Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You think I'd make a good pscyhologist, since relations/people dynamics is mostly what it's all abou
Yes, you seem to have the analytical abilities 2 8.70%
Yes, but you've got your prejudices that would get in the way 4 17.39%
Yes, but you might lack empathy in an area or two 2 8.70%
Need more information / don't know you 2 8.70%
In your dreams, maybe 0 0%
Hell no 12 52.17%
Other / explain 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

You should "follow your bliss" (extra points if you know who said that without looking it up).

You have some very weird ideas, so just based on that, I think you might fit in with some of the more fringe groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I believe in Meyers-Briggs. Went from ESTJ in college, a more rambunctious setting, to ISTJ, as I moved along in years.

I'm wondering what the hell it is that causes people I barely know on airplanes or trains to tell me their life stories and solicit my advice. Someone joked that I should get paid for it.

Rule #1 about selecting an occupation: "Be sure that you can stay awake and concentrate for those 8+ hours." There are some fields, and employers, where that is a REAL challenge.
Your basic Myers-Briggs type doesn't tend to change unless your E & I were mere points away from each other in the first place.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You have some very weird ideas, so just based on that, I think you might fit in with some of the more fringe groups.
You mean "fringe," as in of THAT occupation, where people contact is not necessarily a part of it 100% of the time. Some psychologists conduct studies, focus groups, and run stats for social psychology hypotheses and follow-ups.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
From what I've read of your posts, you don't appear to have the necessary EQ or empathy to even push a wheelchair in a straight line, let alone treat someone's mental anguish.

It is possible you've helped some people immensely on here and I've just missed it, I suppose...I just don't happen to be one of them.
That's cool. All we have here, really, is a collection of mental and attitudinal images of people, making it fun. I don't have much beyond a mental image of what I think you look like and I don't think it's even accurate, but I took a guess.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Hey, gang, people have told me that: "You should have been a psychologist." Funny, because my schooling is about a 180 from that. Stayed WIDE AWAKE in psychology class, though. My aptitude tests, the kind you are "handed" in HS and college rated me moderately high on this vocational area, thought it's a little late now.

Take the poll. And TRY to be "nice," to avoid lock-up.
Dunno exactly what you're looking for here, but IMO your posts usually seem to fall in the "more reasoned and informative" category. Although if you're seriously considering psychology as an occupation, be aware that most states require at least a college degree (and often a masters) before you can attempt to even say you're a "counselor".

Also, speaking as a sometime veteran of many relationship counselors in particular (until my ex was eventually clinically diagnosed with a behavioral disorder... which explained a lot of things), I might add that psychologists and therapists generally subscribe to some sort of "approach" or school of thought. For example, are you a Behavioralist, a Jungian, classic Freudian, Humanist, Developmental, etc.?

Finally, you might check out a longtime classic book on the field, The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, by Irvin D. Yalom, which covers a lot of the issues of practicing individual psychotherapy as well.

But if you feel a "calling", by all means, pursue it!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM

398 posts, read 545,614 times
I suggest we file this thread under "Be Careful what you ask for..."

When I was in school---many many years ago--- the popular wisdom was that if a person failed at what their current course of study was they "could always Teach." At the time Teaching was this catch-all occupation that a person did not have to do very well, and just about anyone could find a job after all the other more promising opportunities had petered out. I share this to make a point.

My Education, Training and Experience has been in the field of Psychology and, like the folks who saw Teaching in over-simplified terms, I still run into dozens of people who view Psychology in much the same way. Common wisdom is that all a person needs is a good gift of Gab and purient interest in the next person's secrets. And, I won't lie to you, there are tons of people who pass themselves off as "counseling psychologists", "clinical psychologists", "counselors" and so forth who have absolutely no business in the field. Most of the folks I know essentially use their knowledge, not so much to help others as to season their own defenses against having to address personal issues. People are also drawn to the vagueness and non-specificity that are found in the typical Psychology curriculum. An argument can be made for just about any position if one can only use sufficient profundity in saying "it varies according to the Norms of that Society."

Heres a suggestion. If you really think you want to spend a career in Psychology start with Statistics, Assessment and Business courses, first. Leave Psychopath, Psych Models and Abnormal Psych go for a while. See if you still feel the same.

FWIW.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Dunno exactly what you're looking for here, but IMO your posts usually seem to fall in the "more reasoned and informative" category.
Thanks, mateo. It was just a thread idea that crossed my mind, which never sleeps, unfortunately. I get two polarized reactions here - that of one who is caustic and stereotypes, or one who is analytical and "just the facts, please." I'm an acquired taste, and the polling reflects that.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Most of the folks I know essentially use their knowledge, not so much to help others as to season their own defenses against having to address personal issues. People are also drawn to the vagueness and non-specificity that are found in the typical Psychology curriculum.
This is the best part of your quote. Exactly. People for whom this profession, and their armor, is all about "Knowledge is Power." I can think of several people like this. Sad.

I have neither the DEEP ENOUGH interest, the time, the money, and the propriety in life's chronology to do this. In fact, this was moved here from Relationships, where I was looking for the votes to come in from people who have seen my posting style for quite a while - some of whom hate it, and some of whom like it, based on the vitriol or pats on the back I get, respectively.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I really can not gauge based on my limited knowledge of your posts but I have witnessed a pattern with people who study or practice psychology that isn't really flattering.

All of the psych majors that I knew in school had a bit of a screw loose (including an ex-boyfriend who was brillant yet bat hist crazy). Plus, a number of the kids that I went to school with that had "issues" had a parent who was a therapist or psychologist.

Also, many psychologists/psychiartists have "issues" themselves. I am privvy to some really weird psychologist stories (but I will save those for another time)
Look at it this way your dealing with people. So its to go in with a couple of screws loose you come out better than being completely sane and coming out with all your screws loose.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
Quote:
Hey, gang, people have told me that: "You should have been a psychologist." Funny, because my schooling is about a 180 from that. Stayed WIDE AWAKE in psychology class, though. My aptitude tests, the kind you are "handed" in HS and college rated me moderately high on this vocational area, thought it's a little late now.

Take the poll. And TRY to be "nice," to avoid lock-up.
I don't much about your threads but you seem to have a better grasp of psychology and don't throw around terms willy nilly like some folks.

This coming from a Psychology and Sociology Major so my mental is way more than yours trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology