Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 AM

72 posts, read 105,165 times

Advertisements

The premise of the Age of Consent is when a person at a certain age is considered to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts, which is 16 in most places. This has been criticized as being an arbitrary concept but I think nature says that the average age of consent is indeed just. At 16 puberty usually ends meaning that people are sexually mature but more relevant to the subject is that cognitive abilities are fully matured at 16.

Do you believe that 16 is the appropriate age to consider someone to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-21-2012 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Edited due to copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
The premise of the Age of Consent is when a person at a certain age is considered to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts, which is 16 in most places. This has been criticized as being an arbitrary concept but I think nature says that the average age of consent is indeed just. At 16 puberty usually ends meaning that people are sexually mature but more relevant to the subject is that cognitive abilities are fully matured at 16.

Quotes taken from the Cognitive capacity section of this article:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel...p-64-7-583.pdf

With I that said do you believe that 16 is the appropriate age to consider someone to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts?
LOL this is one that can't possibly end badly.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
LOL this is one that can't possibly end badly.
I sense sarcasm from this post. So what facts did I get wrong?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
I think it's appropriate as in my opinion age doesn't effect much on competency to consent to sex especially when it comes to guys as it seems most people have the cognitive abilities and emotional maturity of teenagers. Though I may be bias because I think teenage years are when guys at their peak of attractiveness.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I think it's appropriate as in my opinion age doesn't effect much on competency to consent to sex especially when it comes to guys as it seems most people have the cognitive abilities and emotional maturity of teenagers. Though I may be bias because I think teenage years are when guys at their peak of attractiveness.
Not really. The frontal lobe which is the emotional control center and home to our personality reaches full maturity by ages 25-26.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
I think it's less a question of when we're done growing, and more a question of...what percentage of the population actually waits till they're 18 to have sex? (or 17, like in my state) It's probably not that much, irrelative of whether it's legal or not.

Go with 16.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Leave the teenage girls to teenage boys stop trying to find ways to justify scoping little girls/boys. We can justify anything to suit our wants. First it will be 16, then that won't be low enough to suit some who will come up with research studies to say once menstrual cycle or breast form, game on. We get it some grown people lust for people young enough to be their children.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default This thread.....

=

Got a bad feeling about this one.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Leave the teenage girls to teenage boys stop trying to find ways to justify scoping little girls/boys. We can justify anything to suit our wants. First it will be 16, then that won't be low enough to suit some who will come up with research studies to say once menstrual cycle or breast form, game on. We get it some grown people lust for people young enough to be their children.
It doesn't make sense to worry about things that haven't happened yet.

We get it some grown people lust for people young enough to be their children.

Which I don't see as much more hazardous than younger people their own age having sex with eachother. Younger persons are less emotionally mature, but older persons would be more likely to have the experience to be skilled at manipulating the younger person. It seems to be just a trade off.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
=

Got a bad feeling about this one.
Nah...this'll be fun...a nice bit of controversy. Who's foolhardy/brave enough to get in on this?

Last edited by Clintone; 12-16-2012 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology