Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,003,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I thought the purpose of this thread was to try to help with the OP's sense of alienation. That's why I posted Thoreau's words. I've thought of that quotation whenever I've encountered others out of synch with those around them so I thought the words might help the OP.

I am perplexed how discussing Thoreau himself will help the OP in any way.
It won't. It just set me off.

Although it MAY help the OP if he goes in search of Thoreau for inspiration. He'll be sorely disappointed, and I may have been able to prevent that. Thoreau didn't march to the tune of his own drummer, but he in essence belonged to a "drum circle" of people claiming to march to their own unique tunes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM

516 posts, read 1,621,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
most people who are asexual or have Aspergers (which I know the OP does not) feel like this. The world is structured around the majority and what they think, feel, and want and not anybody on the outskirts of society. There's nothing in this world for those people but ridicule.
Might also want to look up Schizotypl Personality

Here's a link:

Schizotypal personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This probably doesn't help but it does suggest that you're not an alien and that there are others...

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,774,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Might also want to look up Schizotypl Personality

Here's a link:

Schizotypal personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This probably doesn't help but it does suggest that you're not an alien and that there are others...

okay -- not sure how that relates to what I said. I don't have schizotypal personality disorder. I do, however, have the two things I mentioned in the previous post.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM

516 posts, read 1,621,825 times
Quote:
okay -- not sure how that relates to what I said. I don't have schizotypal personality disorder. I do, however, have the two things I mentioned in the previous post.

Not for you to review, but rather the OP.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,972,007 times
You may well be a "walk-in." Look it up, and if so, post in the "Unexplained Mysteries" forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,308,961 times
Quote:
most people who are asexual or have Aspergers (which I know the OP does not) feel like this. The world is structured around the majority and what they think, feel, and want and not anybody on the outskirts of society. There's nothing in this world for those people but ridicule.
Asperger's doesn't always come with a negative attitude, though. There are plenty of aspies who find their niche and don't get all miserable about it.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,249,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Other than having a human biology, i hardly resemble any human being, for some reason I feel like I am alone in this world. Although I can talk to people truth is that I have never had any circle of many friends. Introvert, asexual, shy, analytical to the core, highly spiritual, non-religious, celibate, I like to be alone most of the time... I now meditate about my calling here on Earth, sometimes I feel I am way too different from others, in fact I kind of like being different. I really dislike doing things just because other do them, I don't take anything for granted unless it is quite logical to me. I know I am different, just I cannot tell how different I am.

What would be my best environment? I feel I am where I should not be.

Spoiler
fear not lonely one, the day of reckoning for these puny earthlings will be soon at hand and off to the dweegle mines of Gortnikt they will go, you shall in return have Beverly Hills

Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM

360 posts, read 986,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
As long as you have interests, activities, and meaningful work that you can engage in, you are probably just fine without involvement with other people. We've had other threads on how our society discriminates (consciously or unconsciously) against loners, and the biggest example is the prevailing idea that we all must have friends, relationships, a social network, and we all must WANT or NEED friends, dating, sex, etc.

Some of us don't. And that's okay. We have other meaningful things that fill up our lives more than adequately. Just embrace being an "alien." There are lots of us out there. Sometimes we recognize each other, acknowledge each other, and then go about our business. We don't need to hang out or get support from each other, but it's nice knowing that there are others like us out there.
I don't quite agree here.

There is a reason for the adage that no man is an island. We all need a friend at some point of time... i'm pretty sure the OP would be able to find that friend sooner or later and i wish him luck for that.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 AM

23,411 posts, read 29,308,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Other than having a human biology, i hardly resemble any human being, for some reason I feel like I am alone in this world. Although I can talk to people truth is that I have never had any circle of many friends. Introvert, asexual, shy, analytical to the core, highly spiritual, non-religious, celibate, I like to be alone most of the time... I now meditate about my calling here on Earth, sometimes I feel I am way too different from others, in fact I kind of like being different. I really dislike doing things just because other do them, I don't take anything for granted unless it is quite logical to me. I know I am different, just I cannot tell how different I am.

What would be my best environment? I feel I am where I should not be.
Perhaps one underlying reason you prefer being alone, is the hidden fear you may meet up with that "wrong" person who could turn your whole world upside down with one transformational, sexual encounter!

I wholeheartedly agree: Sex is the greatest joy available to mankind!

Some of the content to your post, like "I'm way too different from others", suggests underlying egotism! Hate to burst your bubble but, basically, we're all cut from the same cloth!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-19-2012 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,003,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
I don't quite agree here.

There is a reason for the adage that no man is an island. We all need a friend at some point of time... i'm pretty sure the OP would be able to find that friend sooner or later and i wish him luck for that.

That's because you clearly are not a loner. Non-loners can't grasp that we really don't have such needs, because to you, needing friends is like needing food and water. I would also have trouble believing or understanding if I met a person who never needed to drink water.

I happen to have friends in my life (not many, as I limit that) but it's not because I NEED them. It's because I CHOOSE to have them. I imagine the OP is similar in that way. When or if he chooses, he can and will have a friend. If not, he'll be just fine.

And that "No man is an island" saying? It's from John Donne, and he wasn't saying we all need friends in our lives. He was saying that society is interconnected, and one person's death affects us all, or at least should.
As loners, sure, we're also interconnected to some degree: we live in houses built by other people, eat food grown by other people, use products made by others, go to jobs run by others, follow laws that others follow. We purchase services provided by others with money we've earned from others. We have families. We have empathy, and we are affected by things that happen to others, or things we see in the news. And yes, some of us even have friends. I agree with Donne.

But his quote has been misinterpreted to mean "we all need that fuzzy-wuzzy fwiendship, connection with, and dependence on others." That's just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology