Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM

133 posts, read 297,063 times

Advertisements

I work with mostly Middle Eastern immigrants and it drives me nuts how often I go to the restroom only to see that the toilet paper roll is empty, just a bare cardboard core that no one bothered to replace. The same goes for the kitchen paper towels. I find it very rude. It's just common courtesy to replace the roll if you finish it, right? I just wonder if this is normal in Middle Eastern culture because where I'm from it's not.

The next time the whole company gets an email about cleaning up after ourselves in the kitchen or whatever, I might respond to everyone saying it would also be courteous to replace toilet paper and paper towel rolls instead of leaving an empty one for the next person to replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
I work with mostly Middle Eastern immigrants and it drives me nuts how often I go to the restroom only to see that the toilet paper roll is empty, just a bare cardboard core that no one bothered to replace. The same goes for the kitchen paper towels. I find it very rude. It's just common courtesy to replace the roll if you finish it, right? I just wonder if this is normal in Middle Eastern culture because where I'm from it's not.

The next time the whole company gets an email about cleaning up after ourselves in the kitchen or whatever, I might respond to everyone saying it would also be courteous to replace toilet paper and paper towel rolls instead of leaving an empty one for the next person to replace.
And it is not uncommon to see urine splattered around urinals being used by us Americans... I guess, it is a part of our culture?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And it is not uncommon to see urine splattered around urinals being used by us Americans... I guess, it is a part of our culture?
Seriously though, they're all very polite, well mannered, intelligent people and this happens constantly. What the hell excuse could they have?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Seriously though, they're all very polite, well mannered, intelligent people and this happens constantly. What the hell excuse could they have?
Not any different than "an American" (according to you) who walks out of the rest room without washing hands. It can't be anything but a part of culture, can it?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM

I know people do dumb crap like that, but this paper roll issue is constant and no one speaks out about it. Surely I'm not the only person that ever walks into the restroom and has to replace the roll from the idiot that used up the last one; it affects everyone.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Maybe they assume that there's a cleaning staff who is supposed to do that, and/or they feel it's not their job.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe they assume that there's a cleaning staff who is supposed to do that, and/or they feel it's not their job.
In the middle of the day? People are in and out of the restroom all throughout the day, and jackasses leave an empty roll at any given point in the day. It's very frustrating and rude to the next person who has to deal with it. That's like finishing a gallon of milk, knowing there's a new one in the basement fridge but not bringing it up to the main fridge for the whomever needs milk next--rude. You might as well spend all day baking pies and then never bother cleaning up after yourself; whomever needs the kitchen next should clean it, right?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM

676 posts, read 1,262,022 times
People in offices can be rude in general, has nothing to do with ethnicity. Don't even get me started on the "efficiency" toilets.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
They don't like what they perceive to be subservient work. It's someone else's job.

Middle easterners from where? Iran? Saudi?

Is there an office manager? Mention it to them. Is there a cleaning staff to do that?

I wouldn't comment on a mass email and blast everyone.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They don't like what they perceive to be subservient work. It's someone else's job.

Middle easterners from where? Iran? Saudi?

Is there an office manager? Mention it to them. Is there a cleaning staff to do that?

I wouldn't comment on a mass email and blast everyone.
Thanks for the intelligent response. They're from different places: Pakistan, maybe Iraq, and my boss is from Lebanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology