted over her eyelids:
That is one creepy looking girl. I think if the woman in the elevator had looked like that I may not have been able to play it as casually as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology