Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I do. I like being in control and making sure everything goes right. I know logically I can't alway make that happen, but I try to do what I can realistically. When I know of a potential problem, and know there isn't much I can do to prevent it, it does make me a little anxious. Nothing too bad but I definitely give it more headspace than I should.

Nothing earthshattering or important at all but there is a situation at my work that I know is going to be a bit of a problem this weekend because I went "looking ahead". There is nothing I can do about it, and it's within other peoples authority to deal with it when it happens, not mine. But I've thought about it A LOT the last few days and I'm curious to see how it all plays out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Try some anxiety reduction exercises to see if they will help. Just do a Google keyword search using the words: exercises anxiety reduction

Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but the best cure I found for anxiety is:

1) If something is causing the anxiety, then do something about it!

2) If you can't do something about it, then forget it! Otherwise, the anxiety will sap your psyche and confidence and spill over to the rest of your life!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
Right. I guess it does make me a little nervous when I do see things that are out of my control at work. I just need to work on not worrying about it. Not looking at the stats screen, is a good start.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I can't really come up with a better title, but here is the scoop. I've always had a worrying fear or anxiety over things I can't control. Not major things, but for example, while working in call centers, I'd look to see how many calls were holding. I can't do anything about that. When I worked as a baggage handler at an airline, I would go online before my shift to see if the planes were running late. Sometimes if plane A was running an hr behind and plane B was on time, it would result in both planes arriving at the time, thus splitting the crew in two. Again, not like I could do anything about it. This goes back even further when I was a Flight Attedant where I would, again, go to the company website to see how many passengers I'd have.

Does anyone else have any issues similar to this? I know I have NO control over any of this (how busy a day will be, how many calls are holding, the schedule of the planes, number of bags, number of passengers etc etc), but I can't help but always "look".
Do your managers really care about your quality of work? I noticed customer service has been in decline recently. Just do what you can do I guess. Don't think too much.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
If you could focus only on the call you are on, rather than continuing to look at all the calls waiting you would feel less anxious. I am not a call center empoyee, but I did do a short stint during a holiday once. As I recall, there are many folks taking the cals, and it is more likely that someone else will be assisting those other callers as their lines free up, true?
So, in a sense, it is like the airport, there is a line of defense for the backed up calls. Try to focus on each call, and distract yourself with the caller at hand, simplify at least that part of your anxiety.
Also, on a more positive note...you may be very good at your job, so chances are the others that control calls are forwarding perhaps more callers to you..Could that be it too? I hope you can take some pressure off yourself and put this is a more positive perspective. Good luck to you.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I can't really come up with a better title, but here is the scoop. I've always had a worrying fear or anxiety over things I can't control. Not major things, but for example, while working in call centers, I'd look to see how many calls were holding. I can't do anything about that. When I worked as a baggage handler at an airline, I would go online before my shift to see if the planes were running late. Sometimes if plane A was running an hr behind and plane B was on time, it would result in both planes arriving at the time, thus splitting the crew in two. Again, not like I could do anything about it. This goes back even further when I was a Flight Attedant where I would, again, go to the company website to see how many passengers I'd have.

Does anyone else have any issues similar to this? I know I have NO control over any of this (how busy a day will be, how many calls are holding, the schedule of the planes, number of bags, number of passengers etc etc), but I can't help but always "look".
On a positive note, you are thorough, which is always a great quality to have. I tend to be the opposite and aren't always aware of all the little details, and I wish I could be more attentive, but you're gift is, you are able to structure and priotize for efficiency (I'm guessing)..

If you're asking about how to manage your anxiety, perhaps you can take time off during the day to do little things for yourself such as:

-A relaxing bubble bath
-Giving yourself 5 minutes to do deep breathing and mental visualizations of peaceful settings
-Providing positive feedback for yourself
-Reminding yourself of your ideal outcome in light of whatever fears you in that moment

Whatever you do, remember a situation in which what you feared most wasn't actually the outcome but just your anxiety talking and maybe you can tame it by assuring yourself if you've succeeded once, you'll succeed twice. If you succeeded again, you will succeed once more.

Look for your strengths, instead.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
Thanks. I think part of the issue is the tv screen is right in front of me, although there are several in the building. As a habbit, I always peak at the screen when I'm entering the building for the first time for the day, even though as a rule I arrive about 20 minutes early and anything (both a jump in call volume or it could settle down) by the time i punch in. No, I don't think the company cares about how many calls are holding, and let's face it, I don't think the callers do, either. Yes, its nice to get right through but in a very large company you could be sitting on hold for a little bit. Just think about getting through to an airline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology