Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times

Advertisements

I have this dream every so often. I come back from school break and I forget my class schedule and as a result I forget to go to a class. I get to the end of the semester only to learn this, and that I obviously failed the class. I have had dreams where its been a high school teacher with people I've gone to high school with, and also I've had this dream where I am in college. Some dreams I dream that I am printing out my college credit/class list only to have a red mark of a class I missed. I wake up in panic, but then realize that in actuality, I have graduated college years ago and everything is just fine.

Why would I have this on my mind and why would I be dreaming about this, years later? Similar stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
I have these occasionally as well.

I'll either be in High School or College and need to get to class. Weeks will go by then I'm like, "Oh crud. I haven't been going to my French class." I have a schedule or be sitting in class unprepared.

Then most times during these dreams I realize that I'm an adult and proceed not to care.

I think they are just stress dreams. And if you tried hard in school and/or went to college I think our brain tries to find something familiar to work through our waking life's stress.

These dreams aren't too bad. Way better than some of the tooth grinding dreams I've had. (Don't ask).

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
I have had those dreams too along with other odd ones. I think its just dreams and as was said the way for the subconscious to deal with problems we are currently having.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I had that dream for years when I was younger, it's a classic anxiety dream. I've had variations of it as I have gotten older such as being in charge of a conference and realizing the day of the conference that I didn't prepare any guest speakers, any topics for discussion, any written hand-out materials, etc. I think they are fairly normal dreams dealing with subconscious anxiety/stress.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Why would I have this on my mind and why would I be dreaming about this, years later? Similar stories?
Yes.

After being out of school for a WHILE, I periodically have a dream where I am either late for a test or missed one altogether.

The thing is that I've NEVER missed or been late to a test in my life, and I may have taken 1 or 2 slightly ill. The only altercation I've had is when I was a T.A. and had my own test to proctor and could not find a substitute, and one of the douche bag profs hemmed and hawed about giving me a test in a different time slot. He ultimately accommodated this entirely legitimate excuse.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have had those dreams too along with other odd ones. I think its just dreams and as was said the way for the subconscious to deal with problems we are currently having.
I've heard that, too.

I've also heard that dreams are just one's brain "coasting in neutral," verbatim.

I don't know why I have the missed/late for exam dream when it's not even something I've experienced.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've heard that, too.

I've also heard that dreams are just one's brain "coasting in neutral," verbatim.

I don't know why I have the missed/late for exam dream when it's not even something I've experienced.
More then likely its a mixture of both. I have some dreams I know was related to my stress and some where I just laugh and think where did that come from. I, also, was never late or missed a test unless you count grade school.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Thought I was the only one with dreams like this. Mine entail one missing class in junior high or high school that I have to make up despite the fact that I am middle aged and the oldest kid in the class now. Somehow there is logic that because I missed this class it puts my college degree in jeopardy and without my college degree it puts my job in limbo.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I think the whole purpose of school is to instill in us a lifelong guilt pathology about missing school. I regularly have the one where I have an important exam, but I've been to class so few times, I can't even recall what room I have to go to for the exam. At least, I always have pants on, I don't have that morbidity. In reall life, my 60th class reunion is coming up, so you can see how long Ive been carrying this around in my subconscious.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think the whole purpose of school is to instill in us a lifelong guilt pathology about missing school. I regularly have the one where I have an important exam, but I've been to class so few times, I can't even recall what room I have to go to for the exam. At least, I always have pants on, I don't have that morbidity. In reall life, my 60th class reunion is coming up, so you can see how long Ive been carrying this around in my subconscious.
LOL.

This is how some of my dreams play out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology