Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM

793 posts, read 1,324,155 times

Advertisements

Great minds think alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,464,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Great minds think alike.
Haha yeah!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

793 posts, read 1,324,155 times
^

I think that there are two types of people that drink too much...those that are truly addicted and those that abuse alcohol. Addicts are addicts for life. Abusers can stop.

A lot of people abuse alcohol when they're in their 20's. Those folks usually find it easier to slow down as they get older. They're not necessarily alcoholics. Abusers want alcohol. Alcoholics need it.

That being said, some of us are born with the gene and some folks drink so much that they actually make themselves alcoholics....there will come a time where they cross that invisible line, kinda like we can make ourselves addicted to coffee or cigarettes.

Personally, I'm kind of glad that it's genetic with me because it makes it a black and white issue. There are no gray areas.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,464,654 times
Quote:
^

I think that there are two types of people that drink too much...those that are truly addicted and those that abuse alcohol. Addicts are addicts for life. Abusers can stop.

A lot of people abuse alcohol when they're in their 20's. Those folks usually find it easier to slow down as they get older. They're not necessarily alcoholics. Abusers want alcohol. Alcoholics need it.

That being said, some of us are born with the gene and some folks drink so much that they actually make themselves alcoholics....there will come a time where they cross that invisible line, kinda like we can make ourselves addicted to coffee or cigarettes.

Personally, I'm kind of glad that it's genetic with me because it makes it a black and white issue. There are no gray areas.
Yeah I agree with you. I have my issues. I thought my dad was, but then all of a sudden he stopped drinking on the weekdays and overdoing on the weekends. It's complicated. I think it's best to stay away though - not to mention is has no benefits pretty much.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,000,474 times
No.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM

18,768 posts, read 27,196,342 times
There is no such thing as "moderate and healthy" drinking. Alcohol has no healthy modalities and for what is considered "healthy", better choices are available.
But what it does, is it develops tolerance to alcohol consumption. It may be "moderate" in a particular existence, but, times many of them, that tendency only grows, until the spirit of alcohol possesses that human. Spirit of alcohol is one of the worst enemies of humanity, along with spirit of gain and money. More humans were lost to it, than to any known wars.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,280,404 times
First of all, a real alcoholic shouldn't try drinking "normally". If they're sober, they should let it go at that.

However, sometimes a person is "diagnosed" as an alcoholic based on a quiz in a magazine or by a well-meaning lay person. Or an immature person may be ordered to attend AA meetings by a judge. These people may not really be alcoholics and they should be able to control their drinking once they mature.

Personally, I was the classic immature person with 2 DWI's 360 days apart (at ages 27 and 28) and was ordered to treatment by a judge. I did quit drinking altogether and attended AA meetings for many years, but deep down I knew I was not an alcoholic. I will partake in the champagne toast at a wedding these days and I use wine in recipes sometimes when I cook, but I have no desire to "drink normally" so I decline beer at picnics and wine with dinner and so forth. Of course, that's just me.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,280,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is no such thing as "moderate and healthy" drinking. Alcohol has no healthy modalities and for what is considered "healthy", better choices are available.
I disagree, but as long as you keep your hatchet* to yourself, you are entitled to your opinion.

About 33% of adult Americans don't drink at all (myself included) and a tiny minority who do drink are alcoholics. For most people having a glass of wine with dinner is healthy, and many people (Jews and Catholics for example) drink wine in religious rituals.

*Carrie Nation reference, just a joke and no offense intended.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,923,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is no such thing as "moderate and healthy" drinking....
Nonsense.

There are health benefits to moderate alcohol consumption. And there is a such thing as moderate, non-abusive, non-alcoholic drinking.

Suggestions from the experts vary, but moderate, healthy drinking usually is considered 2-4 standard drinks (5 ounce glass of wine, 1 beer, 1.5 ounces of hard liquor) in a given day for men (and about half that for women), while drinking no more than 5 days per week. I consider full bottle of wine, a six pack of beer, or several ounces of hard liquor - which are all roughly equavelent in alcohol content - to be on the heavy end of healthy drinking. If a person is drinking on the heavy end of healthy drinking nearly every time or every time they drink, they may be on the verge of a problem.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,923,689 times
Quote:
^

What you've said is very interesting. So let me pose this question:

Do you think there are mere 'abusers' who choose to abuse alcohol even if it causes trouble in their life?

Is it possible that a selfish person or person who feels they have nothing to lose might choose the pleasure of abusing alcohol and just pay the price of whatever trouble might result, even if they're not truly an alcoholic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology