Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM

146 posts, read 520,419 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone i will be turning twenty on sunday, and while i am very excited i am also scared out of my mind. It finally hit me today that woah im no longer a teenager, and that i am in my twenties! It is really depressing i just had the biggest reality check that i am no longer a child, or have any sort of childhood left. I am an adult now. Its not that i am not capable of having adult responsibilities i go to school, and hold a job its just extremely scary to me that i feel like the best days of my life are behind me. I will never be able to get my teens back, and it seems as though they flew by so quickly. Did anyone else feel this way when they turned a milestone age such as this? Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
19 and 20 were meh for me. there was literally nothing special about them. You didn't gain any legal rights that you didn't already have at 18. 30 scares me much more than 20 ever did. Luckily that's still several years down the road. The last birthday that'll ever have any significant meaning in your life is 21. After that, who really cares.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,348 times
Eh, being a teen was fun and all but seriously I'd rather be at the age I am now (31) than any other age before.

I'm way smarter, experienced, wiser and happier at this point in my life. And I expect this to continue as I get older as I still have a lot to learn.

The only thing I do miss is eating a large pizza in a sitting and not gaining any weight.

But I think I thought about things like this when I was turing 20-21, but really my 20's were pretty good and I expect my 30's will be even better.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM

306 posts, read 758,038 times
Age is relative. You'll adjust...enjoy the ride!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
I noted it similarly to, but what are you going to do? People age, that's life, and you've just got to move on to the next stage and try to do the best you can with this new stage of life. The worst thing you can do is not embrace it and try to not grow up, that always leads to hardship in my experience.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
hi whitegiant I was talking about this in another thread. birthdays literally depress me, it just gets worse every year but then again it helps that I am behind.
luckily 20 is not that old. your mental capacity hasn't reached its peak yet and you can get away with being immature because you're still at college age.
unfortunately for me, even though I swear I don't believe my age I already technically passed it...
and it did pass by quickly

so just enjoy the time you have. I think many people don't consider someone an adult til they're 21..others, 25.

be responsible of course but don't be old because I think when people try too hard to grow up, they end up becoming immature in a bad way (esp if they work in big business) in other words the only thing that you have to do is what you're doing now...you're trying to support yourself and of course respect those who deserve respect. everything else should be thrown out the window.

Last edited by Nickchick; 02-15-2013 at 01:02 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
You legally became an adult when you turned 18.

But if it makes you feel better, experts say that the final stage of brain development is reached around age 25 so until then, you are still greatly maturing, developing, changing, etc.

Maturation of the Prefrontal Cortex

Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Worried about being 20? try times three then you 'll have worries

Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,999 times
I agree with what WindStar said. If you enjoyed your teens, I bet the 20's will be even better.

You bring up milestones. 20 was easy. 30, fine. 40 seemed a little older (still a kid at heart). Not sure what 50 will bring, but mid 40's somehow has sent me for a loop dealing with life.

You'll forget about the number in no time.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Oh, my! This must be something new. Now, at 58, when I was younger, 40 was the dreaded age. Used to be that people looked forward to becoming an adult and not being a child anymore. I am guessing if you ask older people what the best years of their lives were, you won't get the "teen years". Perhaps, you wanted to grow up to be Peter Pan? Always a child? Do you have any adult plans? Finding a life partner? Children? Maybe moving somewhere else? Traveling? I turned 20 in MI, 21 in AK and on and on. I have two sons, have traveled extensively and had a variety of jobs. I have experienced all sort of weather across the US. So many people, places, etc. to experience and so little time. Life has been great. I look forward to birthdays as milestones. The wisdom you gain with each passing year is priceless. If you develop a serious issue with the aging thing and feel more than a little blue about it, seek counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology