Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times

Advertisements

This probably affects everyone but it seems to affect me more than others.

I can endure pain fine. But ask me to do anything that requires even moderate thinking or metal exertion afterwards and it becomes a great chore.

By pain, I mean pain suffered from everyday injuries, not serious injuries or pain from chronic illnesses.

It seems pain tends to consume a disproportionate amount of my attention. If everyone has about 7-10 "units" of attention, being in pain reduces those units in half for me.

For me, doing any thinking while in pain is like trying to work a math problem while listening to 2 different songs in each earphone.. the constant mental distraction vastly ramps up the difficulty of maintaining concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
It depends on what kind of pain, the intensity and the level of question one is trying to ask me.

If I have a bad headache, most times I'm insufferable. Any question is a bad one.

If my shins hurt from over-exertion from the day before, I'd probably still be able to hold a relatively deep conversation.

If I immediately stub my toe why are you asking me a question in the first place?

So are you talking about immediate injuries? Getting a cut on the hand? Stubbed toe? Hitting your head under a table? Because any time thereafter you're not going to be in the mood to answer questions. It's your body's natural response to "assessing the situation," and usually that takes precedence over your other modes of thinking.

The below example is kinda graphic:

Spoiler
When I injured my arm at work by slicing it open on the edge of a sharp piece of aluminum, I thought..."Oh that hurt, but it feels like when a dog scratches you and leaves a welt, or a long raised bump..." When I looked down, my arm was open with a cut about three inches long. It was bleeding, and I thought "Oh no!" because it was by and on my vein (where people commit suicide)...

Although I'm otherwise very squeamish about these sorts of things, I went into a "mode." I put pressure on my arm, found the closest person I could and we went over to the urgent care. It ended up not being on the vein and I didn't even need stitches because it was a 'clean' cut.

In any case, I think there's even certain levels of pain. Anything over that threshold and it all feels the same. The duration is what 'kills' you. After it was bandaged up, for the next few weeks I had a pulsing pain in that arm until it was healed.

So the above is just an example of how I think we focus on the different types of pain for a reason. We focus on it, to remind ourselves, "Let's not do this again." And in "serious" injuries, our body recognizes that and basically "tells" us what to do; so we should listen.

Yes, you the OP might have different pain tolerances than others, but I'd think most of us are around the same.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Some people are more sensitive to pain than others.

For example a neighbor of mine had ALL his teeth pulled so he could get dentures. They gave him pain medicine, but he never took one pill! (Pull just one tooth from my mouth and I will many times need pain medicine for a day or two. One time it hurt for a week!)

Anyway I don't know what to recommend. Maybe see if over the counter pain medicines work. I like to read books and can't concentrate very well when taking narcotic pain medicine. Can't drive, etc. So I wouldn't want to be on those a lot of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology