Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:16 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the older I get and the more negative experiences I have with other people, the less I like people in general. A large portion of the population is rude, stupid, mean, two-faced, petty, and selfish. If you want a loyal friend who treats you right and won't backstab you, get a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,129 times
There are good things and bad things. There are good people and bad people. There are things done right and things done wrong.

That simple.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
As time passes and I continue discovering the evil of humanity as a whole (with the exception of a few people, perhaps not more than 10% of the human population) I fear I may develop a general hatred against humans as a species who is only interested in destroying the planet both physically and spiritually.

I understand that some people are good as I mentioned in another thread, but it's really easy to develop misanthropy reading the news and facing the ugly truth on how evil overcomes good in most humans.

I just read that celebrity sl*t Kim Kardashian is considering getting $16 MILLION for having her stupid pregnancy broadcasted. I mean, how can this not boost misanthropy? Not only she but also those who are willing to give such an amount of money to already rich people?

I mentioned before about the general evil, with examples as

1. Outstanding hypocrisy and fakeness in religious institutions
2. General greed, such as corporations preferring to unemploy people to move overseas and pay a misery to get the most money possible
3. Unfaithfulness and high divorces rates
4. Sexual perversions more common than people imagine
5. Political corruption and mafia
6. Display of human evil from really early ages, proven by the fact of so many cases of school bullying in elementary schools
7. Lack of understanding in family
8. Disloyalty of most friendships today
9. History proves how evil humans are- Crusades, Inquisition, Roman Empire, extinction of indian natives in thr Americas
10. Arrogance and petulance of a lot of people

I just can't see how we even dare to deceive children into believing this is a wonderful world. Because it isn't.

I admit I can overwhelmed too....your list is a good one. It is not a wonderful world. Healthy or not, I continue my lifelong position as a loner, avoiding the toxicity of the world. Just try to keep my own head above water. Those that still claim the world is a great one are wearing those rosy-colored glasses, Pollyannas and just totally unrealistic.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:39 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
As time passes and I continue discovering the evil of humanity as a whole (with the exception of a few people, perhaps not more than 10% of the human population) I fear I may develop a general hatred against humans as a species who is only interested in destroying the planet both physically and spiritually.

I understand that some people are good as I mentioned in another thread, but it's really easy to develop misanthropy reading the news and facing the ugly truth on how evil overcomes good in most humans.

I just read that celebrity sl*t Kim Kardashian is considering getting $16 MILLION for having her stupid pregnancy broadcasted. I mean, how can this not boost misanthropy? Not only she but also those who are willing to give such an amount of money to already rich people?

I mentioned before about the general evil, with examples as

1. Outstanding hypocrisy and fakeness in religious institutions
2. General greed, such as corporations preferring to unemploy people to move overseas and pay a misery to get the most money possible
3. Unfaithfulness and high divorces rates
4. Sexual perversions more common than people imagine
5. Political corruption and mafia
6. Display of human evil from really early ages, proven by the fact of so many cases of school bullying in elementary schools
7. Lack of understanding in family
8. Disloyalty of most friendships today
9. History proves how evil humans are- Crusades, Inquisition, Roman Empire, extinction of indian natives in thr Americas
10. Arrogance and petulance of a lot of people

I just can't see how we even dare to deceive children into believing this is a wonderful world. Because it isn't.
I see you are one of these glass half empty people.

Whether you are religious or not, I suggest you listen to a Joel Osteen speech to maybe help brighten up your outlook. Even if you want to ignore the religious aspect of his talk, he points out how some people are so self absorbed they complain about things like their shoes are so tight, but are not thankful just to have two feet to put those shoes into.

https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/Podcast.aspx

He is also on SirusXM - channel 128

While I am not a follower of his, the few times I have listened to him while scanning through Sirus/XM channels, he has resonated with me on how I look at things. We take much to much for granted, and I know people who are much worse off than most. Thus I count my blessings on a regular basis and try to help others when ever I can. Yet I am pragmatic enough to know compassion has it's limitations. The evil that men do will not end just because some people "pay it forward". But neither is that a reason to not get involved in helping others either.
For example, when beggars ask me for money, I ask them what they need it for. If they say they are hungry, I will not give them money, but instead buy them some food. The reason for this is that many of them are just dopers, smokers, and booze hounds, and I will not contribute to their addictions. However I will never turn down anyone who is hungry, because I am fortunate enough to always have a full belly whenever I please.
So it is important never to lose sight of how fortunate we really are in life, and most people given the proper guidance will do the right thing.

`

Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
I am with you. I have already developed that hatred. I fear about 13 years too early as I have that long before I can retire and become a true misanthrope and get a dog.

Something that I do.. is

1. Try to be less knowledgeable. Stop reading news / watching news / following things. I believe smart phones and social networking have made us that much more connected. And I do believe they try to work us up with inflammatory stories that aren't true. Everything lately is "fake" news.

2. Try to stay away from people. Shop during off hours. Don't get involved in activities. The more you can keep your life stress free and away from people the better.

3. Do try to search out stories of nice people who are not virtue signaling. Invest in social media sites that feature animals or good people. I find the dodo to bring a smile to my face. There are good people and you just have to make an effort to find their stories.

4. Get a dog. iF you can't... get a cat. Their purity and simplicity never fails to bring a smile to my face.

5. Find good movies watch them... make yourself feel happy. Vet the movies first. If there are a lot of reviews on amazon that say there are selfish people in the movie, too much sex, or a dying person... don't watch.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Old thread, but since it's topped...surround yourself with decent people you value and who value you whenever you have the choice to do so.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:42 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I am with you. I have already developed that hatred. I fear about 13 years too early as I have that long before I can retire and become a true misanthrope and get a dog.

Something that I do.. is

1. Try to be less knowledgeable. Stop reading news / watching news / following things. I believe smart phones and social networking have made us that much more connected. And I do believe they try to work us up with inflammatory stories that aren't true. Everything lately is "fake" news.

2. Try to stay away from people. Shop during off hours. Don't get involved in activities. The more you can keep your life stress free and away from people the better.

3. Do try to search out stories of nice people who are not virtue signaling. Invest in social media sites that feature animals or good people. I find the dodo to bring a smile to my face. There are good people and you just have to make an effort to find their stories.

4. Get a dog. iF you can't... get a cat. Their purity and simplicity never fails to bring a smile to my face.

5. Find good movies watch them... make yourself feel happy. Vet the movies first. If there are a lot of reviews on amazon that say there are selfish people in the movie, too much sex, or a dying person... don't watch.
Wow, talk about advice that will deepen the OP's aversion to people, this would certainly push them in that direction.

I will say that what you claim in #1 regarding fake news is more true than many believe;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQcCIzjz9_s

`

Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
The problem isn't with people, and the problem isn't with the world.
The problem is your attachment to the idea that the world should be better than it is.
Let go of your illusion that the world should be good, or better, or anything other than it is.
You go through the world, and you experience what you experience. It is neither good nor bad that anything in particular happened or didn't happen, except what you decide it to be.
This is essentially true. I think we can be forgiven for developing the illusion that life is or should be better than it is. So many of our stories and institutions have a positive bias that it's no wonder that actual life can seem like a let down.

And it's not a blue pill, red pill deal. It's more of a recognition that the blue pill is an aspiration, and one we will likely only approximate.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Not sure if this helps, but here's a nice little tune about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxWe...h8uTK2xAnQK-y3

Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I find it interesting how a couple of very outspoken cynics/misanthropes here, are from the East Coast. Totally reinforces what I've believed since moving across the country to various different cities, heading west from the DC area to Ohio (ugh) then Iowa (meh) then Washington Stage (whoa) then Colorado Springs (whee!)...people just aren't so friendly back east, man.

I've had really negative experiences with people, and really positive ones, too. I think that no one is absolutely good or bad, but if you look for the good in people (generally) you will see more of it, and if you look for the bad, you'll see more of that. Whatever bias you carry is what's going to dominate your experiences and perceptions, because you will always be looking for reinforcement of your own narrative. The more I assume the best, and treat other people with niceness and compassion, the better my experiences with people have been, for the most part.

It's like that one story, "Which wolf wins? The one you feed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology