Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,767,047 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current job for about 2 years now and have experienced the same issue with the same co-worker ever since I started. I'm not the only person who has issues with this co-worker. The problem is that this co-worker always leaves us with lots of tasks that need to be finished before he leaves his shift so that we don't get backed up on the workload of the night shift. He works all the dayshifts as we work the night shift. Management will come to us when it's busy at night sometimes saying this or that needs to be filled up or this or that hasn't been done and you need to do it. I have never had problems busting my butt or doing what managment says, but when I'm constantly having to do other peoples' job or getting blamed because another co-worker doesn't do his job, it pisses me off. Sometimes we don't have the time to pick up the slack from the dayshift when we have to be focused on our nightshift duties. I cannot just walk out of my shift at the end of the night without completing all tasks, but the day guy always leaves his shift and most of the work he didn't do for us to do. This co-worker has been there for 6 or 7 years now, but I don't think that makes it ok for management to overlook these issues and let the guy do what he wants. I've had 2 different managers in my 2 years at this place, but they both fail to make this guy do his job properly. I have been through periods of saying what's the use of complaining about this because nobody cares, but then it builds up and I have a period again of going to management trying to provide ideas and ways to change this behavior. What should I do? Anyone else dealing with this too?

Last edited by RazorRob305; 09-24-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,211,996 times
1. They say "The boss sees all!" (The managers probably know all about this guy.)

2. Many managers have their hands tied. They may not be allowed to fire anyone. If there is a union involved, there may be little or nothing the managers (or even the owner of the company) can do.

3. I would suggest you just do the best you can under the circumstances. The boss will see that too.

4. Ask your boss what you need to do to get promoted and move up in the company. Take classes on supervision / management and industrial relations. The best classes are "post graduate" "extension" classes taught by a real world supervisor or manager and all the students in the class are supervisors. You learn more from the students than the teacher! And you will learn *why* they can't fire people. (It can get to be ridiculous at some businesses with unions.)

Here is a good book on how managers can have their hands tied by unions and lawyers...
Strike: The Daily News War and the Future of American Labor: Richard Vigilante: 9780671796310: Amazon.com: Books

Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,068,603 times
When I worked in a restaurant in college with 2 shifts the day person had to check in with the night person before they could leave to make sure everything from the day got done that was supposed to. I don't know what line of work this is, but could you suggest something like this?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
When I worked in a restaurant in college with 2 shifts the day person had to check in with the night person before they could leave to make sure everything from the day got done that was supposed to. I don't know what line of work this is, but could you suggest something like this?
I work in a resturaunt too, but this guy leaves at 2pm and nightshift comes in at 4pm...we deliver food so it's not like the servers who stay until the next shift comes in. I've confronted him in a nice way letting him know he needs to complete certain tasks because it leaves us backed up, but that didn't help and over the last 2 years me and other drivers have suggested to managers ways to make things better, and told them it isn't fair, but I guess they are too afraid to make this guy uncomfortable. The reason we get mad is because we all have to work that dayshift sometimes and know what gets done during that time but management always makes excuses for him like it was too busy during dayshift for him to complete his side work or he had to leave because he was sick or this or that, yet the store is always kept up when anyone else works that shift...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,814,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
What should I do?
He's in someone's pocket, and you're not. Stop worrying about being a good employee, and learn to be a good schmoozer.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
1. They say "The boss sees all!" (The managers probably know all about this guy.)

2. Many managers have their hands tied. They may not be allowed to fire anyone. If there is a union involved, there may be little or nothing the managers (or even the owner of the company) can do.

3. I would suggest you just do the best you can under the circumstances. The boss will see that too.

4. Ask your boss what you need to do to get promoted and move up in the company. Take classes on supervision / management and industrial relations. The best classes are "post graduate" "extension" classes taught by a real world supervisor or manager and all the students in the class are supervisors. You learn more from the students than the teacher! And you will learn *why* they can't fire people. (It can get to be ridiculous at some businesses with unions.)

Here is a good book on how managers can have their hands tied by unions and lawyers...
Strike: The Daily News War and the Future of American Labor: Richard Vigilante: 9780671796310: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for the link to that book. Yeah I know sometimes managers are stuck in positions where they can't do anything, and I don't really hate this guy in a personal way because I've worked with him before and he's not really a bad person and has a kid, so I don't want him to get fired. I basically don't care what happens until I walk into my shifts somedays and nothing has been done, or when people blame me and the other night drivers for nothing being done when it isn't our fault, that's what makes me mad. I just want them to create a system where they at least check on what people do before they leave, but they haven't listened or cared about those kinds of ideas. As far as getting promoted, I would rather not be a manager at a resturaunt because it's way too much stress for the pay they recieve. I always do my best regardless of what's going on, it's just my nature to bust my butt and keep things organized. My father growing up instilled a good work ethic in me and my brother, he was a military man and wouldn't let us go to bed without the room being clean, and we always were assigned chores everyday after we did homework, so that stuck with me all these years. Thanks for the response and the link!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,211,996 times
Quote:
...I basically don't care what happens until I walk into my shifts somedays and nothing has been done, or when people blame me and the other night drivers for nothing being done when it isn't our fault, that's what makes me mad...
So far as the previous work not being done, I wouldn't worry about that. You have a job to do, so do whatever you can during your shift. And you can only do so much. If you can't complete all the work that needs to be done (because there is too much work), then they need to hire additional workers or get that guy to get his work done. Anyway it does not matter *what* work you do, just do as much as you can.

So far as other people "blaming you" for work not being done when in fact it is the other person who is at fault, that IS a problem! Do defend yourself! Point out why that work was not done. If this is a constant problem, make a list of what was not done when you got there, and then hand it to the person(s) doing this complaining. Do that every day until they get the point and understand where the problem actually is.

i.e Develop your own system to better communicate to "them" why work is not being completed. (If they want to gripe and blame you for this. If they don't gripe, then no problem!)

BTW - It sounds to me like you would make a good manager. One job a manager does is to develop systems such as you suggested above. However there is a curse to being a manager. That is you are very good at doing your job (thus why you were promoted), but the employees who work for you will not be as good at doing their work as you. And you can't expect them to be. You can't do everyone's job for them (as a manager). So you need to be patient and let people complete tasks at their own speed.

Sort of like having children. You need to be patient and realize different people have different speeds and capabilities.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,073,546 times
The management have obviously decided, for whatever reasons....That this guy gets a pass. Have you asked to switch to days?? If you could do days it may help you see just how busy he really is...It is surprising how different two shifts can be and it might make you feel less resentment.
Only other thing you can do is look for a better job. Good luck to you.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,349,365 times
Quote:
I have been at my current job for about 2 years now and have experienced the same issue with the same co-worker ever since I started. I'm not the only person who has issues with this co-worker. The problem is that this co-worker always leaves us with lots of tasks that need to be finished before he leaves his shift so that we don't get backed up on the workload of the night shift. He works all the day shifts as we work the night shift. Management will come to us when it's busy at night sometimes saying this or that needs to be filled up or this or that hasn't been done and you need to do it. I have never had problems busting my butt or doing what management says, but when I'm constantly having to do other peoples' job or getting blamed because another co-worker doesn't do his job, it pisses me off. Sometimes we don't have the time to pick up the slack from the day shift when we have to be focused on our night shift duties. I cannot just walk out of my shift at the end of the night without completing all tasks, but the day guy always leaves his shift and most of the work he didn't do for us to do. This co-worker has been there for 6 or 7 years now, but I don't think that makes it OK for management to overlook these issues and let the guy do what he wants. I've had 2 different managers in my 2 years at this place, but they both fail to make this guy do his job properly. I have been through periods of saying what's the use of complaining about this because nobody cares, but then it builds up and I have a period again of going to management trying to provide ideas and ways to change this behavior. What should I do? Anyone else dealing with this too?
I never really thought of who's work I was doing if the boss told me to do it I would do it . at the end of the day if the boss wants to know why it wasn't finished, sit down and explain what you did that day and hopefully he will realize you didn't have the time to finish and I would also ask him to get a detailed account of the first shift time frame who knows maybe a third shift would be added then you could pass yours onto them......and nothing will get done

Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,163,252 times
There should be a list of things every worker HAS to do before he leaves..You finish your list and dont finish his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology