Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM

657 posts, read 716,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I will turn the tables a bit on this discussion and share a personal experience.

I am generally considered to be an attractive and "put together" woman but I have struggled with depression since childhood (which was extremely traumatic, but that is a topic for another thread.) Years ago, I didn't have insurance and I needed meds to control my depression. I lived in a major city with a public health center that was supposed to help the uninsured.

Through great effort one day, I dragged myself out of bed and got dressed and headed down to my appointment. I spoke to a social worker who was the first step in getting my meds. He gave me a long (leering) once over and proclaimed "you sure don't LOOK like you have ANYTHING wrong with you!" and proceeded to minimize everything I said. I finally got a RX for a drug I had already tried and did not work on me. When I protested back to the social worker, he said if I wanted to "get together for dinner" he might be able to help.

Of course, I reported this. But I still didn't have my meds and almost lost my job when I became so depressed I couldn't leave the house. Appearances can be decieving. Being attractive is not an answer to most of life's problems. I have no clue why people think it is.
depression is hard. and it effects has no color lines or boundaries. am sorry this happen to u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Because depression doesn't discriminate with who it affects, attractive or not. The social worker who told you that should have been struck off.

I think the main problem some people have with this thread is that the OP had to point out that a "beautiful" woman committed suicide. Her looks had nothing to do with it, although it also adds fuel to the fire that people value physical appearance far too highly, because if it'd been some ugly/average looking person, few people would have batted an eyelid. That's how shallow the human race is.
her life was beauitful not her face or anything esle ................

Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
a beautiful women 22 year old jump off the G W bridge. how is it that you can look so perfect and make such horrible decision? and every one that needs to die keeps going strong.
What does beauty have to do with being suicidal?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

her life !!!! all life is precious to god..............

her life (not her face from the article you can hardly see her)

HER LIFE !!!!!! HER LIFE!!!!!!!!!! ALREADY

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM

924 posts, read 1,644,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
her life !!!! all life is precious to god..............

her life (not her face from the article you can hardly see her)

HER LIFE !!!!!! HER LIFE!!!!!!!!!! ALREADY
Her face is the only reason this is a news story. Many people commit suicide every day, why did you choose this one to make a thread about?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Her face is the only reason this is a news story. Many people commit suicide every day, why did you choose this one to make a thread about?

HER LIFE

i was sad that a 22 year die having life ahead of her

her life, her life

Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Are people somehow under the impression that attractive looking people are successful and have everything going well in their life? People, no matter how they appear are all people, and they all experience the same problems and emotions. Just because she was attractive looking does not mean she was well off, does not mean her life was in order, does not mean she was married or had a close boyfriend, and it most certainly DOES NOT mean she was happy.

The real tragedy here is not that a beautiful woman was lost, it's that a person felt the need to take their own life and they succeeded. She could have been a great product to society, but through her own internal demons that she fought with, she eventually lost this battle by taking her own life.

I'm curious to find the reason why she was compelled to commit suicide, where was her family, where were her friends, why could she not go to them, and how can we prevent more people from doing this.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

I'm curious to find the reason why she was compelled to commit suicide, where was her family, where were her friends, why could she not go to them, and how can we prevent more people from doing this.
Not everyone has supportive family and friends. In fact, a lot of people don't.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Are people somehow under the impression that attractive looking people are successful and have everything going well in their life? People, no matter how they appear are all people, and they all experience the same problems and emotions. Just because she was attractive looking does not mean she was well off, does not mean her life was in order, does not mean she was married or had a close boyfriend, and it most certainly DOES NOT mean she was happy.

The real tragedy here is not that a beautiful woman was lost, it's that a person felt the need to take their own life and they succeeded. She could have been a great product to society, but through her own internal demons that she fought with, she eventually lost this battle by taking her own life.

Apparently, people do think that if you are above average in looks, everything else will just fall into place. Not only is that patently false, it sets up a situation in which the expectations that a physically good looking person will always be healthy and happy. That is simpleminded to the point of idiocy.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
unfortunately, the more beautiful a women is, the more dishonest people lie to her to get close to her and it happens to them all the time....nice men fear beautiful women...and fear asking them out....for the most part, beautiful women have a whole lot of self esteem problems, due to all the vultures lieing to them....and it scars them forever....
it is most unfortunate and tragic, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology