Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

There's a difference between being lonely and being alone.

When you are lonely you are sad because you are missing someone. Someone is not there with you that you wish would there by your side. Sadness and depression are symptoms that accompany loneliness.

Being alone means that you are ok being by yourself. It means that you are comfortable with just yourself and no one else need be there.

Being alone in a crowd can be a reminder of what loneliness is. It is a subtle reminder that even though there are all those people around, they are still strangers and not a substitute for someone that we would consider special, and sadness and even depression can occur there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
Have I? All the time. Nothing would make me happier actually. If I had the money, I would do it today. I feel like a caged animal around other people, continually suffocated. I need to leave Florida to find what I'm looking for. I struggle to find truly remote places here without seeing or hearing a group of *******s nearby.
I fell the same way. I spent all my life living in a semi-rural area with a couple of acers for a back yard, and with woods and trails not to far off. You could do your own thing and not worry to much about bothering people. Now that I'm married I moved in with my wife in surburbia hell. Our back yard is almost completly cement and a garage. The only thing really dividing property are the driveways in between. Some of the animals here make you frightfully to go into certian areas after dark. I need to get back to my roots

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Psychological profession invented hundreds of disorders to expedite milking of the anxious public, the only disorder remaining to be discovered is "normal personality disorder". Check schizoid personality disorder, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorderusg=AFQjCNHV58T19gmqC agata8lW2pGYfivLg&sig2=mhU61gO9yNJxPmYcwiAZ0g

According to descriptions, everyone has a piece of schizoid in him.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:34 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
IMO, introversion is underrated for the peace and solace it brings. If you're fine with it...embrace it.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
I can be in a room of 100 people and be lonely, yet be sitting in house alone and not be lonely.
You sound fine to me.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
I do believe there are different types of loneliness. If you don't need somebody for the sake of entertainment, it is one thing, if you don't need someone who understand your need to surround yourself and connect with nature, for example, it is quite another. If one doesn't feel need to "emotionally" connect with "someone who understand or even share who he is" that's is something that most likely is described by one disorder or another.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think its like anything ;out of site and out of mind. Your only lonely when you see others who fit in and are not loners.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think its like anything ;out of site and out of mind. Your only lonely when you see others who fit in and are not loners.
^Makes sense to me. Boldfaced the first line, which pinpoints the cause-and-effect, stimulus-response, basic theme (it would seem) of OP's description/observation.

Wishing the OP good fortune in someday being able to rural area that better suits the individual's need for solitude & immersion in nature.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 AM

365 posts, read 490,058 times
Sometimes it happens but; not really. I'm single as well and i don't really find myself down as much anymore. But maybe the problem is that when you see a happy couple together or just a couple in general you realize how much better that person is off with another person. I guess look for someone yourself? it might atleast please you in some ways; sorry if it didn't help have a lovely day!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
^Makes sense to me. Boldfaced the first line, which pinpoints the cause-and-effect, stimulus-response, basic theme (it would seem) of OP's description/observation.

Wishing the OP good fortune in someday being able to rural area that better suits the individual's need for solitude & immersion in nature.
I've always been a loner but it stems primarily from moving around a lot as a kid. And while extroverted, I'm married to an introvert and many of his qualities have been transferred to me. This means that we really enjoy being alone, but together. We also search for the solitude and immersion in nature.

The OP sounds perfectly normal to me. I remember in college, perhaps sitting under a tree waiting for my next class, and watching all the students and faculty...busy little beavers...wondering how I could feel so alone while sitting in a busy, thriving environment. Was it that I wanted to belong? That's probably part of it...but what I found was that when I tried to be a part of it, I felt woefully out of place.

The place I'd find real solace and peace was at home. I'm lucky to have found someone who feels the same way. Of course, we live in a very busy city (Dallas) and I constantly dream of being in the woods, or the mountains, or wherever else where theres just nature sounds. No people, no honking, no demanding, no intrusions, no expectations, no nonsense. I didn't realize people out there really felt like they were lonely in crowds but I think I've felt this my whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology