Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:57 PM

590 posts, read 714,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
While I agree with a lot of the replies for other people, I will only speak for myself. On the one hand I hate Facebook not sure why I just hate it but on the other hand my cellphone is pretty much my pacemaker. I know that sounds sad but when I don't have it I'm literally lost. The weird thing is I hate talking on the phone (I'd much prefer face to face) but I always need to leave my home with it to feel better. However, a lot of it is because I keep my music on it. I try not to listen to it in a public place though because I don't think people want to hear me killing a cat but it's really important for me to have it available for an appropriate time like in the car. I honestly don't know where I'd be without my music. It's basically my best friend. When I was little, I constantly had the radio on since that's when the radio had good music. Also I'm the type to need something to do (which is why it's hard for me to sleep) When I had to go to a reception for a relative I got really bored because the only thing to do was to talk to other people. When I take my phone in a grocery store for example that gives me something to do because usually I scan products for reward points. It'd be one thing if I was vacationing because when I went to San Diego though I had my phone with me it was mostly for taking some pictures so I didn't really use it much but where I live the people are so redneck and the town itself is so boring...nothing to do but eat or shop at a grocery store or ordinary stores like Best Buy.
This is why I'm always on my phone as well. Boredom. I get so bored here in the s***hole western wa state, specifically the puget sound. Soon will be moving to eastern wa on 25 acres where there's barely 3G service at the house haha! I've mentioned this to my in laws and my mom in law and sister in law made it clear they wouldn't stay long during visits because of no cell service. That is a real pity. Oh well wife and kids and I don't get much visitors here anyhow. Everyone is too caught up in their own crap to take time to slow down and spend time with family. My oldest daughter of 7 years recently asked for a cell phone because most kids her age at school have one wife and I said you can get one when you can pay the initial up front cost of one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 05:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
One simple reason: Relevancy.

It makes people relevant, important. I read an article that stated being ignored triggers the same effects as physical pain. This is one thing we do NOT like being. Ignored. Being on your cellphone where the action is always with you, you can always keep in touch, see how many likes your stuff has gotten etc, eliminates this. Being on Facebook where you can post everything your little heart desires and make yourself more relevant eliminates this.

Who needs face to face when the internet is just as good? :P
This -- in spades.

Had a friend once and we used to have such great conversations, and enjoyed each other's company, did all sorts of things together.... but she didn't feel important and started "working" more. I mean -- she made up her own work, and it made her feel important so ...okay.

But because she was choosing to be SO SO busy, she had to streamline her friends and it was no longer one on one, it became one (of her) and two of us... then four... then six or seven... and soon it felt more like she was holding court than being a friend.

A lot of people don't see value in sitting one on one and chatting, or drinking tea, or playing cards or whatever... it doesn't further their agenda. It doesn't make them feel important. If you aren't very very very very busy, you are nothing.

That's why everyone has to be attached by the phone/internet. I mean -- I prefer a old fashioned flip phone... but the one they sell at my carrier is AWFUL.... and it turns the ringer off on itself all the time, so I miss calls....

so the next one will be a smart phone. What choice do I have? The carriers are pushing us toward smart phones and then touting that every one is choosing smart phones.....that's not a win... sort of like touting a win for zippers because no one has a button hook anymore. No one has button hooks because shoes don't come with buttons anymore. Has nothing to do with the zipper.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 PM

356 posts, read 365,427 times
Oh and I use the GPS...bout it.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 PM

590 posts, read 714,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
This -- in spades.

Had a friend once and we used to have such great conversations, and enjoyed each other's company, did all sorts of things together.... but she didn't feel important and started "working" more. I mean -- she made up her own work, and it made her feel important so ...okay.

But because she was choosing to be SO SO busy, she had to streamline her friends and it was no longer one on one, it became one (of her) and two of us... then four... then six or seven... and soon it felt more like she was holding court than being a friend.

A lot of people don't see value in sitting one on one and chatting, or drinking tea, or playing cards or whatever... it doesn't further their agenda. It doesn't make them feel important. If you aren't very very very very busy, you are nothing.

That's why everyone has to be attached by the phone/internet. I mean -- I prefer a old fashioned flip phone... but the one they sell at my carrier is AWFUL.... and it turns the ringer off on itself all the time, so I miss calls....

so the next one will be a smart phone. What choice do I have? The carriers are pushing us toward smart phones and then touting that every one is choosing smart phones.....that's not a win... sort of like touting a win for zippers because no one has a button hook anymore. No one has button hooks because shoes don't come with buttons anymore. Has nothing to do with the zipper.
I like this post, especially the bold part! I married my wife because not so long ago in 2006 I started dating her. She has awesome qualities. Our first real date was a skating rink. No phones, no social media to check, just good food and skating and flirting and getting to know one another. We wed in 2008. We are 27 years old now and still do not have social media...we did have it once, got sick of the "rift raft" that ensued from having it. Got rid of it, hurt allot of peoples feelings because we weren't "cyber friends"...get over it! Anyways, theres allot to be said about chatting over coffee or tea or dinner or lunch or breakfast. Theres certain qualities about a person you pick up on and learn about that cannot be had from communicating via electronics. The brain retains certain characteristics about a persons personality when you are face to face in real life talking and listening and hearing a persons voice and seeing their face. Its daunting to think that the future of our race will be predominately communicating on every level except in person. That will be the norm 20 years from now(or less). People like myself will relish the days when you could sit down face to face with a pretty woman and take in her beauty for what it is and hear her voice. Or talk face to face with a salesman and negotiate the price....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology