U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,844,028 times

Advertisements

Impulse control, access to guns. And, not having any kids to be rsponsible for...women with kids to take care of, usually have to pull it together, and can't really spend the time in the pity party...sure, some women do, but not many. Less woman drink, and use drugs, for the same reason, they have kids to take care of.

More men have guns than women. Men are more likely to have more financial probllems than women, and feel more pressure to be successful. Also, the stigma of being gay for a man, can be very difficult to manage for some men, it seems that lesbians are more accepted than gay men, in families.

Not sure about this...could men be more emotionally attached than women? I have known men who tried to commit suicide, three of them were because their wives or GF broke up with them...

Also, could women be more likely to reach out, to someone for help, than a mna? Men may keep things in, and just can't deal with it...it seems to me, that talking about things with another person, puts situations in perspective, and what seems to be so terrible, can really be re-framed into just a bump in the road, time to change directions...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,284,702 times
I thought it might have something to do with the lowering of the legal drinking age. I did a Google search and I think I'm partly right: Alcohol and adolescent suicide

The doubling in the suicide rate in young people from 1956 to 1993 is blamed on adolescent alcohol abuse. The article mentions the availability of alcohol and guns in the home as contributing factors.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM

8,012 posts, read 7,148,298 times
There really aren't many socially acceptable for males to express their frustrations and emotions accept for drugs and violence. I mean legally those aren't acceptable but guys who partake in those behaviors will get more respect than those who want to vent or talk about their feelings.

Your even lauded as a wuss if you see a therapist. At least the attitude towards therapy is becoming more accepted.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,641,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
You all have to note that these graphs are only measuring completed suicides. So, this is totally disregarding attempts.

Statistically, males and females attempt at a fairly similar rate, however males are much more likely to complete their suicides due to the means that they use. Males are more likely to use much more lethal means for suicides than females.
This. Women are more likely to use sleeping pills or something along those lines. Men? Blow to the head.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 AM

3,499 posts, read 4,190,738 times
is it per 100 or 1000?

because, if you're seriously saying that nearly one in four men aged 15-24 killed themselves in the early 90s...that's pretty messed up.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM

20,280 posts, read 23,823,458 times
IMO, these charts are very misleading!

Drug addicts, alcoholics, workaholics fall into the category of slower forms of suicide, but suicide is suicide?

And if we add these to the statistics, what would the results be?

I will never argue the fact that women are stronger than men, but when it comes to intelligence, I think men have an edge over women. Thus, the higher rate of suicide?

That aphorism of Oscar Wilde makes more sense to men? The greatest compliment you can pay society is to commit suicide!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,203,964 times
Speaking as a man who's tried to kill himself a few times, I think its pretty obvious: We live in a society that readily accepts women talking about their emotional problems but basically brands any man that admits to feeling hopeless and depressed as a weakling.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,918,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Speaking as a man who's tried to kill himself a few times, I think its pretty obvious: We live in a society that readily accepts women talking about their emotional problems but basically brands any man that admits to feeling hopeless and depressed as a weakling.
Exactly!!!

Now throw in a mental illness that STILL results in a social stigma and it's a disaster.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,395,397 times
Interesting to see the drop-off after 1990 or so. Dropping to a high, but somewhat stable rate in the 1990s and 2000s?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM

29,134 posts, read 28,164,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
IMO, these charts are very misleading!

Drug addicts, alcoholics, workaholics fall into the category of slower forms of suicide, but suicide is suicide?

And if we add these to the statistics, what would the results be?

I will never argue the fact that women are stronger than men, but when it comes to intelligence, I think men have an edge over women. Thus, the higher rate of suicide?

That aphorism of Oscar Wilde makes more sense to men? The greatest compliment you can pay society is to commit suicide!
Oh, tell me I'm having a nightmare and you didn't say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology