Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
 
2,135 posts, read 4,264,036 times
Reputation: 1688

Advertisements

Well I don't know which subforum to put this under, but I figured it is a mindset so perhaps here.

I think life and everything that comes along with it is amazing. Nothing is stopping me from making 200k a year or a piddly 15k a year except me! Even if your just getting by you can learn from books, or internet, or be an apprentice. There is no reason why I can't live in a 1 mil house if I put effort into what I do. If I want to make 30k a year...fine. if I want to make more I can do that. I live by my rules and my will to learn and do what I want.

That is what is so amazing and wonderful about life. I can pretty much achieve whatever I want. if I want to be a plumber and an electrician...I can do both! No laws against that. Right now I'm learning to fix computers and computer related things. Just because I want to.

Also earth is amazing to enjoy. Soo much wilderness to explore and just be around. A few months back the gf and I were walking on a wilderness trail and saw wild turkeys! Wild turkeys in ohio....never knew.

I live everyday to the fullest. I'm always smiling. Work is work...boring. I try and break the day down between breaks. Ill look at the time and tell myself that I have only hour and 15 minutes till break, etc.

Is this too much optimism? Anyone else feel that life can be great. There was a thread recently asking "How is your life" or something to that effect. I couldn't believe there was sooo much misery. There was probably 5 people who enjoyed life and what can become of it out of many many posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
5,344 posts, read 3,846,992 times
Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Well I don't know which subforum to put this under, but I figured it is a mindset so perhaps here.

I think life and everything that comes along with it is amazing. Nothing is stopping me from making 200k a year or a piddly 15k a year except me! Even if your just getting by you can learn from books, or internet, or be an apprentice. There is no reason why I can't live in a 1 mil house if I put effort into what I do. If I want to make 30k a year...fine. if I want to make more I can do that. I live by my rules and my will to learn and do what I want.

That is what is so amazing and wonderful about life. I can pretty much achieve whatever I want. if I want to be a plumber and an electrician...I can do both! No laws against that. Right now I'm learning to fix computers and computer related things. Just because I want to.

Also earth is amazing to enjoy. Soo much wilderness to explore and just be around. A few months back the gf and I were walking on a wilderness trail and saw wild turkeys! Wild turkeys in ohio....never knew.

I live everyday to the fullest. I'm always smiling. Work is work...boring. I try and break the day down between breaks. Ill look at the time and tell myself that I have only hour and 15 minutes till break, etc.

Is this too much optimism? Anyone else feel that life can be great. There was a thread recently asking "How is your life" or something to that effect. I couldn't believe there was sooo much misery. There was probably 5 people who enjoyed life and what can become of it out of many many posters.
get back to me when you're actually making 200k per.

Why is income the ultimate gauge with all my idiot fellow Americans? Ah, capitalist brainwashing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
 
2,135 posts, read 4,264,036 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
get back to me when you're actually making 200k per.

Why is income the ultimate gauge with all my idiot fellow Americans? Ah, capitalist brainwashing
It doesn't matter how much I make. I can make 200k or 15k...it is my decision. Or I could buy a boat and sail the deep blue seas and never have to get on a forum and listen to people like you. That is what I'm saying...I can choose to do what I want. That in itself is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 14,985,517 times
Reputation: 12529
Around 25 years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
 
2,079 posts, read 3,199,054 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Is this too much optimism?
yes, although i applaud it.

people are miserable. up until recently, i found out that many people are more depressed than i am, and that i am not even moderately depressed. hell, i was borderline suicidal throughout my teenage years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
 
2,135 posts, read 4,264,036 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Around 25 years old?
Close...23.

Doesn matter though if I'm 23, 53, or even 83. The one thing we all have in common is time. There is 24 hours in a day. How you choose to spend those 24 hours is up to you. If you want to play WOW for 9 hours a day...fine. If you want to go to school or learn a new skill set I can do that too. It is all aout choices. You can choose to live like a poor serf or you can choose to do something with your life.

Time doesn't discriminate. Again....that is amazing that I can play WOW for 9 hours or I can learn something new all in a single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM
 
4,761 posts, read 14,241,986 times
Reputation: 7956
I feel the same. Life IS wonderful!

Another thing which is cool is growing older. I changed as I've grown older and then had new interests. One change is gaining patience and wanting to settle down with older age. I no longer wanted to move around and "see the world", but wanted to stay put in one place. A different "life" for me.

I did things when older like spending a year learning to program a microcontroller - made my own IR remote control (LOTS of reading and learning). And I took up the game of pool / billiards. That game looks simple if you just walk by a table, however it is actually "multi-dimensional" and limitless as to what can be learned. It is actually sort of a scientific thing, with new things being learned recently, along with high speed video cameras and physics types. You can spend a lifetime learning that game and still not know everything!*

Anyway I was quite adventurous when younger and had lots of fun. Then slowed down and "stopped to smell the roses" when older and have been having lots of fun.

*For pool, you can do stuff like this...
http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/NV4-3.htm

http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/NV4-6.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 14,985,517 times
Reputation: 12529
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I can play WOW for 9 hours or I can learn something new all in a single day.
Sure, if parents are playing the bill for the internet, school, etc., or you are independently wealthy, or have no children or responsibilities that infringe on gaming time.

Choices are dependent on situation. Yours sounds cushy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
 
2,135 posts, read 4,264,036 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sure, if parents are playing the bill for the internet, school, etc., or you are independently wealthy, or have no children or responsibilities that infringe on gaming time.

Choices are dependent on situation. Yours sounds cushy.
Love it when people assume. People usually assume when things aren't going too well for them.

My parents were poor and I turned out well. No kids, but I'm not making 100k a year. We make less than 50k for our household. Living paycheck to paycheck, but I still think life is amazing and all it has to offer.

You don't have to be making bank or have your parents taking care of you to see how this world can offer everything I want or need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
 
766 posts, read 1,390,680 times
Reputation: 1429
You *think* you have freedoms, until you actually start paying attention to history, gov, politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top