U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,438,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well what do you think is worse, prescription medication or drowning your sorrows in alcohol?
Both can lead to destruction especially when the two are mixed. My uncle has been an alcoholic for most of his life. He had a violent and horrible childhood. He dealt with it by drinking, his mom was a drinker as well. A few years ago his wife died of cancer and he was given anxiety/depression meds to help him cope. No one asked about his medical history. So now he mixes the two to cope with life. I think men especially in my uncles generation were told it is not ok to cry or be upset. Some men can only hold it in so long before it starts to eat them up inside. I try really hard to teach my son to tell me how he is feeling and express it with words instead of getting angry. I explain to him that anger is ok but you have to deal with the feelings that come with it. Rationalize it and not bottle it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM

392 posts, read 311,705 times
Never give up or give in...the alternative to living is a worthless thing. Better to be alive and suffer the odd bit of misery than not be here at all. Be grateful for this life you have. You get one run at it and even a saddened life is worth the trip.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 PM

29,174 posts, read 28,232,542 times
Is it? A life of anguish and despair is worth the trip? Some would beg to differ.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 PM

8,012 posts, read 7,159,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Never give up or give in...the alternative to living is a worthless thing. Better to be alive and suffer the odd bit of misery than not be here at all. Be grateful for this life you have. You get one run at it and even a saddened life is worth the trip.
That's truly a matter of opinion.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 590 times
Damn girls why do you demonize men even when discribing mens issues ("oh men commit suicide more because they can't handle life like woman can.") you wouldn't be saying that if the suicide was high among woman, you would be saying something more like ("why are woman killing themselves so much, oh its the men who are causing this such pigs") most woman such hypocrites

Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM

214 posts, read 200,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Interesting that this spiked after 1950. When men realized that women weren't going to have their babies, look pretty in the typing pool and mix their drinks for them, they realized life is not worth living? I know as a man born in the late 20th century, I personally feel cheated.

Nice try as to the reason for the spike in men's suicide in the 60's, but alas, wrong.

The primary reasons are two-fold, with both reasons having to do with the social turbulence and strife that permeated that decade.

1--Vietnam. We lost almost 60,000 in combat during the Vietnam war, but what a lot of people don't know is that probably four times that amount who were egregiously psychologically damaged in that war committed suicide over the course of the following three decades, with the peak coming in the late-60s & the 70s.

2--Drugs. We all know about the hippie movement; the "tune in, turn on, and drop out" pop psychology of Tim Leary. Drug use was prevalent of course with both sexes, but men have always and will always outnumber women when it comes to killing themselves with drugs and/or alcohol. Too, I'm guessing that some of these so-called "suicides" mentioned in the survey chart are including unintentional overdoses for young men. But they still count.

Lastly, too bad the graph stops at the year 2000, just before we entered out ill-conceived 10-year war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Because I'm guessing had the chart continued up until 2012 or so, that we would see a similar spike for males. I am a veteran and work with the VA on occasion and am aware that, just as with Vietnam, an amazing proportion of young men are committing suicide upon returning home from the Middle East.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 PM

13,402 posts, read 7,145,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationality View Post
Damn girls why do you demonize men even when discribing mens issues ("oh men commit suicide more because they can't handle life like woman can.") you wouldn't be saying that if the suicide was high among woman, you would be saying something more like ("why are woman killing themselves so much, oh its the men who are causing this such pigs") most woman such hypocrites
You may have a point here......sort of.

I'm not going to go through 11 pages, but has anyone pointed out the difference in suicide attempts between Men and Women?

That women attempt suicide more often than men but men usually are successful the first time. That women usually use not so sure methods of suicide (pills, the wrists) but men use more violent, more successful methods (guns, automobiles).

So if one is looking for why the difference in the graph between the sexes, keep that in mind. One should be asking "What's the rate of people trying to kill themselves, successful or not?".

Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,434,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

I'm not going to go through 11 pages, but has anyone pointed out the difference in suicide attempts between Men and Women?

That women attempt suicide more often than men but men usually are successful the first time. That women usually use not so sure methods of suicide (pills, the wrists) but men use more violent, more successful methods (guns, automobiles).

So if one is looking for why the difference in the graph between the sexes, keep that in mind. One should be asking "What's the rate of people trying to kill themselves, successful or not?".
Excellent points!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,627,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Very easy. The spike correspond to the time when the American dream became a market commodity sold to everyone.(around the world)

New technology, (tv) allowed to sell the idea that the American dream was a must for any self respecting male. If you don´t have a big house in suburbia, a big car, a hot trophy wife, a hot trophy mistress, and send your kids to an Ivy League college, then you are a loser and you'll die alone and poor.

Before the 50s/60s people didn´t give a hoot about product brands, houses, cars, etc, because they didn´t see them on tv. The social pressure to keep up with the neibours was softer. All of a sudden millions of people saw on a daily basis rolemodels (actors), the right people doing the right things and consuming the right products.

So males are obviously more vulnerable to this phenomena, for the reasons stated on my previous post.
I think this is precisely the cause for the spike. All the other things mentioned have always been present - wars, overpopulation in cities, etc etc. There's a fantastic book that talks about the American obsession with "oversuccess":

OverSuccess: Healing the American Obsession With Wealth, Fame, Power, and Perfection: Jim Rubens: 9781929774760: Amazon.com: Books

It was also around the early 70s when wages started to stagnate and economic inequality began to rise alarmingly fast. This, coupled with the mass marketed idea of what it means to be a successful man, surely must have contributed significantly to feelings of worthlessness or hopelessness among the many men who committed suicide.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,627,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Yes, this was pointed out earlier by another poster, and it's definitely something to keep in mind in this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology