Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 PM

518 posts, read 1,004,335 times

Advertisements

Studies have shown that people need and crave being touched more than they desire sex, money or social status. Basic physical (non-sexual) affection such as holding hands, getting a massage, being caressed and getting hugged are very important to our species and sometimes, people who go without being touched in an affectionate way for long periods of time often become depressed, they lose their interest in daily life activities and tend to isolate themselves from people. I've seen some people who have experienced this firsthand, and, it's quite sad. Sometimes, even when people find themselves without a significant other, they at least still have family and friends who do show them physical affection. But, there are so many people who really have no one that touches them on a regular or even on an occasional basis; these people are totally devoid of affectionate physical contact from anyone.

Some may not think it's as important as other aspects of life, a friendship or a relationship while others might think it's one of the most important things to have in their life. I personally find touch to be an integral part of my daily life; I know I couldn't go too long without being touched in an affectionate way! I feel that it would affect my moods and certain aspects of my personality and the way I view the world (and probably myself).

How important do you think touch is in your life and with people in general?

Last edited by RedZin; 01-24-2013 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Removed pic/copyright
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
I believe this but some people don't recognize it as such and instead say that they are sex-starved.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM

518 posts, read 1,004,335 times
This is true, Srjth. Sometimes, people who don't get regular physical affection seek it out by having a lot of sex with one or multiple partners to make up for what they're not getting; then they find out that a lot of times, it still doesn't satisfy their yearning to be hugged or caressed. Pleasant non-sexual physical affection makes people feel that they're loved enough and/or cared about enough or liked enough to be touched. It's almost an indescribable feeling to be hugged, caressed or have your hand held by someone who values you and cares about you as a person; it's a wonderful feeling!

I think this is why massage services (NOT massage parlors who offer sexual touch) are so popular nowadays. For people who don't get touched regularly, having consistent massages by a stranger offers them the pleasant sensations of being touched without having to seek it out or receive it from other people in general.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
I know. I am a Masseuse and I've seen what it does to people. I've had people start crying on the table because it can be emotionally cathartic for "pent up" people who are unknowingly craving touch.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,754 times
This is why, when i save up enough money to pay for a woman, it will be a full-fledged Girlfriend Experience rather than just a regular prostitute. I crave the softness of a woman's skin... her hand touching my face, hugging, cuddling, massaging, hand-holding. i think all these affectionate non-sexual touches are very good for relieving stress.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
This reminds me of Japanese culture. It's a very non-touchy culture. Friends greet each other by bowing, even a husband and wife will seldom show affection to each other outside of the sexual act. Parents often do not hug or kiss their children. I wonder if this has anything to do with their problems of social isolation? Or sexual perversions?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post
Studies have shown that people need and crave being touched more than they desire sex, money or social status. Basic physical (non-sexual) affection such as holding hands, getting a massage, being caressed and getting hugged are very important to our species and sometimes, people who go without being touched in an affectionate way for long periods of time often become depressed, they lose their interest in daily life activities and tend to isolate themselves from people. I've seen some people who have experienced this firsthand, and, it's quite sad. Sometimes, even when people find themselves without a significant other, they at least still have family and friends who do show them physical affection. But, there are so many people who really have no one that touches them on a regular or even on an occasional basis; these people are totally devoid of affectionate physical contact from anyone.

Some may not think it's as important as other aspects of life, a friendship or a relationship while others might think it's one of the most important things to have in their life. I personally find touch to be an integral part of my daily life; I know I couldn't go too long without being touched in an affectionate way! I feel that it would affect my moods and certain aspects of my personality and the way I view the world (and probably myself).

How important do you think touch is in your life and with people in general?

I'm very affectionate with my S/O. However, some people don't like to be touched, period. I think it's important. Humans aren't robots.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 AM

438 posts, read 660,450 times
I don't have someone to cuddle. I miss that very much. I do get massage which is very important to me.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
I almost never have any sort of physical contact with others. I've gone for years at a time where the only person I even hugged would be my mother at Christmas. And at least some of it is voluntary. I've never been an even remotely physical person. In the past, I've even noticed that occasionally when someone would hug me, I could feel myself (subtly) trying to pull away without even thinking about it. It's almost like my instinct was to stop being touched as quickly as possible, even though my actual thought process was nothing like that.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
...It's almost like my instinct was to stop being touched as quickly as possible, even though my actual thought process was nothing like that.
I kind of wonder if some of these differences in people might be genetic? Survival of the species!

Like before we had modern medical science, things like the plague would wipe out millions of people. What if everyone regularly went around touching other people? Then everyone would be wiped out!

But with some people not wanting to touch others, they might never get certain communicable diseases and assure survival of the human race!

So it might be intentional (so far as mother nature is concerned) that not everybody is exactly the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology