Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you have heard today about the death of former Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell. His death has been officially ruled a suicide by hanging. I grew up listening to hip-hop and R&B in the 90's but enjoyed some grunge rock now and again with Soundgarden being one of my favorite grunge bands. It also got me thinking of Another band I liked back in those days the Stone Temple Pilots and their frontman Scott Weiland who died a couple of years ago. His battle with drug addiction was well known.

Drug abuse and suicide seem to happen quite a bit amongst musicians, what is the psychology behind it? Is music a field that attracts more people who are suffering from depression than most professions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
I think artists in general, or those who create probably have or are more emotional than the average person. I also think artists also often feel like outsiders.

If you then become popular and rich, but then still feel like an outsider then that's not necessarily a good combination.

THEN on top of that if you add the availability of drugs and other vices and the ease of which they are obtained, then that's another thing.

Lastly I don't think people understand how grueling playing shows night after night is. I've only played a handful, but I've had friends who went on tour and it may be fun when you're 20, but it's another thing entirely when you're older. Now I don't think Cornell was starving and touring out of a van by any means however it's not necessarily a glamorous or easy job, even with all the amenities.

Granted we don't know why, in this specific case. He could have gone thorough a break up, relapsed, had a bad childhood that finally caught up to him, or perhaps he was in physical pain, or clinically depressed.

I loved Soundgarden when I was in Junior High. I listened to Superunknown on repeat (on tape) for a long time.

I'll listen on my drive home tonight.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm sure some of you have heard today about the death of former Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell. His death has been officially ruled a suicide by hanging. I grew up listening to hip-hop and R&B in the 90's but enjoyed some grunge rock now and again with Soundgarden being one of my favorite grunge bands. It also got me thinking of Another band I liked back in those days the Stone Temple Pilots and their frontman Scott Weiland who died a couple of years ago. His battle with drug addiction was well known.

Drug abuse and suicide seem to happen quite a bit amongst musicians, what is the psychology behind it? Is music a field that attracts more people who are suffering from depression than most professions?
Talk to a few rock n rollers, they tend to be immature.
The ones who kill themselves failed puberty and live in a world they cannot understand.
I have walked that road.

The psychology behind any suicide is that its the single most selfish thing a person can do.

Any addict who is battling addiction is dishonest, there is no battle, recovery requires complete surrender.
Those who are struggling don't want to get clean and sober, they were merely stupid, got caught up in the legal system and forced into recovery, it doesn't work unless they desire to comply.

AA and NA are NOT for people who NEED it, they are for people who WANT it.
Convinced against their will, they are of the same opinion still.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:58 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Drink and drugs can give a great high but has a very bad comedown as well which can lead someone into a depressed state and it's not uncommon to be rather introspective about yourself when this occurs and sink even further into depression.

I think with a musician they crave and seek attention as naturally it only enhances their career and when everyone loves them it's great but the down side of that is when things go bad for whatever reason then being in the spotlight usually effects their career therefore obviously effects them personally so with drink and drugs so rife in that industry and with the above in mind I'd guess many feel it will " comfort " them but in reality ends up costing them dear.

^^^^^ has nothing to do with Chris Cornells death but in general I'm talking about, Thanks for reading.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
It was all the fault of Leonardo da Vinci. I will have more to add as the topic progresses.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Talk to a few rock n rollers, they tend to be immature.
The ones who kill themselves failed puberty and live in a world they cannot understand.
I have walked that road.

The psychology behind any suicide is that its the single most selfish thing a person can do.

Any addict who is battling addiction is dishonest, there is no battle, recovery requires complete surrender.
Those who are struggling don't want to get clean and sober, they were merely stupid, got caught up in the legal system and forced into recovery, it doesn't work unless they desire to comply.

AA and NA are NOT for people who NEED it, they are for people who WANT it.
Convinced against their will, they are of the same opinion still.
terrible post on every single level

Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
terrible post on every single level
Thanks.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:

While the psychology behind any behavior and/or mental health disorders is unique to the individual, the following is true about performers, particularly ones on the level of internationally known acts:

-Touring and recording schedules are grueling. People with grueling schedules often resort to substances to deal with exhaustion, insomnia, physical pain, anxiety, stress, etc.

-Relationships can be difficult to maintain for people in the spotlight. Both romantic relationships, and genuine, legitimate, real and valuable interpersonal bonds with people who just like you, and aren't there because you're famous. This takes an emotional toll.

-You have a lot of money. You have access to a lot of drugs. Follow the math.

There is always, of course, the "tortured, sensitive artist" persona, but to be honest, many artists are very well-adjusted. One need not be tormented in order to produce "good art." That is something of a cliche.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:59 PM

509 posts, read 484,833 times
Quote:

I don't think the suicide rate is any higher for musicians than it is for anyone else. They just tend to make the news when they happen.

Drugs are a problem for some, but part of the problem is easy access. When you are a well-known musician, people literally bring you drugs all the time, whether you want them or not. Plus, there can be certain amounts of peer pressure, or a belief that drugs improve the creativity process. So a lot of musicians get into drugs who might ordinarily not have.

That said, it has always been said that artists are mad; that notion goes back centuries. It is a gross generalization, but there's also some truth in it. An artist, almost by definition, is a person who has rejected society's lifestyle norms simply by pursuing an art. People who are comfortable in doing that are often people who were different to begin with, for many reasons including depression, mental disorders, personality disorders, or other 'imbalances'. It might even be a prerequisite for creating art, or at least great art.

This probably applies less to musicians and other artists who never transcend the journeyman level, who are more craftsmen than artists. But those who do become stars needed some psychological makeup most people lack to reach that top teir, and fame itself then can further warp their personalities and thinking.

So, I'm gonna say no on the suicide, maybe on the drugs, and probably on mental issues.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post

That said, it has always been said that artists are mad; that notion goes back centuries. It is a gross generalization, but there's also some truth in it. An artist, almost by definition, is a person who has rejected society's lifestyle norms simply by pursuing an art. People who are comfortable in doing that are often people who were different to begin with, for many reasons including depression, mental disorders, personality disorders, or other 'imbalances'. It might even be a prerequisite for creating art, or at least great art.
Even more often, they are and have been the product of a certain degree of privilege, who have the financial freedom and luxury to pursue their art as a career, versus a hobby. Privilege can also factor into relative ability to transcend hardship, cope with stresses, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology