Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM

657 posts, read 717,100 times

Advertisements

true that all people are evil and capable of bad things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
I think if you have hardened your heart to where you have dehumanized someone or a people, where you stop regarding them as of any redeemable value, it becomes much easier to hate and eventually to despise them enough to decide that they worthless and no longer deserving to live. Nowadays it seems the first inclination we as people come to about problem solving is to kill the person who has insulted our pride or posessions. No sitting down to connect or reason emotionally because that might also require that we admit that we were wrong and worse, imperfect! The most outstanding characteristic of this “death culture” is the popular belief that power, supremacy, money, and pleasure are of much more importance than human life and moral values.

Contributing to this homicidal mentality is the violence and mayhem glorified on television and movie screens, and our society appears to be wrapped up in a morbid culture centering on death. In this regard the Encyclopædia Britannica says: “During the latter half of the 20th century, death has become a strangely popular subject. Before that time, perhaps rather surprisingly, it was a theme largely eschewed in serious scientific, and to a lesser extent, philosophical speculations.” According to Josep Fericgla, a Catalonian professor of cultural anthropology, “death has become the last effective taboo in our societies, and therefore, it is one of the most important sources today of ideological manipulation.”

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
what are you talking about , most millitarys are populated by conservatives , not that ive anything against conservatives or the millitary but armies kill , its one of their key functions
Exactly! Most military people I know are conservatives, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I think if you have hardened your heart to where you have dehumanized someone or a people, where you stop regarding them as of any redeemable value, it becomes much easier to hate and eventually to despise them enough to decide that they worthless and no longer deserving to live. Nowadays it seems the first inclination we as people come to about problem solving is to kill the person who has insulted our pride or posessions. No sitting down to connect or reason emotionally because that might also require that we admit that we were wrong and worse, imperfect! The most outstanding characteristic of this “death culture” is the popular belief that power, supremacy, money, and pleasure are of much more importance than human life and moral values.

Contributing to this homicidal mentality is the violence and mayhem glorified on television and movie screens, and our society appears to be wrapped up in a morbid culture centering on death. In this regard the Encyclopædia Britannica says: “During the latter half of the 20th century, death has become a strangely popular subject. Before that time, perhaps rather surprisingly, it was a theme largely eschewed in serious scientific, and to a lesser extent, philosophical speculations.” According to Josep Fericgla, a Catalonian professor of cultural anthropology, “death has become the last effective taboo in our societies, and therefore, it is one of the most important sources today of ideological manipulation.”
In other words, apathy is a killer.

They have media censorship for a reason. The controllers of military industry need to make a profit somehow. They've obviously learned what technicolor TV did to help oppose war in Viet Nam. They have since implemented their socialization techniques to help transform societal values such as apathy and ignorance through conformity in very sophisticated ways (i.e., popularizing reality tv, while dumbing down on education through lack of funding and budget cuts as well as placing corporate head haunchos in charge of academic research).

Propaganda machines like Newscorp don't help, either. Enlightenment through independent learning and self-education from non-corporate funded resources can be another alternative to working against the acceptance of that taboo.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
No fathers, no discipline, feminism, & decades of liberal policies = broken family unit + messed up society we have today. It has nothing to do with technology. You break down the family unit, you break down the country. Simple.

No, sorry:

And:

Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post

Interesting post.

And spot on re: desensitization and the dumbing down corporate agenda of mainstream media.

Academy of Pediatrics says “More than one thousand scientific studies and reviews conclude that significant exposure to media violence increases the risk of aggressive behavior in certain children, desensitizes them to violence and makes them believe that the world is a ‘meaner and scarier’ place than it is.”

The sense of apathy and powerlesness in the [corporate controlled media ] is also much more prevalent now, than what it was in the mid 90's.

The Psychological Effects of Violent Media on Children

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, sorry:

And:
wow i love the facts ............ thanks

Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM

even more now i see that we are heading toward a path of destruction. why do we hate each other so much ?

in 22 different religous, it state to LOVE the neighbor ........... why do we hate ?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you mean that in ANY sort of causal sense... then NO.
otoh... If you mean that in a broader coincidental sense then, yeah; of course.

The lack of adequate psychological and psychiatric care and facilities (there's never room
for these people beforehand but plenty afterward) even if the person is observed to be dangerous
to themselves or others is the real real culprit.

In a CNN interview around 12/20/2012 (in the aftermath of the Newtown, Connecticut massacre of schoolchildren and school staff and speaking at-large about the level of mass murders and violence in our American society of the past few years such as Aurora, Colorado; Columbine, Colorado; Virginia Tech; Tucson, Arizona; and other mass murders), Rabbi Shmuley Boteach said something which rings true to me and stuck in my mind, and which I know in my heart and mind to be true (being an American male myself):
For me, one of the biggest issues today is how angry American men are becoming. Remember, these are men that are perpetrating these mass murders. I think that we have a single definition of "success" that is alienating a lot of men-- making them feel like they are failures -- and they are taking out their rage on this society that they feel belittles them."
A very wise observation that I haven't heard anyone else in the public forum bring up as an issue and state so explicity and articulately. Some food for thought for all of us.

Last edited by UsAll; 02-08-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
I think it's mostly apathy.

Apathy combined with ignorance.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
In a CNN interview around 12/20/2012 (in the aftermath of the Newtown, Connecticut massacre of schoolchildren and school staff and speaking at-large about the level of mass murders and violence in our American society of the past few years such as Aurora, Colorado; Columbine, Colorado; Virginia Tech; Tucson, Arizona; and other mass murders), Rabbi Shmuley Boteach said something which rings true to me and stuck in my mind, and which I know in my heart and mind to be true (being an American male myself):
For me, one of the biggest issues today is how angry American men are becoming. Remember, these are men that are perpetrating these mass murders. I think that we have a single definition of "success" that is alienating a lot of men-- making them feel like they are failures -- and they are taking out their rage on this society that they feel belittles them."
A very wise observation that I haven't heard anyone else in the public forum bring up as an issue and state so explicity and articulately. Some food for thought for all of us.
excellent observation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology