Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Video games are not responsible. Billions of people play video games without killing people.

No, it's not. This is nothing new. School shootings have been happening since the 1700s. Every decade in the 1900s has had multiple school shootings. That's over 100 years of school shootings. It hasn't gotten worse.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What seems to be missing? We know that Mrs. Lanza picked up take out dinner salads three times a week. That's a healthier diet than most Americans. You know nothing about their exercise habits. You know nothing about their medical and mental health histories. And you won't because of HIPPA.
Your link clearly states that shootings sharply rose beginning in the 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 04:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taulery View Post
Good questions, Marilyn220.

Society has much to answer for.

Violent video games are designed by and marketed to white middle to upper class males. Rape and gun and stabbings are popular themes. WHY?

At the time 9-11 hit, our young people signed up to go fight the bad guys. I watched some of the military training videos. The young men said that they got plenty of training for hand to eye coordination and plotting coordinate bomb drops from playing video games. "It's the same skill, but only now, we are plotting to send real bombs..."

Our society is out of control.

Many times it takes a balance of medical teams to evaluate a person's medical/ mental health. Neurology plays a big part in what goes on, so does diet, excercise, as well as mental health. A balanced approach to all-over health is important. That seems to be missing in the Lanza family.
Rape and murder have existed long before video games. Why not accept that within every person there is that animal instinct, and the video games are merely a harmless outlet for our worse animal instincts, which are socially unacceptable in the real world?

They could get the same 'eye-hand coordination' training from playing baseball.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why? What exactly are you trying to figure out?

No, it was a combination of BOTH. The father KNEW this kid was off. The fact that there are news reports of him asking "why?" like everyone else is so phoney. He knows WHY.

Not contradicting myself, because he IS crazy and EVIL. It's always a few weeks of "How can we make sure this never happens again?", then a whole bunch of make "stricter gun laws" and all of this other nonsense.

Well, how about MORE access to MENTAL HEALTH FACILITIES, even if it means being paid for on taxpayer dime?

Also, AGAIN, why are these mass serial killer crazies being born to the "fine upstanding households"?

These are kids who should want for nothing and have the whole world handed to them, but yet they're deranged sociopaths.

With the high crime and gang activity in America's worst neighborhoods - Los Angeles and Chicago - how come THOSE kids aren't shooting up schools en masse like their upper crust counterparts living in the "nice" section of town?

THESE are the questions that really need to be answered.
Mental illness does not play favourites. Rich, poor, great or terrible upbringing, it targets everyone alike. Genetics is one factor but sometimes it seems a combination of other factors.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
There are so many kids with "autism-aspergers" now because of over diagnosis and non-professional diagnosis. A parent reads an article about autism and decides their kid has some of the symptoms and from then on their child is autistic. I know parents like this and the kids they are calling autistic seem perfectly normal to me. I have a feeling the number of kids with true autism-aspergers is much lower. JMO.
Do you really think this is how a child receives an autism diagnosis? Because a parent reads an article and tells the doctor to give him/her the dx? Spoken like someone who has no idea how the process works.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 PM

374 posts, read 759,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
There is medication to help control the voices in his head. If he truly was a skitzo, then his MOTHER is more to blame than anyone else behind the monster she created. Why on earth did have all those weapons in the home?

That's why I say the father knows MORE than he's letting on and his fake "Why?" on how this could happen is falling on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. He needs to be held to task for this. It's just as much his fault as hers. Their son should have been put on a mandatory hold. These people are RICH. They can afford the private mental health facilities that the regular joe cannot.

She may have been in denial of how bad he was and trying to take care of him herself. It seems odd though that the father didn't question where his money was going if Adam wasn't getting any professional help. Their wealth is probably why this happened the way it did--if the family was poor, his mother would have had to work and wouldn't have been able to take care of him at home. He probably would have been put in a group home or some kind of facility in that case.

As to why she had the guns I have no idea. Too much free time on her hands and too much money to spend, JMO.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:01 PM

374 posts, read 759,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you really think this is how a child receives an autism diagnosis? Because a parent reads an article and tells the doctor to give him/her the dx? Spoken like someone who has no idea how the process works.

I think you misunderstand what I said. I think that some parents do not get a diagnosis, but just start telling people their kid has autism. I know some people that do this. As far as how the process works, no I don't know. How does it work?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:15 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
My opinion is he was a sick little creep who was angry at the world and like a true coward struck at those who were the most defenseless. I have Aspergers, BTW, and me and every one of my Aspie friends threw up in their mouths first when this happened and a second time when people started to play "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey" on us Aspies.

We live in a world, especally males, where violence is cool and seductive. Hopefully he's in hell having the worst violence imaginable visited upon him.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
My opinion is he was a sick little creep who was angry at the world and like a true coward struck at those who were the most defenseless. I have Aspergers, BTW, and me and every one of my Aspie friends threw up in their mouths first when this happened and a second time when people started to play "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey" on us Aspies.

We live in a world, especally males, where violence is cool and seductive. Hopefully he's in hell having the worst violence imaginable visited upon him.
That's it. The public just aren't familiar enough with what Asperger's is. The problem of violence is a HUMAN problem, just because we have cellphones and broadband doesn't mean our minds have left the jungle.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Your link clearly states that shootings sharply rose beginning in the 1990s.
It's not significant.

14 in the 40s
20 in the 50s
15 in the 60s
15 in the 70s
20 in the 80s
22 in the 90s
17 in the 2000s

The average of those decades is 17.

If you're going to call the 80s an increase, then then 2000s was a decrease.

The 80s was only 5 more than the 70s. The 2000s was 5 less than the 90s.

My point was that this is nothing new. Things aren't worse. This has always happened.

It can't be blamed on the 24/7 media. It can't be blamed on video games. It can't be blamed on graphic movie content.

None of those things existed in the earlier decades, yet there were many school shootings.

If you think about it, the low decades (40s, 60s, 70s and 2000s) are the decades where the United States was in very long term wars.

Maybe some of the would-be-school-shooters got killed in action those decades.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
She may have been in denial of how bad he was and trying to take care of him herself. It seems odd though that the father didn't question where his money was going if Adam wasn't getting any professional help. Their wealth is probably why this happened the way it did--if the family was poor, his mother would have had to work and wouldn't have been able to take care of him at home. He probably would have been put in a group home or some kind of facility in that case.
What makes you think Adam wasn't getting any professional help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology