Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times

Advertisements

Doing a grad paper on a cultural construct/image/object and how it shapes our reality. I have a few ideas, but wanted to know what plays significant role in constructing your individual reality?

I want to stray away from the expected (technology, cell phones, email, Facebook, texting etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Fishing.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Glad you asked!

I am quite unusual.... I don't watch TV and don't even have paid TV.

Rather I read non-fiction books and read the news from main stream internet sources. (Facts, not fantasy or fiction!)

Thus I am not paranoid anyone will attack me (I feel quite secure) and am not afraid of catching "germs" from shopping carts.

I am quite worried about someone "texting" and crashing into my car though...

Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Reality is the deck of cards each day deals me. In other words it just presents itself and I respond. The culture I live in influences that, but it's just another part of the picture to me. I don't get too hung up on how culture influences my reality because if it weren't this culture, it'd be another one. It's like wondering how air influences me.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
My senses.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Doing a grad paper on a cultural construct/image/object and how it shapes our reality. I have a few ideas, but wanted to know what plays significant role in constructing your individual reality?
I'm not sure that I really understand what sorts of things you are looking for - perhaps after I see a few examples I will update my answer, but for the moment, here is what comes to mind: I spend a great deal of time reading books and articles in the science and philosophy, especially quantum physics, cosmology, and philosophy of mind. My mind is always reeling with alternative views (two or more sides to every philosophical argument), and various competing theories in physics (e.g. twistor theory, string theory, the standard model, etc.), in particle physics; various interpretations of quantum mechanics; various theories of the "multiverse" or "bubble universes" in cosmology; a mind-boggling array of failed attempts to come up with a "theory of consciousness" in philosophy of mind. And during all of this time that I spend studying this stuff, I'm try to construct my own theories (I'm writing a sci-fi novel and I really want to put something "completely new" out there, if I possible can), so I'm constantly trying to "deconstruct" the various ideas and images that construct my reality. Take the notion of "object," for example. What is an "object"? What is a "subject"? And how are these concepts related? What are the origins of such concepts as "self" and "other"?

You might say that one of the major underlying themes of my life is a quest to uncover, analyze, and hopefully revolutionize the foundational assumptions and images that guide my thinking. So, having said all of that: What do I think constructs my reality? I guess the concept of a "quest" has to be one of the cornerstones - a raw, deep, intuitive - one might say "spiritual" feeling of "struggling to get somewhere" that seems profoundly (albeit vaguely) important. I can think of many different cultural roots for this sort of thing, but probably the one that comes to mind most easily for me is the Native American "vision quest." I sometimes wonder if a lot of this, for me, is rooted in the original Star Trek TV series. I was about 10 years old when the original series was first aired, and I was enthralled with space, the universe, and the general sense of wonder - "What's out there?" Hence, perhaps my sense of a "quest" is to some extent rooted in the general notion of exploring the unknown of both "outer" and "inner" space.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
If,
"I think therefore I am".
then,
"I think it therefore it is".

?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
A "a cultural construct/image/object" that "plays significant role in constructing your individual reality" and you want to "stray away from the expected (technology, cell phones, email, Facebook, texting etc)"...

A single image that constructs my entire reality? lol. Mcdonalds.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I am quite unusual.... I don't watch TV and don't even have paid TV.

Rather I read non-fiction books
I also do not watch TV nor have a paid television, and I also read non-fiction books--though I do not follow the news. Unfortunately, I'm caught up in another time period than this one, so I am constantly reading history books. It's great to encounter someone else who shares this in common with me.

Sometimes I tend to construct my own reality -- I write, so I spend a good deal of time with imaginary characters (the current ones actually based on people who did live once), and running through imaginary scenes in my mind. Then theres the non-fiction side of me; yet, a good deal of this is researching into the background for my historical fiction novel.

So I suppose it is mostly writing which constructs my reality.

I've also just got done with a long day at work, so I'm not processing your question very thoroughly; what I provided above is a quick, cursory response to the topic.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
my involvement in dog rescue (responding to applications to adopt dogs, dealing with dogs that are surrendered or in urgent need) is frequently a framework for how I structure my time. My husband's involvement in running (participates in marathons and trains others in running classes) has a big impact on our weekly schedules and how we structure our free time and even vacations.

growing up as the daughter of a holocaust survivor had a compelling influence on our family's response to a variety of situations and how little we were involved in community, and how "under the radar" our parents operated. My Dad's horrific experience has impacted my entire life, is also felt by my adult son, and this family history and beliefs as a result has been even shared with my granddaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology