Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

I, too, use TracySam's definition of introversion: time with others depletes me, while time alone fills me up. And in that case, I am certainly an introvert. I have, however, no problem meeting new people, holding a conversation at a social event, doing public speaking, or even doing sales work, so I don't believe I would ever be classified as "shy." Not to say though that I LIKE to do those things. I don't usually. Having thought about this quite a bit, I've come to the conclusion that a person can have highly developed communication skills without an accompanying personality that ensures they are enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Haha, I can get with this to a point. I do think as introverts we have to be balanced and strive for the good and to quinch our weaknesses. I think one of our biggest weaknesses is selfishness. I know it's mine. I'd rather go home, catch up on "Breaking Bad" and/or play Madden until I'm ready to go to bed or etc., but the truth is, I have to be giving to other people. If everyone was as selfish and into themselves as I want to be or tended to be then this world would be crazy crappy. I hear what you're saying, I definitely feel you have to set boundaries, I just think it has to be within reason and not to a point when my defining characteristic is me just doing me...that's not love IMO.
I hear you loud and clear, and do not take offense to what you say....you gave me some good food for thought...and yes, I know I'm selfish in many ways...b/c I've been alone for about 16 -18 years and have grown accustomed to pleasing myself.

Thank you

Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I hear you loud and clear, and do not take offense to what you say....you gave me some good food for thought...and yes, I know I'm selfish in many ways...b/c I've been alone for about 16 -18 years and have grown accustomed to pleasing myself.

Thank you
Wow some objectivity on this! Thanks homie! It's hard on us out here!!! I also realized that it explains why my change in frame of mind can come off "moody" to people. I realized it's not that I'm in a bad mood, just a different mood, I'm a little exhausted by all the talking and etc., and I'm starting to get introspective and etc., took me a while to figure that one out, I was like, "I'm not moody!!!!!"I learned that once I started not paying attention to what people are saying, having them repeat themselves because I'm daydreaming, or I feel like I'm done talking, it's probably best I get away and rejuvenate. Cheers!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I am certainly an introvert. I have, however, no problem meeting new people, holding a conversation at a social event, doing public speaking, or even doing sales work, so I don't believe I would ever be classified as "shy." Not to say though that I LIKE to do those things. I don't usually. Having thought about this quite a bit, I've come to the conclusion that a person can have highly developed communication skills without an accompanying personality that ensures they are enjoyed.
Man, that's deep. I feel this way about myself. I don't like speaking in public and I've had more sales jobs than any other job and was good at it. At my current job, I'm not seen as an introvert at all because I've been here so long that I'm comfortable talking to people and have an important position in which I have to communicate a lot but you hit it on the nail, I'm a great communicator but not in love with doing so, well unless it's via writing. Nice post!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I started this thread because the best people I know are smart, socially capable enough, have a dry sense of humor, and tend more toward the reserved side. I get tired of the negativity toward introversion manifested on C-D. Half the people in the U.S. would probably test as introverted. Half the people in the U.S. are not hated.

Extroverts are fun, there's no doubt about that, but in limited doses.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have no problem holding a conversation with someone in an adjacent plane seat or in a coffeehouse, debating with a service adviser at a car dealership, or pushing through a customer service issue to see it resolved. However, I would still consider myself an introvert. Any others like this?

Yes, much the same. When I did Myers - Brigg in college about 2 decades ago, I was ESTJ when I took it a few years back I was ISTJ by slight edge. I wonder if there have been long term studies to see how much 'migration' individuals experience?

Still recall funny experience in high school class. My psych teacher thought I was an extrovert but my friends corrected her. Since I wasn't shy and love to learn, I generally participated in class discussions a lot and didn't care what other students thought. Outside of the various realms of day to day existence I like to think, more than run my mouth but when opportunities present themselves in various arenas for whatever reasons, such as taking auto to dealer for service, I will talk to most everyone from parts dept to billing secretary to sales reps, rather than kill brain cells in the waiting area where some idiot will usually have the TV on some inane morning / daytime show. If or when the situation dictates I can be the life of the party (tho I'm not a 'party seeker' kind). This usually is surprising to people and sometimes disconcerting because they can not 'peg' you easily to some typology i.e. stereotypes prevalent in our over saturated media inculcated society.

I think TracySam's comment summed it up very well. I don't derive 'energy' from others. I can derive 'energy' on my own in quiet solitude / internal games - and sometimes internal dialogue in my head! .

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I, too, use TracySam's definition of introversion: time with others depletes me, while time alone fills me up. And in that case, I am certainly an introvert. I have, however, no problem meeting new people, holding a conversation at a social event, doing public speaking, or even doing sales work, so I don't believe I would ever be classified as "shy." Not to say though that I LIKE to do those things. I don't usually. Having thought about this quite a bit, I've come to the conclusion that a person can have highly developed communication skills without an accompanying personality that ensures they are enjoyed.

So true, I've held training positions where I spent lots of time speaking to groups and even doing broadcast format. Public speaking to me was always fun! Sales could or might not be enjoyable depending on the type of sales but meeting people and learning from others life experiences is great. I find I tend to go into a combination of two modes: 'investigative reporter' when I meet people interesting with a rich experience or different life experience than myself or am accustomed too, and congenial diverse old style 'talk show host' to ply and have fun.

I consider social communication activity as separate from any spectrum of intro - extro version. I just tend to not like a lot of extraneous verbalizing with no purpose.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
I definitely don't talk much in public, but it's usually because I have nothing to say rather than being afraid of saying it.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
By definition I'm an introvert. I have no interest in having a conversation with anybody except when the conversation will lead to a goal of resolving a problem. I will also talk all day long if it serves a purpose. As soon as a conversation goes circular I stop talking.

Extroverts just want to hear noise coming from their mouths and the context of the conversation having no point. For some reason extroverts have the impression that introverts are slow. But when I look at all the successful people I have known, they are all introverts.

The Myers-Brigs that I have taken several times in my life have always identifies me as the same type. In the description for that type it said that I will appear to other people to be an extrovert when I am actually an introvert.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 AM

353 posts, read 580,643 times
I am in introvert. Often accused as rude or standoffish. It is ridiculous, people are so quick to jump into conclusions and just label you with some crap. I am no social butterfly and do not consider myself shy ether. Just prefer to do more solitary thing for myself as reading and getting more exercise. Nobody seem to get that. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology