Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,473,779 times

Advertisements

I think it is alright to watch MLP every now and then, but just not to obsess over it. I don't understand why anyone would obsess over this show. It is cute, and it is something neutral (which for me means not annoying) to watch on Saturday mornings while you are doing chores around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,991,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
No more so than the rest of the population; there may be some that are pedophiles, but I'd like to see some evidence that there's a correlation before we start labelling a group of people with the P-word. And if we're going to be honest, I'd rather have kids watched by bronies than by Catholic priests.
So all this started because I said I think it's kind of sick and I gave a hypothetical. I wouldn't be comfortable. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling that way and yes you're right, it could have the same correlation as the rest of the population. Still not comfortable.

Same thing as me not feeling comfortable if I a male doctor or nurse assessed my child in the doctors office without me present.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,968,382 times
I gonna us this stuff as a pick up line tomorrow night. "Hi sweetie...wanna come to my place and play with my little ponie?"

Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,811,078 times
My daughter (13) came home from school talking about Bronies about a year ago. Apparently they "bro-hoof" one another (give each other fist bumps). I think it's pretty hilarious to hear about. It's less hilarious when 20-something dudes think it's super cool to show the world they're bronies by singing the theme song loudly, or constantly talking to everyone they can about it. I work at a college, and that's happened a few times now. But that's really just being obnoxious and socially challenged to begin with.

For the record, I created the female version of the bro-hoof. My daughter and I will "pega-hoof" one another (because pegasuses are awesome).

Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,148,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I think it is alright to watch MLP every now and then, but just not to obsess over it. I don't understand why anyone would obsess over this show. It is cute, and it is something neutral (which for me means not annoying) to watch on Saturday mornings while you are doing chores around the house.
They're a fandom. People in fandoms obsess over a given target.

They're neither better nor worse than fandoms for things like Supernatural, Hetalia, Merlin, Homestuck, Doctor Who, Star Trek, LoTR, etc.

Okay, maybe scratch the Homestuck fandom off that list. We are pretty bad at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
My daughter (13) came home from school talking about Bronies about a year ago. Apparently they "bro-hoof" one another (give each other fist bumps). I think it's pretty hilarious to hear about. It's less hilarious when 20-something dudes think it's super cool to show the world they're bronies by singing the theme song loudly, or constantly talking to everyone they can about it. I work at a college, and that's happened a few times now. But that's really just being obnoxious and socially challenged to begin with.
Most of the "Over 20 Bronies" I know merely have a few pony shirts (I have a Doctor Whooves one), only sing the theme song at conventions, etc. Only two brony males I know go as far as cosplaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
For the record, I created the female version of the bro-hoof. My daughter and I will "pega-hoof" one another (because pegasuses are awesome).
... Pegasisters have been pega-hoofing since season one...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM

585 posts, read 963,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I initially thought this was a joke. Apparently it is not.

My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as 'Bronies' | Underwire | Wired.com

I mean, really, how can full grown men be this way? And the guy isn't even embarrassed apparently to have his name and photo published.
I'm one. I admit it. I've been one since they first started the show in the '80s (I'll admit they've improved since the '80s.). I'll also admit that I'm a Moonie (Sailor Moon fan) and a sort of Carebears (The older 80s version was much better) fan. I even enjoyed Powerpuff Girls. Some of these shows offer a lot more than the blood and violence of programs like Dragon Ball Z.

The Japanese stuff has a lot more emotional conflict and romance in the shows catering to the young girls. These days the best example in my viewing habits that caters to children of both genders is probably Adventure Time. For boys I'd probably say Naruto has a bit of the complex story lines but still.

With Dragon Ball Z and the other seasons, shows whatever they were, it seemed like all it was was just fighting. One guy would generally be surprised that the other became more powerful because they were training or something and then they'd start training so they could be more powerful than them and it would turn into some never ending competition until they both have this huge fight and cause, what I would guess was billions of dollars in property damage. You get turned off to the violence after a while.

That's where shows like My Little Pony comes in. Granted, I won't buy the toys or whatever else they're selling (maybe DVDs and comics when I'm living on my own) but I like the show nonetheless.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 AM

13,580 posts, read 15,594,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
They're a fandom. People in fandoms obsess over a given target.

They're neither better nor worse than fandoms for things like Supernatural, Hetalia, Merlin, Homestuck, Doctor Who, Star Trek, LoTR, etc.
I'm familiar with Doctor Who and Star Trek. I do not have a problem with males in their 20's or 30's enjoying those shows, because they're age and gender appropriate for males in their 20's or 30's. However, when you've got full grown men obsessing over a show targeted at preteen girls, that's where it gets creepy for me.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 AM

13,580 posts, read 15,594,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
I'm one. I admit it. I've been one since they first started the show in the '80s (I'll admit they've improved since the '80s.). I'll also admit that I'm a Moonie (Sailor Moon fan) and a sort of Carebears (The older 80s version was much better) fan. I even enjoyed Powerpuff Girls. Some of these shows offer a lot more than the blood and violence of programs like Dragon Ball Z.

The Japanese stuff has a lot more emotional conflict and romance in the shows catering to the young girls. These days the best example in my viewing habits that caters to children of both genders is probably Adventure Time. For boys I'd probably say Naruto has a bit of the complex story lines but still.

With Dragon Ball Z and the other seasons, shows whatever they were, it seemed like all it was was just fighting. One guy would generally be surprised that the other became more powerful because they were training or something and then they'd start training so they could be more powerful than them and it would turn into some never ending competition until they both have this huge fight and cause, what I would guess was billions of dollars in property damage. You get turned off to the violence after a while.

That's where shows like My Little Pony comes in. Granted, I won't buy the toys or whatever else they're selling (maybe DVDs and comics when I'm living on my own) but I like the show nonetheless.
May I ask you age and gender?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,501,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I met someone online - a 'brony' - if you will, and did think his enthusiasm for the show a little odd...I did watch the first episode and must say it's pretty entertaining though, but I didn't become a huge fan or anything. I also enjoyed the Powerpuff Girl's when I was a kid and never actually thought that was a really girly show, just that that was it's facade.
The reason people like My Little Pony is the exact same reason you liked Power Puff Girls. They were created by the exact same woman and have some of the same voice actors. They're girl's programming that tries to also tell stories well. Liking My Little Pony is about getting over yourself, about appreciating that a show so completely over the top aimed at little girls truly is an impressive example of its genre, that is consistently entertaining and good at what it does. I think the reason Bronies appear is that there's a certain liberation that comes of that realization. Men are so completely dominated by social structures, in a way women are excused from, that the mere act of admitting to oneself that its good and you find it entertaining can be deeply cathartic on some level. That, and finding oneself in the often unexpected experience of being a grown man who unironically enjoys My Little Pony is so completely hilarious, bizarre, and oddly radical that people are drawn to it.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,931,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The reason people like My Little Pony is the exact same reason you liked Power Puff Girls. They were created by the exact same woman and have some of the same voice actors. They're girl's programming that tries to also tell stories well. Liking My Little Pony is about getting over yourself, about appreciating that a show so completely over the top aimed at little girls truly is an impressive example of its genre, that is consistently entertaining and good at what it does. I think the reason Bronies appear is that there's a certain liberation that comes of that realization. Men are so completely dominated by social structures, in a way women are excused from, that the mere act of admitting to oneself that its good and you find it entertaining can be deeply cathartic on some level. That, and finding oneself in the often unexpected experience of being a grown man who unironically enjoys My Little Pony is so completely hilarious, bizarre, and oddly radical that people are drawn to it.
Definitely, I think people who close themselves off from certain things for risk of being made fun of are missing out on shows which explore universal themes that apply to all of us. The bronie phenomena might be attempt to give a big middle finger to the establishment, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology