Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,172,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Other than having a human biology, i hardly resemble any human being, for some reason I feel like I am alone in this world. Although I can talk to people truth is that I have never had any circle of many friends. Introvert, asexual, shy, analytical to the core, highly spiritual, non-religious, celibate, I like to be alone most of the time... I now meditate about my calling here on Earth, sometimes I feel I am way too different from others, in fact I kind of like being different. I really dislike doing things just because other do them, I don't take anything for granted unless it is quite logical to me. I know I am different, just I cannot tell how different I am.

What would be my best environment? I feel I am where I should not be.
You sound a lot like me. I think the best thing for people like you (and me) is to know you're not alone, and you're not weird. You don't seem upset about the way you are, which is good. I went to counseling because people kept telling me I was "different", but it never really bothered me. My counselor also agreed that if this is my normal, then it's ok. I function well in my job because it's analytical, and I get along quite well with co workers because I don't get angry or hard to deal with as much as other people. I do, however, LOVE to make people laugh, it's the only time I feel truly connected. Other than that, Im pretty neutral.

The good thing about being "homeless" emotionally in this case is that you constantly want to explore. Take advantage, study many things, enrich yourself. Sounds cheesy but it's the one thing that keeps me grounded. I read a lot of books, do puzzles, etc.

I didn't really answer your question, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone in that slightly disconnected but not really caring feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 PM

7,691 posts, read 5,559,431 times
I'm reminded of these words written by Henry David Thoreau:

Quote:
If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured, or far away.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,173,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
People like you went and became monks in the old days.
Pity most of those who do become priests truly aren't asexual.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,173,724 times
Pardon me for saying this, but people like you are refreshing to me. I don't know if you've ever say wanted to have the desire to be with someone and have that desire fulfilled, there are other joys in life. In the end, we all live and die and who remembers us anyway, life is just a waiting room for death where we fill in the time doing various activities.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,947,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I'm reminded of these words written by Henry David Thoreau:
Thoreau p*sses me off. You can mention "loners in literature" in any group of people, and someone will always refer to Thoreau's Walden. He was just a loner-wannabe in reality. All through Walden, he's associating with people all the time, walking into town to see people, etc. Sure his writings on nature, transcendental philosophy, and tax protest are great. But I believe he was not a true loner; he just aspired to be. He needed human contact. But the general public holds him up as an example of the profound hermit. Not so much. He only took his solitude in small doses.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Thoreau p*sses me off. You can mention "loners in literature" in any group of people, and someone will always refer to Thoreau's Walden. He was just a loner-wannabe in reality. All through Walden, he's associating with people all the time, walking into town to see people, etc. Sure his writings on nature, transcendental philosophy, and tax protest are great. But I believe he was not a true loner; he just aspired to be. He needed human contact. But the general public holds him up as an example of the profound hermit. Not so much. He only took his solitude in small doses.
Does someone have to be a loner to say something very wise about loners?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,168,512 times
Very few people are true loners. It's logistically extremely hard to survive without human contact unless one lives in Alaska and hunts moose. And even then, you're going to need, power, fuel, possibly a phone for emergencies.

People are evolved to be social animals- like many mammals, even the most introverted of us desires contact on some level. Sometimes in nature, for example in an elephant group, there exist males who live outside the matriarch's group, and they usually have shorter life spans than their counterparts within the herd.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,947,902 times
If he is not held up by people as the "ultimate loner" then fine, he can comment on solitude all he wants. Since he wrote well, his writings tend to be good or "wise." If people could say he was a good writer who happened to explore solitude, fine. But so many people make him into the most famous historical "wise loner," and it's just not true.

Though, when he wrote about his need and attempts to separate from society in Walden, he was either dishonest, or deluding himself, since he was not separating from society at all.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM

I thought the purpose of this thread was to try to help with the OP's sense of alienation. That's why I posted Thoreau's words. I've thought of that quotation whenever I've encountered others out of synch with those around them so I thought the words might help the OP.

I am perplexed how discussing Thoreau himself will help the OP in any way.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,752,239 times
most people who are asexual or have Aspergers (which I know the OP does not) feel like this. The world is structured around the majority and what they think, feel, and want and not anybody on the outskirts of society. There's nothing in this world for those people but ridicule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology