Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times

Advertisements

I always suspected that caffeine and nicotine were much more dangerous than how are they perceived in general. Now there's this studies using brain scanners showing that caffeine and nicotine wreck the brain and cause holes due to the lack of oxigenation. The pictures are shocking.

So I wonder, have you noticed it yourself? Do you feel "slower" after a long period of drinking coffee and smoking cigaretes? Do you feel you brain clears up qhen you quit?

Are you wrecking your brain? Chilling pictures reveal shocking effects of alcohol, cigarettes and even caffeine on the mind | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Can you give us a link to those studies?

We certainly all know the many dangers of smoking. One of them is the increased amount of carbon monoxide levels in the cells of a smoker's body. Carbon monoxide destroys cells - especially brain cells. Maybe that's why we smokers are still smoking - we've become too dumb to quit!

I've never heard anything about coffee (caffeine) "wrecking the brain", though. I used to drink gallons of coffee. Now I just have two cups or so in the morning to help me wake up. I'm sleepy all day and get terrible headaches without my coffee fix. I think it makes me smarter, not dumber.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Can you give us a link to those studies?

We certainly all know the many dangers of smoking. One of them is the increased amount of carbon monoxide levels in the cells of a smoker's body. Carbon monoxide destroys cells - especially brain cells. Maybe that's why we smokers are still smoking - we've become too dumb to quit!

I've never heard anything about coffee (caffeine) "wrecking the brain", though. I used to drink gallons of coffee. Now I just have two cups or so in the morning to help me wake up. I'm sleepy all day and get terrible headaches without my coffee fix. I think it makes me smarter, not dumber.

I posted the link, just click on it.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
The whole article is an advertisement for a doctor's book which is soon to be in print This is not a scienticifc study published by any esteemed medical school, but just one person's opinion. etc.

Also, the article is in the the Daily Mail. It's the British version of the National Enquirer or other such ilk.

If you have time on your hands, you can do some reading on the possible positive effects of caffeine on the brain.

Studies highlight positive effects of caffeine on brain health - McKnight's Long Term Care News

Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I haven't looked at the links, but I'm aware of how caffeine and nicotine can progress dementia in people who already have dementia. It has to do with not enough blood flow getting to the brain. It makes perfect sense. I don't think it's likely that it causes dementia though. I just think that people with dementia need to change lifestyles to halt or stall progression, that includes increasing exercise, better diet, and all sorts of things.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,562,983 times
ANY addiction or dependence reduces one's intelligence level.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
I take in way too much caffeine, and probably killing my what is left of my IQ. I would love to kick this bad habit, but it is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology