Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Being good-looking has nothing to do with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Depression is a brain chemistry problem. Anyone can fall into depression. It has nothing to do with how gorgeous you are or arent, how rich or poor you are, how well liked you may or may not be.

In addition, the medication a person takes - to correct that depression - may or may not trigger other brain chemistry problems. Some people self-medicate (alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin) in addition to (or instead of) prescription drugs, and this can also alter brain chemistry.

There is no more mystery about this girl's suicide than anyone else's. People who feel they cannot deal with living make a decision to end their lives.

If you suspect someone is hopeless or if they talk about "ending it all," believe them and help them find a mental health provider who can evaluate them - and assist them with therapy and/or meds.

The group most likely to kill themselves are people 35 and under.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 16,168 times
Quote:
why? if you look at the article she had more then just her looks going on for her, she had her own business, just graduated, etc. i just don't understand the why? suicuide. come on !!!!!!between me and you i could have fixed all her problems - with just one name ---------jesus
Oh, ew. This is a really presumptuous thing of you to say, O.P. If that woman had been like me in the fact that I don't believe in Jesus, then your "solution" would not have worked and her problems would not have been any closer to being solved. Sorry.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Very, very sad, but the OP suggests that good-looking people somehow don't have problems?

and if she was a fat pig it would be somehow less tragic?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
There is a good book, based on solid research, that answers this very question - Why People Die By Suicide

from the summary on amazon: "Among the many people who have considered, attempted, or died by suicide, he finds three factors that mark those most at risk of death: the feeling of being a burden on loved ones; the sense of isolation; and, chillingly, the learned ability to hurt oneself."

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
am a good looking person. i just don't understand? the bible said to seek understanding.

why? if you look at the article she had more then just her looks going on for her, she had her own business, just graduated, etc. i just don't understand the why? suicuide. come on !!!!!!between me and you i could have fixed all her problems - with just one name ---------jesus

I know ugly people have problems too.
When I was reading where you said YOU could have fixed all her problems, I wasn't expecting you to say Jesus as how.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM

24,483 posts, read 17,220,223 times
As if she was ugly it would be any less of a tragedy?
We all have our demons ot bear and sometimes when the going gets really rough it is very easy to listen to them.
Years ago We had a client that seemed happily married, 2 young kids, successful, one day he was going over the same bridge stopped his car in traffic, got out and without hesitating jumped. It was shocking.
You never know what people are dealing with but imagine that feeling. You are standing at the edge a voice is telling you to jump and you the split second you do you realise you have just made the biggest mistake in your life.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

The group most likely to kill themselves are people 35 and under.
That's not true.

Up until 2003 the 65 + group had the highest suicide rate, but that rate has been declining.

More recently the 25 to 64 year age group has had the highest suicide rate, and within that group the highest rate of suicide is the 45 to 54 year olds and the lowest is the 25 to 34 year olds.

CDC - Trends Both Sexes By Age - Statistics - Suicide - Violence Prevention - Injury

Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I just read some of the articles on this young woman, and frankly, she sounded like an immature a-hole. I don't feel particularly bad about this anymore.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM

657 posts, read 716,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
There is a good book, based on solid research, that answers this very question - Why People Die By Suicide

from the summary on amazon: "Among the many people who have considered, attempted, or died by suicide, he finds three factors that mark those most at risk of death: the feeling of being a burden on loved ones; the sense of isolation; and, chillingly, the learned ability to hurt oneself."

interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology