Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times

Advertisements

Not sure where this goes but figured Psychology was as good a choice as any.

A few summers ago, I was at my old house working at my computer in my home office. It was the middle of the afternoon and I suddenly heard the chimes of "the ice cream man" (at least that's what we called him when I was growing up -- it always WAS men back then, although that has likely changed). IMMEDIATELY when I heard the music, I started to tear up, and within 10 seconds I was crying uncontrollably. This went on for several minutes.

To this day I have absolutely no idea why. Just before this happened, I was not emotional at all -- I was just doing work on my computer. So it wasn't like I was feeling sad and just chose that moment to start crying.

I am thinking it was a memory trigger, but of what? And have others had similar triggers?

(I had something similar when I opened a can of soup that one of my kitties had just loved ... wrote about that in another thread ... //www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...weve-lost.html . This "ice cream truck" trigger felt different.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times

Derren Brown - The Experiments: The Guilt Trip (Full) - YouTube

This takes a pretty intense look at the power of emotional triggers.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
MAniacTHW, can you say something about why that particular episode is relevant to my question? (I'm not saying it's not, but whenever I see videos or links posted it would be nice it the poster stated how they are relevant. EG how does he take an "intense look" at emotional triggers? From what I understand that episode is about someone confessing to a crime he or she did not commit. Not sure what the connection is to my post.)

Old 09-08-2012, 07:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
So interesting. I have noticed something similar with myself but I can tie my reaction to it's cause.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:24 PM

731 posts, read 1,578,871 times
I read a little about emotional triggers and found there are all kinds, some positive and some negative.
The material I read seemed to say that for an emotional trigger to make you cry, it is likely something associated with that ice cream chime made you feel extremely sad and you repressed those feelings. Hearing the chime touched on your feelings about that situation and so you cried, maybe you needed to cry a long time ago about that but didn't. You are the only one who really knows what that chime means to you, but we all have feelings we have repressed.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Interesting. Certain things trigger certain responses from all people. As a previous poster has said I have always been able to understand the cause of these triggers for me. A train horn..the sight of a Christmas tree through a window on a cold December night, rain on the roof with thunder and lightning, I cud go on and on.
As to triggering a repressed memory, hmmm, Havnt had a personal incident such as that, but, Im quite sure it happens to folks all the time. The things i mentioned as perzonal triggers have a VERY powerful effect on me. Powerful and complicated. Sights smells sounds touch....all trigger different things in different people for different reasons..some good, some VERY distressing and even a mixture of both. Your question really got me thinking. My list of triggers is quite long. Frankly, not a day goes by I dont trigger thus on SOMETHING.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,268 times
Music can be my trigger. It doesn't trigger any specific memory, but when I hear certain songs I am ready to end it all....I'm glad I have my kids to keep me going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology