Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times

Advertisements

Phone-phobia - HypertWiki

Even as a shy introvert, I prefer face to face meetings 10x over talking to someone on the phone. In fact, I fear picking up the phone to call someone significantly more than giving a speech to a crowd! These fears don't apply to people I already know but calling someone I don't know raises quite a bit of fear.

A lot of the anxiety comes from feeling being put on the spot, not knowing what to say and frantically trying to come up with something, not seeing the person's facial expressions, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Well maybe you can work around that?

Maybe texting would be easier? Then you could take your time for each reply.

And I have a friend in a similar situation. He asks me to make business related phone calls for him. Maybe you could ask someone else to make some calls for you?

And maybe some things could be handled by email? Or writing a letter?

Or tell people who call you that you prefer to talk in person. Ask if you can go see them?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
I don't know, I hate calling. Especially for personal things.

Strangely at work, I've forced myself to do it and I'm fine with it. At work I know what to say, and I've talked to most people here in person so I know them.

Obviously I'm OK talking to friends and family, but anything else, I'd rather e-mail or talk face to face.

I hate waiting on the line, I hate the anticipation of dialing a number, I'm self conscious of if I am enunciating words correctly and/or if I'm breathing too heavy on the receiver. Plus the same concerns of not being able to read the other person and trying to think on the spot apply to me as well.

Thank god for the internet.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 111,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Phone-phobia - HypertWiki

Even as a shy introvert, I prefer face to face meetings 10x over talking to someone on the phone. In fact, I fear picking up the phone to call someone significantly more than giving a speech to a crowd! These fears don't apply to people I already know but calling someone I don't know raises quite a bit of fear.

A lot of the anxiety comes from feeling being put on the spot, not knowing what to say and frantically trying to come up with something, not seeing the person's facial expressions, etc.
I understand your '' phobia ''. The trick I would give you : Try laying back on your bed when you call someone. It will help you relax. Talk very, very slowly. TAKE YOUR TIME! Its the trick. When you try to talk too fast and find something smart to say all the time you will run out dry very quickly. So relax, lay down on your bed and be smooth.

For the not knowing what to say part really I don't know what to say. If you apply the relaxing and smooth thing I am pretty sure this will go away by itself.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM

571 posts, read 1,302,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I don't know, I hate calling. Especially for personal things.

I hate waiting on the line, I hate the anticipation of dialing a number, I'm self conscious of if I am enunciating words correctly and/or if I'm breathing too heavy on the receiver. Plus the same concerns of not being able to read the other person and trying to think on the spot apply to me as well.

Thank god for the internet.
^^Me, too. Can't explain it. It just . . . is.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,038 times
Write out beforehand, word for word what you are going to say, and even which words you're stressing in the sentence. Write one version to use if you've actually reached the person, and another version to use on their voicemail, and then read off exactly what you've written. List a few topics of small talk to bring up, including anything interesting you've recently been doing, or asking what the other person has been doing.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,310 times
I hate when I can't hear what the other person just said. I come off so awkward when I ask them to repeat themselves.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I hate when I can't hear what the other person just said. I come off so awkward when I ask them to repeat themselves.
Oh yeah, that's another thing too.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
With phone anxiety can't you always escape from the situation by hanging up and later blaming it on bad service/connection?

With my flying fears it's much harder to escape from a plane once it's in the air

Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
With phone anxiety can't you always escape from the situation by hanging up and later blaming it on bad service/connection?

With my flying fears it's much harder to escape from a plane once it's in the air
When you depend on the phone to get in touch with clients and/or when you need to do phone interviews to switch jobs, blaming the bad service or connection doesn't exactly put you in the best light or even sound professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology