Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,710,470 times

Advertisements

Why are men (meaning males) responsible for most of the bad things that happen (war, murder, crime, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,406,938 times
nothing

Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,791,830 times
It's the way men are socialized. If you look at a country like Sweden there is far lower crime rates. We raise our boys to only be allowed to express one emotion...anger. Well this easily spills over into violence.

Also women play a role in this as they generally reward the most violent men.. If women picked the most gentle men (even if they are downright wimps) and had their children (and boycotted all violent men) eventually the human race would become more civilized. The bad DNA wouldn't be passed and boys would grow up with gentle men as role models.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM

132 posts, read 175,294 times
Males are taught to repress feelings and emotions, which is a terrible thing. Many men "snap" because of repressed feelings, which fester over a number of years. Since crying or displaying any kind of emotion is seen as a weakness, often the only way that a man knows how to react is through intense anger and/or even violence.

In the US, it seems to be worse than other countries I've spent time in. Men here seem to be extremely repressed, some angry and miserable. Change that, open up lines of communication and I bet that instances of men 'going postal' will drop quite drastically.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM

956 posts, read 1,761,375 times
Don't forget that in many places-not only in the US- that it it is the mothers who pamper/manipulate/make excuses/enable their sons. I used to think it was usually the men,ie, the fathers ' fault (msle- dominated societies) but it is the former , having suffered at the hands of their mothers-in-law and menfolk, who SHOULD KNOW BETTER and do their part with their own sons. You cannot change yur husband but the sons under your guidane are a different matter.

Of course,those women would support their sons even when they are convicted of serious crimes.. then hidebehind their husbands when called out on it...

Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,189,869 times
Gudra, sorry you have such a poor perception of women, and that you choose to blame them for the suffering they've endured at the hands of others...Don't you think that fathers should be setting a good example for their sons?, and don't you think if they did, these young men would reap the benefit of this guidance from their father?...not just their mother?...I'm thinking the opposite of what you say in your last sentence, I'm thinking that when the sons screw up it's the father who blames the mothers lack of guidance ,as he "hides behind" her....To the OP I would say that women are for the most part too busy keeping the peace to have time for any serious wrong doing.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,833,863 times
I'm going to make a T-Shirt that says...

Women are crazy, Men are Stupid.

It's a fact of life.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Purehuman, you obviously have not read my post properly. I am a big supporter of women but of the GOOD variety. I love GOOD MEN AN WOMEN just dislike the bad ones.Started really observe the bad mothers and yes, there are the good ones but just ask wives about their mothers-in-law and listen closely when you hear the mothers of criminals. They defend them to the end. What if they were the ones who got raped, beaten up? Bet they would be changing their tunes. And the criminals' mums would be like they were earlier, siding their sons.

They had me fooled because I somehow thought they were decent for the most part and shold do better. I have been at the receiving end of disrespect, discrimination and just plain arrogance in thos country (not the US) so I am even more mindful of foreigners in my own. I think of how it was like and try mybest to be helpful and supportive, as an example. I already anticipated your type of response. If people don't wish for reasonable criticism, then do things the decent way and don't shoot the observer!

It,s bad enough that women shouldhave to suffer at the hands of some of the baddies but OTHER WOMEN to be the excusing them is simply unacceptable. I like women but men often support their fellow menn. Sadly some women won't.

Naturally, you make reasonable observations about anything or anyone without someone getting upset without a good reason.

Last edited by Gudra; 10-22-2012 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Morkradd (sorry, English keyboard here!), how much more repressed are the men in the US, compared to say, Germany , Holland and Russia? I am somewhat familiar with how it's like in Scandinavia. You'll probably say the English are the same, too I always like the gentle, thoughtful types myself. The Latin and Balkan men are much more expressive, I often laugh when I see Italian men- they aren't afraid to be emotional!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,710,470 times
I was prompted to post my question about men in response to the latest murder/suicide committed by a man:

Alleged killer had history of wife abuse - Beloit Daily News: News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology