Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM

666 posts, read 1,291,284 times

Advertisements

In many issues, in many situations, it is apparent to me that people who are considered mature are those who learn to simply accept and deal with a world that becomes more difficult to live in.

Those who ask, doubt, question, are socially taken as immature, bitter, and sometimes even as far as dangerous.

So in order to be mature one has to accept mediocrity and deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
I think you first have to ask: What is maturity?

And what do you mean by mediocrity?

If you're defining maturity as having the proper knowledge to make proper decisions then that does not necessarily mean mature people are omniscient/infallible. That is to say, mature people can make immature decisions too.

One could argue that to accept the world as is, without question, is foolhardy and immature, because prior experience gained through a varied life should present multiple options to pick and chose. It is that struggle of thought that, IMO, defines being mature. To me, being mature doesn't mean having a dogmatic view of the world, but rather a solid belief in curiosity fueled by our past experiences.

Those like Ghandi, Mother Teresa; who didn't accept the world as it was, were the most mature (and more importantly wise) people on Earth.

Sometimes realizing that things are, is mature within itself, but I do not think that realization in-itself it is solely sufficient to call one's self mature.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Someone that is emotionally mature accepts that as an adult, they have a limited number of responsible choices that they can make and choose within that realm.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
In many issues, in many situations, it is apparent to me that people who are considered mature are those who learn to simply accept and deal with a world that becomes more difficult to live in.

Those who ask, doubt, question, are socially taken as immature, bitter, and sometimes even as far as dangerous.

I can't say if it's meant to be that way but it certainly is the way it comes across. Like people who settle for "mediocre" jobs, partners, houses, cars, lives, etc. have "grown up". Expectations and goals are seen as "childish, dreaming". Maybe that's just my experience.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Someone that is emotionally mature accepts that as an adult, they have a limited number of responsible choices that they can make and choose within that realm.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking when I read the OP's post above.

Say two guys having an argument in a bar...

Immature: Get into a physical fight.

Mature: One person considers the legal and medical consequences of a physical fight, then walks away or calls the police to handle it.

Or buying something...

Immature: Not having the money to buy something which can wait, yet being impatient and buying it right now and in turn paying a very high rate of interest - maybe winding up paying 5 times to cost of paying cash.

Mature: Calculating the costs of waiting and paying cash as opposed to buying on credit, then saving your money and waiting if that is the best choice. (Or finding a low interest loan.)

So with those two examples, I would say "patience" and "self control" are the differences.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:54 AM

561 posts, read 1,180,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Exactly. Most things in life (including humans) are, by definition, mediocre: Neither outstanding, nor egregious, but somewhere in between. I'm 41 now, and have settled into a job that I neither hate nor loathe. But, it pays fairly well, the benefits are great (esp retirement), and the hours are highly flexible. While it's certainly not a dream job, at my age changing jobs is a PITA, so I might as well stay where I am to build up retirement.

I think part of maturity/getting older is being realistic, practical, and accepting your own mortality. As this point in my life I've basically accepted that I'm just an average person, who probably won't acheive significant social notoriety. In other words, I'm like the overwhelming multitude of persons who've ever existed and ever will exist.

As young adult, many of us have/had seemingless boundless energy and ambition. Many strived for greatness/notoriety, but few acheive it. So yes, at some point most of us have to accept our 'lot', and at some point settle into a life that's practical, even if it isn't thrilling.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Great post! I fully agree.

There is one thing, though, I think we should NOT do:

Accept being in a relationship/married (or "settle") with someone you do not love or, for whatever reason, no longer care about or in fact, despise.

That, folks, is hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post

Exactly. Most things in life (including humans) are, by definition, mediocre: Neither outstanding, nor egregious, but somewhere in between. I'm 41 now, and have settled into a job that I neither hate nor loathe. But, it pays fairly well, the benefits are great (esp retirement), and the hours are highly flexible. While it's certainly not a dream job, at my age changing jobs is a PITA, so I might as well stay where I am to build up retirement.

I think part of maturity/getting older is being realistic, practical, and accepting your own mortality. As this point in my life I've basically accepted that I'm just an average person, who probably won't acheive significant social notoriety. In other words, I'm like the overwhelming multitude of persons who've ever existed and ever will exist.

As young adult, many of us have/had seemingless boundless energy and ambition. Many strived for greatness/notoriety, but few acheive it. So yes, at some point most of us have to accept our 'lot', and at some point settle into a life that's practical, even if it isn't thrilling.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:

What about people who PRETEND to accept a world that's becoming more difficult to live in. Sometimes a pretense can save ones self from being judged by others who are more into behaving in the accepted norm...personally I feel those that DO question, and doubt what we are told to believe, ARE the more mature, though I understand what you're saying, as I have been called a dangerous fear monger more than once...I think in order to be "mature" we absolutely do not have to accept mediocrity, just deal with it in our own way, and perhaps remain calm, and forgiving, when others spew lies and try to put us down for believing differently than they.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Emotional maturity means knowing what needs to be done and doing it - without whining or expectation of reward.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:

im of the opinion that many people label you mature , co-opperative , affable if you do what they want

immature , possessing a bad attitude , obnoxious , if you dont do what they want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology