Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a very enjoyable book called "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner. Not very far into it yet - but great so far. In the chapter I'm reading now, he talks about an experiment by Robert Nozick called the Experience Machine in which a hypothetical machine would be able to stimulate the brain in order to induce pleasure. It's perfectly safe with no chance of any kind of damage. You would, with no risk, be able to experience constant pleasure for the rest of your life.

Would you do it? Nozcik found that most people would not leading him to conclude that there is more to happiness than pleasure/more to life than pleasure. What exactly that is is harder to nail down. Do we want to achieve our happiness instead of just experience it (is that a part of what makes us "happpy"?). Do we need the ups and downs to appreciate the ups? ??????

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM

57 posts, read 102,117 times
Isn't that what Opium does?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
Isn't that what Opium does?
But opium is deadly. This machine is perfectly safe.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Anyone who's experienced it know all too well that pleasure gets old, and it gets old faster and faster the more one gets.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
Many years ago a researcher connected implants into rat's brains which stimulated their sexual pleasure area. And connected those to a switch which the rats could press...

The rats behaved like a drug addict - constantly pressing the switch and neglecting everything else like resting, drinking water, and eating. I think they died from this?

Anyway fun, happiness, and pleasure is not so without sometimes having the opposite. The bad and not so good times make the good times good!

As an example, what does air smell like? We don't know because we are always smelling it. Same with pleasure. It would not be pleasure if we always had it!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Don't you remember that old Twilight Zone episode where the gangster dies. He was afraid he was going to hell because of all the bad things he did in life. Well, he gets to his eternal place and there are beautiful women, the best cigars, booze, pool tables, etc. All his favorite things. He's convinced he' sin heaven. He shoots pool and gets every single shot. He has every single thing his heart could ever possibly desire. He just has to say the word and *poof* there it is. Perfect games of pool, never missing a shot. Hot dames, etc etc etc.

After a while, he started getting tired of it. He was going crazy because everything was "too perfect".... he finally realized he was NOT in heaven; he was in hell.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM

588 posts, read 957,743 times
I believe we need the ups and downs to appreciate the ups!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Happened= lower expectations

Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Don't you remember that old Twilight Zone episode where the gangster dies. He was afraid he was going to hell because of all the bad things he did in life. Well, he gets to his eternal place and there are beautiful women, the best cigars, booze, pool tables, etc. All his favorite things. He's convinced he' sin heaven. He shoots pool and gets every single shot. He has every single thing his heart could ever possibly desire. He just has to say the word and *poof* there it is. Perfect games of pool, never missing a shot. Hot dames, etc etc etc.

After a while, he started getting tired of it. He was going crazy because everything was "too perfect".... he finally realized he was NOT in heaven; he was in hell.
I remember that one! To answer my own question in the OP, I wouldn't do it. Why is kind of hard to articulate because I'm not happy now and would love to be. I guess the idea of the machine making you happy seems like faux happiness to me (though the brain wouldn't know the difference). It doesn't sound "real" - because it isn't really based on anything. It doesn't sound rewarding. Though if it was a portable machine and I could be hooked up while still doing my everyday things, it would be nice to be in a better mood. But I guess that begs the question of would we stop doing the things we do to be happy because we didn't need them anymore?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
There are different levels of "happiness". There is:
  1. Pleasure. This is momentary and physical.
  2. Happiness. This is longer term and involves our mind.
  3. Peace/Joy. This last the longest (eternal, for some) and involves your spirit/soul.
A person can have one without the other two (or two without the third).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology