Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times

Advertisements

Ask your doc to put you on a trial of an anti depressant like Zoloft or Paxil. It has literally changed my life. You don't want to take Benzos (which is what Clonopin is) on a daily basis because you will grow a tolerance( aka addiction) to them and you will need more and more in order for it to be effective. It is not pretty...trust me. For sleep issues, I take Trazadone and I went from being a chronic insomniac to sleeping like a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
"In the past I have been diagnosed with ADHD and more recently aspergers syndrome"

the diagnosis du jour.....

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Ask your doc to put you on a trial of an anti depressant like Zoloft or Paxil. It has literally changed my life. You don't want to take Benzos (which is what Clonopin is) on a daily basis because you will grow a tolerance( aka addiction) to them and you will need more and more in order for it to be effective. It is not pretty...trust me. For sleep issues, I take Trazadone and I went from being a chronic insomniac to sleeping like a baby.
No one should need drugs to sleep . . . sleep is a natural process. There are reasons people have insomnia - the drugs you are taking have side effects and toxic residues that are not helpful to your body or spirit.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
No one should need drugs to sleep . . . sleep is a natural process. There are reasons people have insomnia - the drugs you are taking have side effects and toxic residues that are not helpful to your body or spirit.
I'm glad that you sleep well on your own. Until you walk in my shoes, you have no right to decide what's best for me. You certainly don't know what I have been through to get me to this point. However, thanks for your "concern". I am guessing you would just suffer through all the other" natural processes" in life like illnesses such as cancer(if you are one of the unfortunate ones), headaches and other forms of pain, etc.

Last edited by colcat; 11-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-25-2012, 01:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I'm glad that you sleep well on your own. Until you walk in my shoes, you have no right to decide what's best for me. You certainly don't know what I have been through to get me to this point. However, thanks for your "concern". I am guessing you would just suffer through all the other" natural processes" in life like illnesses such as cancer(if you are one of the unfortunate ones), headaches and other forms of pain, etc.
Cancer is not the "natural" course of events - it is the result of a dis-ease process in the body - and emotional body (possibly caused by inflamation and environmental toxins).

Life is not easy for anyone. Believe me, I have my share of problems.

I have found natural sleep remedies - from supplements to essential oils, to my habits and the environment of the room.

Of course you are free to drug yourself if you deem that is what is best for you. I was just saying that sleep is natural and there are alternatives if people care to investigate.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM

239 posts, read 520,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
I am a nervous wreck whenever I do something out of routine, eg., driving somewhere new, social situations, etc. I will be going on vacation in a few days, which is going to send my anxiety into a whole new level, so I went to my doctor to get something to help with my anxiety and he decided to give me a small prescription of Clonazepam (Klonopin), 30 x 0.5mg to be exact, to be taken once in the morning. I took a test dosage today at my doctors request to see how it would affect me.

I works surprisingly well. In the past I have been diagnosed with ADHD and more recently aspergers syndrome. The Clonazepam relieves the anxiety, but also most of my asperger symptoms, eg., racing thoughts, trouble sleeping due to racing thoughts, etc. Even my sever phobia of roaches/spiders (due to the aspergers according to my therapist) is all but gone!

Having seen the positive effects of the Clonazepam, I was thinking about asking the doctor about something less potent to help with my day-to-day asperger/anxiety symptoms.

With this note, my family is ready to dis-own me. My mother says that she has seen too many people fall down the slippery slope of drug usage, where they start with an anti-anxiety drug, and end up ruining their lives because of drugs.

And while I don't care about their opinions one bit, I am concerned that they are right...

I feel like I am innocently looking for help with my disorder, but my family makes it sound like I am about to start doing cocaine or something... Who's right?
I have a family member who has an anxiety disorder and has taken 20 mg. of valium at bedtime for ten years. This medication allows him to sleep and live a normal life. Previously, he was misdiagnosed and given a prescription medication that was wrong for him and that impacted his life negatively. So, it depends. If you are diagnosed correctly and can find the right medication it can be a very good thing.

By the way, my family member has never abused his medication and the amount he has taken per day has never increased. So, not everyone who takes medication like this is a drug abuser. People can be very ignorant and mean-spirited about people taking certain medications, but they don't have to live with the anxiety disorder, which from what I've observed is miserable. Mom's worry and I understand that your mom is most likely just trying to protect you, but she doesn't have to live in your skin. So, yes, be careful, but do what you need to do in order to live as normal and enjoyable a life as possible.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
Why are you discussing prescriptions with your family? I would ask your doctor about the potential for addiction. Also, ask what the max you should be taking so you can be aware if it does become a problem.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM

239 posts, read 520,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am all for avoiding prescription drugs. If you can...then do. However, some people have medical problems and need help in order to live a normal life. My family member was born with a problem and could not sleep even when he was a baby. So, although "sleep is a natural process", for some people that natural process is "broken". While some of us can live normal lives without the help of prescription drugs, others have very real problems that are not helped by something they can buy in a health food store.

Also, my family member tried Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and more of the newer drugs and had severe side effects, so the only thing that works for him is Valium. Sometimes you have to go with a drug in the Benzo family because nothing else works. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another.

Not everyone can be so lucky as you and I and have the luxury of a good night's sleep...naturally.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
I am all for avoiding prescription drugs. If you can...then do. However, some people have medical problems and need help in order to live a normal life. My family member was born with a problem and could not sleep even when he was a baby. So, although "sleep is a natural process", for some people that natural process is "broken". While some of us can live normal lives without the help of prescription drugs, others have very real problems that are not helped by something they can buy in a health food store.

Also, my family member tried Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and more of the newer drugs and had severe side effects, so the only thing that works for him is Valium. Sometimes you have to go with a drug in the Benzo family because nothing else works. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another.

Not everyone can be so lucky as you and I and have the luxury of a good night's sleep...naturally.
This.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
You both are...
Prescription drugs can certainly be abused.
However, YOUR responses to the Klonopin were entirely positive!
Stop right there! That is YOUR answer.

As a medical professional for many years, please ignore comments that tell you to deal with it, all dope is dope etc. Sorry, but these comments on this thread are a bit ignorant and entirely out of line. Unless YOU are the treating MD for this OP, then you have no business giving advice.

The MD in this instance has made a recommendation and OP has seen benefit.

Discuss your concerns regarding potential abuse...MD might agree it is possible to use Klonopin on an as needed basis (prn)...this is the way I use Klonopin for myself, on rare occasions. You could also discuss other medicines that might decrease some of your symptoms and lessen the amt/need for Klonopin.

The goal is NOT to avoid medicines...
it is to gain relief from worrisome, lifestyle-altering and aggravating symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
I am a nervous wreck whenever I do something out of routine, eg., driving somewhere new, social situations, etc. I will be going on vacation in a few days, which is going to send my anxiety into a whole new level, so I went to my doctor to get something to help with my anxiety and he decided to give me a small prescription of Clonazepam (Klonopin), 30 x 0.5mg to be exact, to be taken once in the morning. I took a test dosage today at my doctors request to see how it would affect me.

I works surprisingly well. In the past I have been diagnosed with ADHD and more recently aspergers syndrome. The Clonazepam relieves the anxiety, but also most of my asperger symptoms, eg., racing thoughts, trouble sleeping due to racing thoughts, etc. Even my sever phobia of roaches/spiders (due to the aspergers according to my therapist) is all but gone!

Having seen the positive effects of the Clonazepam, I was thinking about asking the doctor about something less potent to help with my day-to-day asperger/anxiety symptoms.

With this note, my family is ready to dis-own me. My mother says that she has seen too many people fall down the slippery slope of drug usage, where they start with an anti-anxiety drug, and end up ruining their lives because of drugs.

And while I don't care about their opinions one bit, I am concerned that they are right...

I feel like I am innocently looking for help with my disorder, but my family makes it sound like I am about to start doing cocaine or something... Who's right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology