Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,026,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Out of curiosity, what culture is this person from? There are some cultures where people make excuses for other people. I've noticed it specifically in Pakistani women. I'm sure it exists in other cultures where women are supposed to be submissive. It's like they were trained to be that way.
Actually this trait is in indian women AND men as well. They have a very "hold their ground" peacefully until you go away approach to conflicts. They also don't care if anything train wrecks either. I see this as one of the fundamental reasons they tend to be poor... They do not resolve conflicts and tend to let things train wreck.

I would say the main reason indian / pakistani people have this trait is actually because they are heavy group think type people and this happens to be a cultural trait of theirs. However the reason they haven't culturally matured out of this is because they don't yet see the value and necessity of resolving conflicts (especially petty ones).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,893,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Actually this trait is in indian women AND men as well. They have a very "hold their ground" peacefully until you go away approach to conflicts. They also don't care if anything train wrecks either. I see this as one of the fundamental reasons they tend to be poor... They do not resolve conflicts and tend to let things train wreck.

I would say the main reason indian / pakistani people have this trait is actually because they are heavy group think type people and this happens to be a cultural trait of theirs. However the reason they haven't culturally matured out of this is because they don't yet see the value and necessity of resolving conflicts (especially petty ones).
That's fascinating. Really, it truly is. I wonder if they feel anxiety when faced with a conflict, like people who are avoidant.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,624,240 times
I think this might be better in the relationships forum. I wouldn't be too interested in trying to stick a diagnosis on a person. I think the bigger question is that if you are in a relationship with a person who acts like this, is it causing you problems and how should you deal with it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,893,004 times
I'm actually interested in it from a psychology standpoint. I know someone very close to me who is afraid to resolve conflict. I'm trying to figure out how I can help that person learn how to do it in a healthy manner. But it's not something I need to learn how to deal with it because this person doesn't have a problem resolving conflict with me or the immediate family. The challenge is in almost all situations outside of the family. MikeNigh's description about train wrecks and poverty concerns me. I wish a better future for this person than that. This person will not go to therapy, so that's not an option. As a result, I've been the resident therapist for quite a few years. We've made amazing progress in many areas throughout the years. But maybe I should start another thread because I don't have a problem with this person, I'm merely worried and concerned and need help figuring out how to help the person progress to resolving conflict in a healthy manner. Avoiding isn't working and causes more distress for this person. Hmmmmm........

Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,970,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But maybe I should start another thread because I don't have a problem with this person, I'm merely worried and concerned and need help figuring out how to help the person progress to resolving conflict in a healthy manner. Avoiding isn't working and causes more distress for this person. Hmmmmm........

Start the thread, I'll see what I can do.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,717,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The whole mantra seems to be avoiding the unpleasant:
- changing the subject
- ignoring the obvious
- minimalizing / deflecting
- "oh, that happened, or is happening, to (name of person), too"
- unable to say something bad about someone
- changing facts/white lies

What's the deal here? What does this result from?
I'll guess unusually high anxiety level. I 've had abnormally high anxiety since age 1 if not time of birth. I think I have autism, which 1 popular internet doctor believes is caused by all the vaccinations forced on babies by age 1.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,822,237 times
Quote:
- changing the subject
- ignoring the obvious

Why? Are you asking about yourself? or someone else?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,328,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Why? Are you asking about yourself? or someone else?
Definitely NOT me. Someone else.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,836,563 times
Quote:
- changing the subject
- ignoring the obvious

It sounds like you are describing someone who is defending (to the core) someone or a situation that is bad for that person? Are you trying to assist this person to see that someone or something is bad for them and their life? If so, it could be as simple as deep defenses in place. The person or situation they defend somehow is giving this person you describe some form of security, even if it is skewed security.

It kind of sounds like you are describing someone who enables/protects an addict or abusive family member?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM

23 posts, read 42,667 times
Here we go again.

Lets label someone as being weird, or crazy, or off, than advertise it to the world. After all, you are better than that person, right? Lets find a "diagnosis"for that person.

I think you might be over thinking things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology