Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post

Manners are increasingly becoming obsolete though. A few years ago I had an aquaintance over. I had prepared food and was serving a plate to my youngest son, he said "thank you." Her son said the same to her once she presented his plate and she stated, "you don't have to thank your mom, silly."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
... but it would be ridiculous for me to personally thank the customer for reasons I posted above.
I understand that societies and languages and customs change.....but statements like these just leave me speechless. Why in the world would people intentionally not say thank you in these instances???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM

43 posts, read 100,159 times
People said you must give and not expect back...sadly some people understand it wrong. You must thank someone for something they give to you or do for you

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I understand that societies and languages and customs change.....but statements like these just leave me speechless. Why in the world would people intentionally not say thank you in these instances???

You have to re-read my post or maybe I was not clear enough. I have heard people say that they expect cashiers to say "Thank you for shopping here at _____". I think that statement is unnecessary, and since customers usually say "Thank you" when receiving their receipt or change, I usually say "Have a good day". If I was working for a family-owned business or a small town bakery, I would definitely say Thank you, but in retail, it's not a cashier's job to personally thank the customers for deciding to shop at the store you are employed at.

But, there are situations in which I might ask for a penny to avoid giving back 24 cents. I will always thank the customer for looking for a penny to give to me. I'm specifically talking about saying thank you in response to the customer's decision as to where to shop. Maybe you still disagree, but hopefully that's more clear.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
It does seem like it. The only people who use courtesies are the ones who are practically required to as part of their job, like baristas or cashiers at upscale stores (lowscale store staff know they get paid the same anyway and are stuck there in this economy, so they don't bother.)

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
You have to re-read my post or maybe I was not clear enough.
I think what you are clearly saying is that you do not owe your customers a "thank you" for their business, and I happen to disagree. Now, I'm not saying you must formally say "Thank you for shopping at Piggly Wiggly," or whatever, but a thank you should be given to the customer at some point. Even a casual, "Thanks, have a great day!"

Heck, when I hold a garage sale I say thank you to the people who buy a little 25 cent trinket. My husband and I say thank you numerous times a day to each other (maybe the fact that we show our genuine appreciation to each other is one of the reasons we so frequently do nice things for each other.) I say thank you to the flight attendants and pilot when I get off a plane. I could go on and on. I don't normally think about it that much, but now that I am thinking about it, I realize that I do say thank you in nearly every interaction I have with people. Attitude of gratitude I guess.

And it's a two-way street. I am thankful for cashiers like yankees1212 who stand on their feet all day so that I can make the purchases I need. But she should also be thankful that I choose to be a customer there. Just a nice little thanks on each end goes a long way, to me.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think what you are clearly saying is that you do not owe your customers a "thank you" for their business, and I happen to disagree. Now, I'm not saying you must formally say "Thank you for shopping at Piggly Wiggly," or whatever, but a thank you should be given to the customer at some point. Even a casual, "Thanks, have a great day!"

Heck, when I hold a garage sale I say thank you to the people who buy a little 25 cent trinket. My husband and I say thank you numerous times a day to each other (maybe the fact that we show our genuine appreciation to each other is one of the reasons we so frequently do nice things for each other.) I say thank you to the flight attendants and pilot when I get off a plane. I could go on and on. I don't normally think about it that much, but now that I am thinking about it, I realize that I do say thank you in nearly every interaction I have with people. Attitude of gratitude I guess.

And it's a two-way street. I am thankful for cashiers like yankees1212 who stand on their feet all day so that I can make the purchases I need. But she should also be thankful that I choose to be a customer there. Just a nice little thanks on each end goes a long way, to me.
I'm a guy lol but don't worry about it. I guess my writing style comes off as girlish . Thanks for the kind words and from now on, I'll switch to the more casual phrase since I see your point.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
I say thank you to everyone, cashiers, toll takers, the flight crew as I disembark a plane, etc, etc. It only takes a second and lets people who are often in jobs where they take abuse on a daily basis know that some people do appreciate the job they are doing.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 AM

355 posts, read 912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I say thank you to everyone, cashiers, toll takers, the flight crew as I disembark a plane, etc, etc. It only takes a second and lets people who are often in jobs where they take abuse on a daily basis know that some people do appreciate the job they are doing.
This.

And if I owned a business, that required cashiers- I would require my employees to thank the customers to show appreciation for their business. There are a lot of stores selling the same thing at basically the same price. You need to be different somehow- the way to do that is customer service.

Cashiers are the face of the business and oftentimes the only interaction a customer may have. Who else will do that, the screen print on the plastic bag? The receipt?

You can never go wrong being polite.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,257 times
I always enjoy saying "thank you" whenever I can...But over the years I've tried to limit my "thank you's" with certain people because they come all unglued if I say "thank you" too much. Guess they feel embarrassed or ?...I grew-up with parents who always said "thank you" to each other and me. And I carried on this tradition when I had kids and a family of my own...Saying "thank you" was normal and natural for me when I had customer service jobs...And I still send out "thank you" cards in the mail. (Or emails.) And I truly enjoy "thanking" people....But sometimes I feel like a freak or weirdo because saying "thank you" isn't always the norm anymore.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Just go to the self check out. The machine never fails to say "Thank you." Problem solved.

You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology