Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
You just had to bring up being picked last for sports, didn't ya. Why stop there? Go ahead and pour a little more of that tear inducing , soul stinging salt into a man's non-healing wounds; and please don't forget to mention how he had to take his cousin to the prom! Go right ahead, Mr.Khan.....if that even is your real last name(rolls eyes).
LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
people that don't appreciate sarcasm are likley self-loathing, hate their mother and were picked last for sports.
I've actually found that those that engage in sarcasm were outcasts and bullied in high school and use it as a defensive mechanism when maybe there really is something wrong with them they need to address to become a more productive member of society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
That's what I was thinking at first. Now I too am blown away by his not knowing what sarcasim is. For the record:

sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uh m] - Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

The humor in sarcasm is the use of irony; the affect on the situation or the person it is used with often have little to do with the sarcastic remark. It isn't a personal jab so to speak, rather an observation of the situation at hand and its inherent contradictions...often missed by people with lower intelligence. Which is why they are the ones often offended.

A good example would be British culture, they are very good at this.
This just proves my point, the other person gets offended so they have the problem instead of the sarcastic person looking in the mirror.

Last edited by Ro2113; 01-15-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
An example of sarcasm which requires no intelligence. Someone's at a party they can't wait to leave and comment, 'this is SO much fun.'

More creative sarcasm. 'I think Justin Bieber's music is really quality, he could have a cuter face though.'
Thank you. I know the difference between lame sarcasm and good sarcasm. As I said, it requires a bit of intelligence to be creatively sarcastic.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Takes more intelligence to be witty without cutting. Well perhaps it is the base nature of a person whether they elect to be humorous by selecting sarcasm or a different manner of delivery.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I've actually found that those that engage in sarcasm were outcasts and bullied in high school and use it as a defensive mechanism when maybe there really is something wrong with them they need to address to become a more productive member of society.
Wow! Look at you being direct and blunt to prove a point instead of being tactful!

According to your previous post (below), that means you are no different than people who are sarcastic, except you're a hypocrite too.

Quote:
My stance, maybe the sarcastic person should reevaluate their behavior before claiming the problem is with someone else. This type of thinking is similar to those who pride themselves to being as blunt as possible without using tact. even though sarcasm and bluntness are different in this case they are used to insult people under the guise of trying to be funny (sarcasm) or trying to prove a point (bluntness). If a sarcastic or blunt person feels there's nothing wrong with themselves then they should simply avoid people who don't (or like) sarcasm and want to be spoken to tactfully.
What a quandary! Inquiring minds want to know how you avoid yourself?

Quote:
This just proves my point, the other person gets offended so they have the problem instead of the sarcastic person looking in the mirror.
Yet lower intelligence is a significant factor nonetheless.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Quote:
Thank you Dr. Oz. When you're finished with Dorothy and Toto, can you please instruct me on how to put my Ikea desk together?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
The worst was when my girlfriend told me to stop making sarcastic love to her. That one hurt, really deep down.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Thank you Dr. Oz. When you're finished with Dorothy and Toto, can you please instruct me on how to put my Ikea desk together?
He'd probably tell you to go find a swedish carpenter, or something witty like that.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! Look at you being direct and blunt to prove a point instead of being tactful!

According to your previous post (below), that means you are no different than people who are sarcastic, except you're a hypocrite too.
And how do you know I wasn't being sarcastic?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
And how do you know I wasn't being sarcastic?
That's irrelevant because it wouldn't change anything I posted about being a hypocrite.

Do you realize that you are continually validating the premise of the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology