Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
RememberMee means drugs prescribed for mental illness, not recreational prescription drugs. Wealthy children tend to receive mental health services more than poor children because wealthy parents can afford them. The wrong medication or the wrong dosage can tip people over the edge. So, getting more mental health treatment might not be the answer since mental health treatment seems to be causing these shootings. Instead of granting more access to mental health services, the government should do something to ensure that the mental health profession improves their performance record.

You seem to have a BIG problem with wealth. All of your current problems would become magnified if you became wealthy. Money doesn't make life better. If you're a miserable and negative person poor, you'll be miserable and negative rich too.
No, my problem isn't with the fact that they are wealthy, but that Adam Lanza was wealthy enough to get access to private mental healthcare before somebody of lower income status would.

There are thousands of poor and middle class parents that cannot get their kids the help they need until they actually HURT someone for the state to take over and get them help. This did not have to happen with Adam. It also did not have to happen with the Batman shooter. I'm sure he didn't just become mentally unbalanced overnight either. You don't get to the point to where he became over a series of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, my problem isn't with the fact that they are wealthy, but that Adam Lanza was wealthy enough to get access to private mental healthcare before somebody of lower income status would.

There are thousands of poor and middle class parents that cannot get their kids the help they need until they actually HURT someone for the state to take over and get them help. This did not have to happen with Adam. It also did not have to happen with the Batman shooter. I'm sure he didn't just become mentally unbalanced overnight either. You don't get to the point to where he became over a series of months.
First, you don't know if Lanza received mental treatment or not. You make a lot of assumptions in this thread, and you completely ignore posts that are logical and founded. Second, most shootings are the result of mental health medication going awry or treatment dropping the ball. It's very possible that we will see an increase in shootings when more people have access to mental health treatment. Psychiatry is a guessing game. They don't really know what they are doing. They just keep prescribing and adjusting drugs until they find something that works. Sometimes nothing works. The Western Psych shooter was being treated for schizophrenia. He showed signs of violence via hitting a police officer with a flashlight and wielding baseball bat in a Pittsburgh hospital just days before the shooting. Nobody locked him up in a mental institution. As a matter of fact, his psychiatrist refused to treat him and told him he was no longer permitted at the hospital because he was threatening. WAKE UP CALL. The patients who don't follow the controlling mental health rules are the ones who need treatment the most but get told they can't get treatment if they don't follow the rules (show up at appointments on time, not threaten staff, etc.) And the Western Psych shooter was from a wealthy family too. His access to mental health treatment didn't help him whatsoever.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,685,507 times
Because he was crazy and crazy people don't need good reasons to do anything.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 PM

868 posts, read 1,118,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Perhaps his parents didn't bother to get him that help? He was only 20. By the time he'd reached adulthood, it was most likely too late anyway and he would not have sought help himself, money or no money.

I agree with you to an extent though. Healthcare here is far too unaffordable, but I feel that the problem is that there's so much repressed anger among many males in this country, more so than elsewhere. Perhaps it's the stigma associated with mental illness, or the fact that males are almost 'conditioned' not to show weakness or emotion? When you throw easy access to weapons into the equation, you have a very deadly mix. It makes me believe that there are a lot of ticking time bombs walking around in the US as we speak.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM

374 posts, read 754,818 times
Quote:
What makes you think Adam wasn't getting any professional help?
It may come out that he was under a doctor's care, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. He may have resisted going to a doctor or been non compliant about medicine.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,406,396 times
I don't care how screwed up he was the only explanation is that he was evil. Pure evil.
I am Christian and I think we are all born from sin stemming from the disobedience that occurred in the garden of eden... believing that allows me to accept the fact that there is good/bad in the world. We are all capable of doing bad things but some people have a perfect storm of issues like Adam and because he has had a pretty "normal" life I believe he was pure evil.
There is no other explanation for what Adam did....he is evil.
I'd rather die than go through what those families are going through...

Old 12-25-2012, 11:07 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You have a major hang-up with Italians. What are YOU?

There was nothing Italian about Adam Lanza, except a last name. In fact, had he been raised in a more interwoven traditional Italian family of yesteryear, the larger support system could have taken some of the edge off, while that's not a guarantee.

His mother, Nancy Lanza, was a WASP, from seeing her picture. She spent some time as a financial adviser or broker for John Hancock securities in Boston who then did the suburban thing in rural Connecticut. She turned her attention to being a homemaker after her divorce from Peter Lanza.

Peter Lanza is an executive of sorts, and lived elsewhere. It is unlikely that he was ever a New York area type of "Guido" who hung around Bensonhurst with his shirt open and a crucifix on a chain.

After the mall shooting during the same week in the West, I have not "educated" myself as to the details of this crime.

Most of the people who have done this sort of thing have historically been WASPs, by the way.
Don't take that post too seriously, Robert. I think they might've been confusing gangster stereotypes, as I've never heard of mass murderers being associated with Italians.

Btw when I think of Lanza I think of the popular singer Mario Lanza from the 50s lol.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:28 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,244,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't take that post too seriously, Robert. I think they might've been confusing gangster stereotypes, as I've never heard of mass murderers being associated with Italians.

Btw when I think of Lanza I think of the popular singer Mario Lanza from the 50s lol.
I don't take it seriously. This character has some weird stuff in his head. If I recall, on another thread, he said something to the tune of Italian women being the least attractive in Europe. It's not like people are validated for IQ, GPA, and mental coherence to be on C-D.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,155,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
I think you misunderstand what I said. I think that some parents do not get a diagnosis, but just start telling people their kid has autism. I know some people that do this. As far as how the process works, no I don't know. How does it work?
For us, it started with our pediatrician. We addressed our concerns to her and she referred us to something called the CATCH team. It's a team of professionals that evaluate your child over a 3-4 hour period of time, convene to discuss results and come up with their diagnosis. I also had second and third opinions given by unrelated professionals. YDS also has an IFSP meeting biannually as well as an IEP meeting annually where goals are evaluated and re-positioned depending on the results of the evaluations and observation in the classroom by paraprofessionals and his teachers.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,155,697 times
Quote:
It's not significant.

14 in the 40s
20 in the 50s
15 in the 60s
15 in the 70s
20 in the 80s
22 in the 90s
17 in the 2000s

The average of those decades is 17.

If you're going to call the 80s an increase, then then 2000s was a decrease.

The 80s was only 5 more than the 70s. The 2000s was 5 less than the 90s.

My point was that this is nothing new. Things aren't worse. This has always happened.

It can't be blamed on the 24/7 media. It can't be blamed on video games. It can't be blamed on graphic movie content.

None of those things existed in the earlier decades, yet there were many school shootings.

If you think about it, the low decades (40s, 60s, 70s and 2000s) are the decades where the United States was in very long term wars.

Maybe some of the would-be-school-shooters got killed in action those decades.
Fair enough. However, there were actually 23 shootings since 2000. Maybe I am mistaken in doing this but I am putting mass and school shootings together. They are really two different things. Adam Lanza engaged in a mass shooting because he had no tie to the school. A school shooting is when someone with ties to a school - parent, teacher, student - does the shooting. IMO, taken together, these shootings have increased.

According to this, A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones, this year does have the highest numbers of shootings. And according to a report by the Washington Post, 6 of the 12 deadliest shootings, Sandy Hook Elementary shooting leaves 28 dead, law enforcement sources say - The Washington Post and Deadliest U.S. shootings - The Washington Post, have occurred since 2007 alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology