Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 PM

382 posts, read 822,458 times

Advertisements

I have two people that are close to me with this disorder. It literally drains you of all happiness. They completely lack any kind of empathy, have dilusions of grandeur about themselves to the extreme, and are often very condescending towards others. They tend to view others as beneath them. The best way to deal with them is simple....don't deal with them. There is no alternative if you want to have a happy life, particularly if you are married to this person. There is also many times a genetic component, and many times a parent of the narcissist also has the disorder. That makes it even worse because they have little empathy for their own child....thus that child has never had a role model...and the cycle perpetuates itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,292,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I totally see this in all the facebook'ing and tweeting happening these days. People who post picture after picture of themselves and tweet everything they do for the entire day like anyone really cares.
What about if your pictures are of travels, scenery, and nature? I have several hundred pictures in albums, but only about 5 of me, over the years. I put up wall posts with links to songs, skyline photos, and occasionally things that are in the news. I try to make people laugh, and my friends know my sense of humor, but I'm sure I pi$$ some people off, just like I do here.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 AM

11,761 posts, read 11,974,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What about if your pictures are of travels, scenery, and nature? I have several hundred pictures in albums, but only about 5 of me, over the years. I put up wall posts with links to songs, skyline photos, and occasionally things that are in the news. I try to make people laugh, and my friends know my sense of humor, but I'm sure I pi$$ some people off, just like I do here.
I think there is a difference in posting photos of scenery versus "omg, we had an awesome day at Six Flags" and not posting one cute family photo, but all 122 pictures you took that day, blurry ones, eyes closed, ones with your thumb in them.

My neighbor does this. Essentially every move she and her kids make is plastered all over FB, daily. She posts all of her personal business, details that don't need to be shared with your 535 FB friends, all of whom obviously aren't really your "friend". You will know when her house is empty if you'd like to rob it, because she announces where she's going on vacation, what dates, and will have a daily countdown in her status that she's so looking forward to it because she deserves it (her words).

There really is such a thing as oversharing and thinking everyone else truly gives a dang about you as much as you do yourself. I don't think what you do on FB describes someone who is too self-involved for their own good.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,084,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That isn't what I meant. I like seeing pictures of people then they're doing something interesting. Traveling, pets, pictures of their kids (within reason)...I mean the person who posts self taken mirror picture after picture of them posing, doing the duck face, etc. I had a friend who would literally post pictures of herself everyday and she would often photoshop them so that they didn't even look like her. Those people are seeking compliments and attention, nothing else.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,243,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
All I have to say is.....

"Stop texting and put away your cellphone!"
Haha...Amen!!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,231,155 times
On the subject of narcissism, is anyone familiar with Sam Vaknin, who is a self-proclaimed narcissist? The guy that has said Obama appears to be a narcissist? (and I have NO desire to start a political diatribe or war over here).

I had heard of this guy before, then I read a book review -

Amazon.com: Malignant Self-Love: Narcissism Revisited (9788023833843): Sam Vaknin, Lidija Rangelovska: Books

Interesting - and then I read some online stuff where he apparently has admitted his degree is from a mill - there's some debunking going on. I'd like C-Der's opinions if they know of his work. It's a topic I'm fascinated by since apparently it's the sap that runs through our family tree :-) The book is pretty expensive for a light read, and if it's a bunch of malarkey I've got other ways to spend my cash!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,542,019 times
I had read Vaknin's book 5 years ago.

This one is better:

Christopher Lasch:

Amazon.com: The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations (9780393307382): Christopher Lasch: Books

Lasch was before his time, predicting the banal and shallow celeb culture, and overuse of empty technology for ego validation we see today.

It's safe to say most politicians are narcissists, its a job requirement. You don't see many humble shy people in politics, ever.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,231,155 times
I guess I'm asking for opinions on whether Vaknin is a fraud (or just truly a narcissist???). I had reviewed the Lasch book earlier today - it appears pretty deep and VERY Freudian. For whatever reason, the excerpts of Vaknin's book seemed readable to me...I'm certainly no therapist or anything else, just mostly curious as to what makes some people tick. With my pea brain, the simpler the better!

I'm only interested from a layperson's point of view and I need a LOT of examples for me to make correlations - so, Dream, what was your opinion? I'm going to go back and read some more reviews on the Lasch book - so far even the reviews are pretty much over my head

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,292,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
It's safe to say most politicians are narcissists, its a job requirement. You don't see many humble shy people in politics, ever.
Yes. This is absolutely valid profiling and the "on-line narcissist test" indicates that politicians and celebrities score quite a bit higher than the "normal" person's score of 12-15. Damn, if I could only find the link. Someone put it on here once.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,898,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
On the subject of narcissism, is anyone familiar with Sam Vaknin, who is a self-proclaimed narcissist? The guy that has said Obama appears to be a narcissist? (and I have NO desire to start a political diatribe or war over here).

I had heard of this guy before, then I read a book review -

Amazon.com: Malignant Self-Love: Narcissism Revisited (9788023833843): Sam Vaknin, Lidija Rangelovska: Books

Interesting - and then I read some online stuff where he apparently has admitted his degree is from a mill - there's some debunking going on. I'd like C-Der's opinions if they know of his work. It's a topic I'm fascinated by since apparently it's the sap that runs through our family tree :-) The book is pretty expensive for a light read, and if it's a bunch of malarkey I've got other ways to spend my cash!

It is really expensive for a book - however, he has alot of his writings (and almost the content of the entire book although in different formats/sections) available at his website as well as additional information related to narcissism without cost available at his site.

Out of all of the 'experts' regarding narcissism, he comes really close to nailing the entire thing. Including his writings that relate to 'narcissistic supply' and that being the primary goal of all narcissists. He wrote most of the book while in prison (in Israel) for white collar crimes related to shady business dealings and he is in fact a narcissist, and one that has been willing to share what he has learned about narcissists and himself and in that sense, the information is invaluable.

His website has a wealth of information and insight into narcissism as a personality disorder

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), Self-love, Narcissism, Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Relationships with Abusers, Stalkers, and Bullies - Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Re-Visited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology